PDA

View Full Version : Commiting to some gear, PLEASE COMMENT!

L-dawg
10-09-2009, 05:22
:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome:w elcome:welcome:welcome

Hi, I am about to commit to a few items for a 2010 Northbound thru-hike, starting in February. If you could critique them (factoring in the fact that my girlfriend and I are recovering from student debt), I would much appreciate it! Some of my other threads are about very similar questions.

Stove: MSR Pocket Rocket. ~$30, 85g=3oz.
http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/fast-and-light-stoves/pocketrocket/product
Cheap, light and notoriously powerful. We will be sharing a pan to cook our supernoodles in, and with a wind sheild this should be perfect! My only concern is, can you obtain the fuel canisters for this in America? Probably "yes", because I believe it is an american make.
Sleeping bags: I am completely unsure as to weather a 20F/-7C bag is the right kind of temperature, but it is advice that whiteblazers have been throwing my way.
[Option 1]: 2 x Northface Blue Kazoo 15F/-10C. ~$260, 2lbs12oz=1253.
http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=AT2P&variationId=198&storeId=207&langId=-1&catalogId=10201&cm_vc=Cross%20Sells
[Option 2]: 2 x GoLite Adrenaline 20F/-7C. ~$315, 1lb 14oz = 0.850kg.
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%20Bags/GoLite%20Adrenaline%2020%20Sleeping%20Bag/Test%20Report%20by%20Will%20Rietveld/

So the blue kazoo (regular!) is considerably (?) warmer, cheaper, and a mere 400g=14oz heavier! Comments welcome!
Rain Jacket: I am torn between a pure "waterproof shell" (such as the Triumph) and a rain coat that actually provides a respectable amount of warmth as well (such as the Downpour). Please help me choose sides, and suggest some better and cheaper alternatives!
[Option 1]: Northface Downpour Jacket. ~$260, 650g=23oz.
http://www.e-outdoor.co.uk/6217/products/The_North_Face_Downpour_Mens_Jacket_.aspx
[Option 2]: Northface Triumph Anorak. ~$130, 6oz=0.375.
http://www.sierradescents.com/reviews/jackets/north-face/triumph-anorak.html
Further questions:

Water filter pump... which?
I have decided to buy a Tarptent Scarp 2... shall I wait for the lower fly edge modification, to make it better for colder weather, or should I take it for granted that its already a 4 season tent, and buy it now whilst I can get some extra ventilation in the summer months?
Thank you all so much!

:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana: banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:b anana

rambunny
10-09-2009, 06:37
I would suggest getting on trailjournals.com and read what worked and didn't for this years thru hikers. Believe me whatever your choices you'll be fine. The biggest piece of gear to work on is the desire to do it. Good Luck!

skinewmexico
10-09-2009, 08:26
The Pocket Rocket isn't a bad stove, if you don't look at empirical testing, but I'd get a Snowpeak Gigapower, just because the CO emmissions are so much smaller. And safer (use in a tent? Wait, I didn't say that). As for the bag, I'm just not a fan of North Face any more. I like the GoLite better, but for that kind of money, you could get a Western Mountaineering. And 14 oz here and there adds up to some serious weight after a while. I like Tarptents a lot, and would love to have a Scarp. You can always get the different inner later.

dreamsoftrails
10-09-2009, 09:18
don't spend that much money on rain gear. totally not worth it.

a sierra designs microlight jacket will do just fine. forty bucks.

also go with a campmor 20 degree down bag before that north face one.

if you are leaving i march, you may encounter weather where that pocket rocket will not do well in the cold. not do well as in not work.

i used an alcohol stove on my thru this past march and it worked just fine. also, you can use your excess alcohol fuel to start fires.

just my 2 cents, in the end, the gear choices really don't matter unless they are just inadequate.

DaveJohns
10-09-2009, 09:26
Personally, IF you have the cash, go for the Golite. That extra 14oz will add up. I like the extra waterproofing at the head and feet on the Adrenaline, that will come in handy with the single wall tent in bad weather.

