PDA

View Full Version : Race Brook Falls Trail info

bullseye
10-08-2009, 17:52
I've never used the Race Brook Falls trail to access the AT, and was hoping for some info. How is the trailhead parking and the blazing of the trail? Thanx

Migrating Bird
10-08-2009, 19:04
Race Brook Trail is an excellent access trail. There is plenty of parking (paved) and the trail is well marked. Some pretty good photo ops at the bottom of the falls. Berkshire Natural Resource Council http://www.bnrc.net has one of the best maps of the South Taconic Range including the history of the area.

Cosmo
10-08-2009, 19:14
Parking is good for about 8-10 cooperative cars. If it is a busy weekend, get there before 10am. Trail is well marked and heavily used. Pretty steep in places. Crosses Race Brook twice, crossings can be wet after heavy rain or in spring.

Cosmo

Snowleopard
10-09-2009, 11:09
Berkshire Natural Resource Council http://www.bnrc.net has one of the best maps of the South Taconic Range including the history of the area.
I have the South Taconic map and it's great map of one of my favorite places.

Tin Man
10-09-2009, 12:10
Awesome falls here are a must see.

Migrating Bird
10-09-2009, 18:45
This weekend the foliage will peak in the area and it is a long weekend to boot. The AT south of Race Brook, north of Sages Ravine has some great views to the east as does Bear Mt. If it gets too crowded try Brace, Little Brace and Alander Mtns. (on the South Taconic trail) There are connector trails between the AT and the South Taconic Trail A lot of great hiking in the area. Another good place to park is on Washington Mtn. road at or or just south of the Rangers Headquarters. Good access to the AT at Bear Mt. and Alander.

Blue Jay
10-10-2009, 10:14
I just used that trail as a part of a loop, absolutely spectacular. Hiking in the mist almost the entire time made the colors stand out, not only the reds and yellows but the million shades of green. I was pleasently surprised there are still some birds around, a winter wren sang me an unusual song. I always thought their song changed slightly from winter to summer. Just when you think you've had your best hike another one blows you away.

bullseye
10-10-2009, 23:43
Thanks everyone for the info. I just got back from a quick overnight with a bunch of 1st timers. You're right on Tin Man, the falls at the top of the Race Brook Falls trail is awesome! Had a great trip. Stayed at Laurel Ridge campsite, then on to Salisbury today. No views from Race yesterday, but great weather and sun for million dollar views from Bear Mt and Lion's Head.