PDA

View Full Version : I set foot on the AT for the first time yesterday!

Ridgeline
10-09-2009, 05:02
Even though I live just over an hour away from the trail I had never set foot on it before yesterday. I have always enjoyed hiking but I usually have just done really easy trails. I just did a short day hike yesterday and it kicked my butt and I loved every minute of it. I'll start off by admitting that over the last few years I have gotten completly out of shape and I underestimated the trail. I went up to Hogpen Gap and did a short SOBO hike(1.7 miles) to the summit of Cowrock Mtn. and back....Man it seemed like I was going uphill the entire time, but it was entirely worth it. The view from Cowrock was amazing and I had that entire section of the trail to myself(didn't see anyone). I just sat on the rock face on Cowrock for a while and enjoyed the peaceful scenery and had lunch. I will admit when I came back down to Tesnatee Gap on my way out I was tempted to just walk the road back up to the parking area instead of trekking back up Wildcat Mtn, but, I didn't. My legs definitely felt it on that climb but I am glad that I pushed myself instead of taking the easier way out. I didn't see any bears, but I did see some turkeys and I was kind of tripped out by the squirrels because you could walk within 5 feet of them anywhere on the trail and they didn't even pay me any attention(I guess they are used to hikers). It took me an hour and twenty minutes each way which equates out to about 1.27 miles per hour...that's pretty slow, but those climbs got to me and I'm gonna keep working at. To put it in perspective, I like to hike the Panther Creek trail(a very popular day hike in NE GA) to the falls and back. It is 3.5 miles each way and I can cover that 3.5 miles in an hour and half. Today's experience now has me addicted to the trail and I plan to get out there whenever I can now.

Maddog
10-09-2009, 05:44
Even though I live just over an hour away from the trail I had never set foot on it before yesterday. I have always enjoyed hiking but I usually have just done really easy trails. I just did a short day hike yesterday and it kicked my butt and I loved every minute of it. I'll start off by admitting that over the last few years I have gotten completly out of shape and I underestimated the trail. I went up to Hogpen Gap and did a short SOBO hike(1.7 miles) to the summit of Cowrock Mtn. and back....Man it seemed like I was going uphill the entire time, but it was entirely worth it. The view from Cowrock was amazing and I had that entire section of the trail to myself(didn't see anyone). I just sat on the rock face on Cowrock for a while and enjoyed the peaceful scenery and had lunch. I will admit when I came back down to Tesnatee Gap on my way out I was tempted to just walk the road back up to the parking area instead of trekking back up Wildcat Mtn, but, I didn't. My legs definitely felt it on that climb but I am glad that I pushed myself instead of taking the easier way out. I didn't see any bears, but I did see some turkeys and I was kind of tripped out by the squirrels because you could walk within 5 feet of them anywhere on the trail and they didn't even pay me any attention(I guess they are used to hikers). It took me an hour and twenty minutes each way which equates out to about 1.27 miles per hour...that's pretty slow, but those climbs got to me and I'm gonna keep working at. To put it in perspective, I like to hike the Panther Creek trail(a very popular day hike in NE GA) to the falls and back. It is 3.5 miles each way and I can cover that 3.5 miles in an hour and half. Today's experience now has me addicted to the trail and I plan to get out there whenever I can now.
I know the feeling! My first AT hike was the dreaded approach trail! That first mile was a cold-blooded killer! I ended up hiking to Springer and back in 9hrs! I hike the Pine Mountain trail(23miles) twice a month and the approach trail, once a month as part of my training for a 2010 thru hike.(Plus 36 miles per week in the gym.) See ya on the trail!:D

rambunny
10-09-2009, 06:34
It's so great to hear about your hike! Congratulations. Now go to The Gathering or Southern Ruck and meet the rest of the clan!

Blissful
10-09-2009, 09:51
Fantastic. One small step for you, one giant step for another future hike!

~Ronin~
10-09-2009, 10:17
Sounds like you had a great hike. It turned out better than the first time I stepped on the AT. Hiked for 5 miles, and nearly stepped on a Rattlesnake. He was just lying in the middle of the trail and didn't move. The sounds of his rattle was pretty loud too....scared the crap outta me. Thats when I decided to call it a day. But it was a great hike anyway.

Trailweaver
10-09-2009, 11:13
Wish I lived as close to the trail. . . you lucky person, you! Congratulations on your first. The GA section is tough all the way I've been told. What you did is pretty typical of the trail, so now that you know, go out and get a pack, a sleeping bag, a stove, and get busy hiking northbound! Go for it!

Many Walks
10-09-2009, 11:19
You've been hooked...happy hiking!

