PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with me????

Tenderheart
10-08-2009, 15:02
Well, this week ws my annual vacation week. For nine years, since my thru hike, my dingo and I have always spent the time backpacking on the AT or the Foothills Trail. We were all set to go this time, with food bought and everything. The night before, I still hadn't packed any gear or even taken my pack out of the closet. The morning we were to leave, I told my wife that we would just wait until the next day to leave. Here it is Thursday, and I still haven't made any effort, and obviously, have missed the opportunity. Could it be that I'm over this madness called backpacking? It is a permanent condition? Has anyone experienced this?
I have been backpacking since the 60's and have always enjoyed it. I am an avid runner and run every day, so conditioning is not the problem. I just can't get motivated anymore. What's wrong with me????:confused:

Buzz_Lightfoot
10-08-2009, 15:05
Well, this week ws my annual vacation week. For nine years, since my thru hike, my dingo and I have always spent the time backpacking on the AT or the Foothills Trail. We were all set to go this time, with food bought and everything. The night before, I still hadn't packed any gear or even taken my pack out of the closet. The morning we were to leave, I told my wife that we would just wait until the next day to leave. Here it is Thursday, and I still haven't made any effort, and obviously, have missed the opportunity. Could it be that I'm over this madness called backpacking? It is a permanent condition? Has anyone experienced this?
I have been backpacking since the 60's and have always enjoyed it. I am an avid runner and run every day, so conditioning is not the problem. I just can't get motivated anymore. What's wrong with me????:confused:

You sound like me. I've been there/done that too. There are times I had to literally FORCE myself to go out. Once I am "out there", I always enjoy it. Next time just smack yourself on the back of the head and GO!

Jonnycat
10-08-2009, 15:08
A few years ago I only had four bag nights. Just was kind of lazy and didn't want to give up my creature comforts. The next year I got a good case of cabin fever early in the spring, and really looked forward to going out.

Enjoy whatever it is that you are doing, even if it is doing relatively nothing. You'll get the bug back when you're ready for it.

TD55
10-08-2009, 15:40
This is a common illness called lackahikingmotivationitis. I've had it many times over the decades. Besides taking two aspirins, drinking plenty of fluids and getting lots of bedrest, I have found that talking to friends about hiking the AT, particularly ones with little or no hiking experience will usualy elicit respones like "I always wanted to do that". Fortunately I have plenty of extra gear. When they learn that they can borrow all the gear they will need and don't have to invest bucks into the adventure, someone always jumps at the oppurtunity for the chance to spend a few days or a week on the trail. That gives me the commitment I need to cure the illness. Also, these turn out to be great trips where I get to know a friend on a different level and sometimes see the trail in a different way. Anyhow, thats what works for me.

The Weasel
10-08-2009, 15:56
Pick someplace totally new and different. I got that way a few years ago and hiked about 20 miles of the beach around North Manito Island in Michigan. Taught me some new skills, felt very different, got me interested in other parts of 'packing.

TW

nox
10-08-2009, 16:06
You need to get excited about it, pick out a new piece of gear you want, buy it, and then you will be forced into going. It's impossible to not try out a new sleeping bag or tent!!

A-Train
10-08-2009, 16:08

why not do a long distance bike trip or canoe/kayak? I haven't grown tired of hiking, but after doing so much of it in the last 6-7 years I'm definitely looking at other options/adventures

ShoelessWanderer
10-08-2009, 16:09
You need to get excited about it, pick out a new piece of gear you want, buy it, and then you will be forced into going. It's impossible to not try out a new sleeping bag or tent!!

Or reading really good books or trail journals about backpacking...oh and checking out really cool pics on whiteblaze, always motivates me to get moving.

Lone Wolf
10-08-2009, 16:44

nothin' wrong with ya. backpacking isn't important to me. it was a lifestyle for 14 years. there's more to life

Tipi Walter
10-08-2009, 17:23

This is very true. There's nothing like a new piece of gear like a tent or backpack to get your juices flowing. And October is probably the best month to be out backpacking.

Or reading really good books or trail journals about backpacking...oh and checking out really cool pics on whiteblaze, always motivates me to get moving.

Yeah, the only time I read a book is when I'm out on the trail.

This is a common illness called lackahikingmotivationitis. I've had it many times over the decades. Besides taking two aspirins, drinking plenty of fluids and getting lots of bedrest, I have found that talking to friends about hiking the AT, particularly ones with little or no hiking experience will usualy elicit respones like "I always wanted to do that". Fortunately I have plenty of extra gear. When they learn that they can borrow all the gear they will need and don't have to invest bucks into the adventure, someone always jumps at the oppurtunity for the chance to spend a few days or a week on the trail. That gives me the commitment I need to cure the illness. Also, these turn out to be great trips where I get to know a friend on a different level and sometimes see the trail in a different way. Anyhow, thats what works for me.