Ridgeline
10-09-2009, 17:00
Wish I lived as close to the trail. . . you lucky person, you! Congratulations on your first. The GA section is tough all the way I've been told. What you did is pretty typical of the trail, so now that you know, go out and get a pack, a sleeping bag, a stove, and get busy hiking northbound! Go for it!

I have all the gear from camping trips and short range backpacking trips and I had my pack and gear with me...I wanted to hike with the pack weight to see what it was like...I had about 25 lbs of gear on my back on this trip...I want to get into trail shape so I figured I might as well get used to carrying pack weight even if it is just a day hike.

Doctari
10-09-2009, 18:05
Welcome to the madness :p Sounds like you had a good intro to the AT.

My first AT hike started at Springer, day one to Hawk Mt shelter. With the adrenalin I was producing, I nearly flew over the trail. Then Day 2: Up hill all the way to Gooch Gap shelter, or so it seemed. No flying done that day. :p

Pony
10-09-2009, 20:16
If I recall, the hike from Tesnatee to Wildcat sucked, but then again, it was only my third day. Am I correct that this is the spot that John Muir started on one of his journeys?

Bulldawg
10-09-2009, 22:54
Am I correct that this is the spot that John Muir started on one of his journeys?

Sounds like a possibly interesting story.

seedog
10-10-2009, 07:31
Now that you've become an AT addict. Her is the 12 step program I came up with to cope.
step 1. Hike 12 more steps
step 2. Repeat step 1.
step 3-12. See step 2.

Big Dawg
10-10-2009, 08:26
Glad you enjoyed it NEGAhiker! The addiction begins... :D

Rambler
10-13-2009, 08:50
Watch out. Be careful. You could soon become an addicted gearhead section hiker.

Jester2000
10-13-2009, 14:20
I drove my truck on the AT yesterday.

sbhikes
10-13-2009, 14:37
I remember my first hike on the AT. I hiked to Blood Mountain from Neel Gap, mostly on a side trail, but I did touch the AT. And I got a T-shirt. Maybe someday...

mister krabs
10-13-2009, 14:59
My cub scouts hiked the ENTIRE width of the AT this weekend on our hike to the wasilik poplar :D

Newb
10-15-2009, 12:08
I drove my truck on the AT yesterday.

that was you? I saw you from my ATV. That trail is so handy.

Dances with Mice
10-15-2009, 12:36
If I recall, the hike from Tesnatee to Wildcat sucked, but then again, it was only my third day. Am I correct that this is the spot that John Muir started on one of his journeys?JM crossed Tesnatee Gap on his way to the big city of Gainesville. Georgia, of course, though I hear there's one somewhere down in Florida too.

scope
10-15-2009, 13:20
I went up to Hogpen Gap and did a short SOBO hike(1.7 miles) to the summit of Cowrock Mtn. and back....

Funny, I did that same trip on my first planned AT hike. I say planned because I had done Blood Mt a few times before when I was younger but was oblivious about it being part of the AT, so I still consider that subsequent endeavor of Hogpen to Cowrock as my first AT section hike.

Did you do it with a backpack? Knowing nothing about the area, I figured it would be good time to try out my new Kelty 5500ci pack, fully loaded with stuff. I had walked around a track for a couple of miles with the pack, so what would be the big deal doing less than a mile with it on the AT?
:eek:
Well, I guess you must know how that went for me. Actually, I started at Tesnatee and went up Wildcat then came down the road, ditched the pack and went up Cowrock.

You should go to Big Cedar on your next venture out. Better view IMO than Cowrock.

Jester2000
10-15-2009, 13:37
that was you? I saw you from my ATV. That trail is so handy.

I was driving an Isuzu Trooper. The trail is nice and wide on Church Street in Harpers Ferry.

Newb
10-16-2009, 08:01
I was driving an Isuzu Trooper. The trail is nice and wide on Church Street in Harpers Ferry.

you're such a Rebel.

Montana AT05
10-16-2009, 11:06
Congratulations, the AT is pretty amazing thing. I haven't hiked all the trails there are to hike, but the AT stands out so far--it's so diverse, whether by State or by season (and East Coast Seasons are so diverse themselves).

Go back to it when you can.

I first saw the AT in Harpers Ferry on a vacation. And that same day I saw where the AT crosses a road in Maryland--where that beautiful stone church stands alone along the tree line just past Dalhgren's Camp site (with the showers).

I remember looking up the trail from my car, seeing it enter those dense, green trees and thinking, "Wow, that goes to Maine from Georgia."

I never got the same feeling looking at the PCT or CDT (I live near the CDT). There is something different about the AT (and I am no drooling fan mind you, why, I bitched up a storm thru-hiking the AT...).