What about this madness called House Dwelling? While most people are tickled pink to in be indoors and near a shower head and flush toilet, I just can't get motivated to stay indoors for long. Can'tstanditindoorsmotivationitis, causing people to drop the mouse and flee the house and to grow weary of all things near a kitchen or a couch.

"For years all I wanted to do was stay close to home, so close as to be actually inside the home, and I did this for many years. But one day I woke up and knew I had the opportunity to stay indoors and on the couch with Dish TV and the remote but there was something missing, the flame dimmed and I just didn't have it in me anymore. Could it be that I'm over this madness called House Dwelling? Is it a permanent condition? Help me."

Blissful
10-08-2009, 19:52
Go when you're ready to go.

For now, enjoy other things in life. I'm sure the wife is happy. :)

MintakaCat
10-08-2009, 20:28
Over the years my interest has moved from hobby to hobby. Keep your gear, in time your interest will move back to backpacking and you'll be glad you did.

Christus Cowboy
10-09-2009, 09:03
......Fortunately I have plenty of extra gear. When they learn that they can borrow all the gear they will need and don't have to invest bucks into the adventure, someone always jumps at the oppurtunity for the chance to spend a few days or a week on the trail. That gives me the commitment I need to cure the illness. Also, these turn out to be great trips where I get to know a friend on a different level and sometimes see the trail in a different way. Anyhow, thats what works for me.

Excellent point being made here on the solution to this illness..... I hike alot with teenage boys from my Sunday School class and allow them to use some of my accumulated gear so they too can go out.... It's not only a great motivation for me but a great experience for them and I get a front row seat as they begin to realize that there is much more to life than laying around playing video games all the time.... Maybe doing what TD55 has suggested helps because it focuses us "outward" using the trail to make us "relevant" in the lives of other people.......

88BlueGT
10-12-2009, 17:18
the same thing happens to me sometimes when its the first time to hit the trail after not going for a while. Once I'm in the car and driving, I get stoked instantly and everything just flows right into place.

Than usually, once I go one time I never want to get off the trail.

Krag
10-12-2009, 17:55
Thanks for the topic.

It would be interesting to have an A/T psychologist volunteer on certain topics.

I am less motivated than I used to be. It has to do with not having other people around to motivate me, hiking partners, siblings, etc. who give the needed encouragement.

If a vivacious twenty-two year old beauty were to grace your path when you still single, would that motivate you to attraction and fun?

Moods also are influenced by circumstances, lack of focus, politics, worries, bad experiences, etc. You may want to make a list of circumstances that have changed since you were last motivated...

johnnybgood
10-12-2009, 18:01
This sounds like me from time to time and in my case it has everything to do with driving nearly 2 hours to get to the mountains. Driving is boring & time consuming, time I'd rather spend hiking.

Also , have you thought about changing up your routine, say going hiking somewhere different , somewhere that you've never been ?

If that doesn't get you motivated...GO buy all new gear at REI.

Just don't mention I was the one that said that.;)

Wise Old Owl
10-12-2009, 18:07

So Our problem has a name! its related to age & beer! wow I feel so much better!:cool:

bloodmountainman
10-12-2009, 20:33
I've been experiencing the lack of motivation thing for over a year now. I haven't had a steady job in over a year. It's hard to kick up the heels and go have fun when there is so much to be concerned with. The job market is terrible, the kids are struggling to make ends meet, the nation seems to be heading straight to hell, war is on a losing trend, and corruption every where you look. Playing Daniel Boone out in the wilderness seems inappropriate to me. I've dreamed for years to have this much time on my hands to hike, but the enjoyment of it just isn't there. To make all this worst, the trail is less than 5 miles from home.

Montego
10-12-2009, 22:03
Sounds like temporary insanity to me. Not to worry though. It passes.

Seriously though, there was a time when creature comforts seemed to be more important than being on a trail, in the mountains, or exploring nature. I guess, with age comes wisdom and the understanding that the rest of the world isn't going to change any, whether your in the woods hiking or not. Might as well just enjoy yourself while your still able to. There will be plenty of time to gaze at the "boob tube" when you get too old to do anything else.

Just hang on to your gear. In time, "cabin fever" will set in and you'll be back out exploring again.

Cookerhiker
10-13-2009, 20:26

Well since we're the same age, I hope I don't catch what you got.:)

Have you asked yourself this question: So I don't go this year because day by day, I don't feel like it, don't want to go. But how will I feel in a week when I look back and see that I wasted an opportunity? That I forewent a chance to hike in beautiful autumn foliage, in crisp weather, getting away from the everyday ratrace that passes for normal?

I guess what I'm saying is that you may change your mind when it's too late for this year. And you'll be kicking yourself.

brian2o0o
10-31-2009, 09:43
I always think about home when i'm on the trail, and think about the trail when I'm at home.

brian2o0o
10-31-2009, 09:44
By the way... I'm not too far from ya litefoot. I'm down in Aiken, go through Iva all the time.

superman
10-31-2009, 10:35

Have you seen this yet? What you're doing is taking a break to go do it again. RE-union next trail daze! I hope to hike right into it as I did in 2000.

ATTENTIONCLASS OF2000!!! What? Collect Appalachian Trail Hikers from the year 2000 for a Ten Year Reunion of ...sorts. Maybe parade together? When? ONE HOUR prior to the Hiker Parade on Saturday, May 15 of Trail Days 2010. The rest of the reunion is up to you. Where? Group picture to be taken on the old Rock School Steps.Why? This could very well be the last time any attempt will be made to gather as many of you as possible in one place at the same time. We hope you will take advantage of it. Tell everyone!! Now boring stuff: If the parade is the same as 2009 (2PM Saturday) our reunion will be 1PM Saturday (1 HR). A couple of volunteer photographers will take group pictures. You will have to contact one of us in order to get the picture sent to your email. Here is all the contact info: There is a Facebook website put together for the class of 2000 by Karen Riessland Murray - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42772320308 (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42772320308) FMI if needed and for the pictures-two other points of contact are:Lynda Holich (Lynda) - [email protected] Ronan (Walkinhome) - [email protected]

Spokes
10-31-2009, 12:45

You don't have swine flu do you?

DirtBagger
10-31-2009, 16:42
I've been experiencing the lack of motivation thing for over a year now. I haven't had a steady job in over a year. It's hard to kick up the heels and go have fun when there is so much to be concerned with. The job market is terrible, the kids are struggling to make ends meet, the nation seems to be heading straight to hell, war is on a losing trend, and corruption every where you look. Playing Daniel Boone out in the wilderness seems inappropriate to me. I've dreamed for years to have this much time on my hands to hike, but the enjoyment of it just isn't there. To make all this worst, the trail is less than 5 miles from home.

What you described is the perfect opportunity - you should go.

Doctari
10-31-2009, 19:08
This happened to me one time, and unlike you, I went anyway. After all, I had planned & packed & such, Therefore I "HAD to go!!!"

I left the house 2 hours "Late" drove the 6 hours to the Smokies. NOW Bear in mind I hate Gatlinburg, I killed 2 hours there just because. OK, so now I'm 4 hours late getting to the trailhead, I finally get my butt in gear & up to Elkmont & the trailhead. I had a 5 day trip planned, I was back in my car before noon on day 3 & happy to be going home.

There was nothing wrong with the hike; Pretty scenery, good weather, great trail, 2 real nice campsites. I just never could get "In the mood". In hind sight, I should have never left home. Had I been on a thru, I honestly don't know what i would do in such a situation. I never did NOT want to hike so bad! I finally got over it & have had many pleasant hikes since.

Fiddleback
11-01-2009, 10:23
I was a very active backpacker in the early 60's and then skipped a decade and a half. Got back into it with my new bride in the early 80's and then skipped a decade and a half again. Got back into it once again in the early 00's and now find myself in a 'dryspell' once again. So?

Backpacking for me has always been for enjoyment. A recreation that also refreshed me and sometimes even built self-confidence. That 'things' have got between me and the trail recently doesn't bother me...I do what I want when I want. In my mind, that's what retirement is all about and My Lady and I worked and planned for an early retirement so we both could do exactly that...whatever we want to do. To make myself hit the trail might kill the enjoyment.

I do share the experience posted above. The gear was packed, the food put together...and I didn't go. Since it was to be a solo trip there was no down side. I stayed home after I realized that's what I really wanted to do.

Through the years I find myself always circling back to things I loved and enjoyed. So while I haven't hit the trail recently I have picked up my guitar again after...you guessed it...a multi-decade break.

Celebrate the freedom to choose to do what you want to do.

FB

DuctTape
11-06-2009, 22:42
I always think about home when i'm on the trail, and think about the trail when I'm at home.

Yep, that just about sums it up.