Blissful
10-09-2009, 09:44
Pocket rocket is great. Used it my entire hike, no issues at all (except the wind can cut down on its efficiency). Certain canisters don't do well in colder conditons. I would not use the MSR canisters at all. Take Snowpeak (for the cold). They last and last. So does Jetboil.

Don't need a water pump. Aqua Mira suffices.

I haven't heard many good things about the NF bags i.e. - temp rating.

I liked my rain gear to start until VA and in the WHites. I believe you should have at least a rain jacket for those times. I took precip, my son had frogg toggs then switched to a golite umbrella when it got warm.

Blissful
10-09-2009, 09:47
The Pocket Rocket isn't a bad stove, if you don't look at empirical testing, but I'd get a Snowpeak Gigapower, just because the CO emmissions are so much smaller.

I would not light up a stove in a tent myself.

DTG
10-09-2009, 10:07
pocket rocket is a good stove although when it gets really cold canisters dont work so well - i started with a pocket rocket and would still use it for weekend hike but for me an alcohol stove is the way to go. If you are getting one then the fuel canisters are universal and you can stick a coleman (or whatever other brand) canister on it despite them saying to only use MSR canisters.

You could get a good sleeping bag for less than the golite but it did work for me.

I wouldnt spend much on rain gear but i like the marmot precip - not sure on weight but should cost $99/£70

Water treatments a personal thing - i used aqua mira but other people wouldnt touc the stuff. Everyone I know that ha a filter had some sort of problem with it but the hiker pro seemed to be the one of choice

bigcranky
10-09-2009, 16:23
Re: sleeping bag. The blue kazoo is a nice bag, but I wouldn't want to use it at 15-F. I had a Super Kazoo as my first "good" bag. Rated to 10-F, it was warm down to around 20 for me. If you take either of these bags for an early start, make sure you have some warm clothing.

Re: weight. Yes, the bag is "only 14 ounces" heavier. Let's call it a pound. You will take 5,000,000 steps between Springer and Katahdin. You will lift that pound 5,000,000 times. You decide.

Re: rain gear. A light waterproof hard shell is fine. Save the heavy-duty mountaineering shells for your Everest climb.

Re: stove. The Pocket Rocket is okay. You can find canisters almost everywhere along the A.T.

Disney
10-09-2009, 16:56
As far as the rain gear goes, I would recommend just the shell. If you're going to be hiking in the rain (and you will), the heat from your body will keep you warm. You don't want to get so hot in your rain gear that you want to take it off to cool down. You can always put a fleece or sweatshirt, extra long underwear, neoprene shirt on underneath the shell.

That being said, rain pants are a complete waste of money and weight.

At least I think so. Not an expert.

dreamsoftrails
10-09-2009, 17:14
That being said, rain pants are a complete waste of money and weight.

At least I think so. Not an expert.
i found rain pants to be useful, just not in the rain. in a windy camp, putting them on helps save valuable warmth. so does wearing them while finding firewood.

also gives one something to wear in town while their sweaty hiking clothes are in the wash.

bigcranky
10-09-2009, 17:41
Agree with dreamsoftrails on the utility of rain pants. I don't carry them in the summer, but in cool weather they are often the only pants I bring, and in winter they are very useful (and sometimes critical.)

skinewmexico
10-09-2009, 18:05
Yes, the bag is "only 14 ounces" heavier. Let's call it a pound. You will take 5,000,000 steps between Springer and Katahdin. You will lift that pound 5,000,000 times. You decide.

Genius illustration.

I don't know about this year, but I know last year in Nov or Dec, GoLite had a killer online sale, something like 50% off. You might look at the Golite Ultra 20, mine is working out really well. No where near WM quality though. Here' a deal on your GoLite (compliments of Spadout.com) http://tinyurl.com/yhmw7v2

Snowleopard
10-09-2009, 20:07
[QUOTE=L-dawg;904684]
Hi, I am about to commit to a few items for a 2010 Northbound thru-hike, starting in February. If you could critique them (factoring in the fact that my girlfriend and I are recovering from student debt), I would much appreciate it! Some of my other threads are about very similar questions.

Rain Jacket: I am torn between a pure "waterproof shell" (such as the Triumph) and a rain coat that actually provides a respectable amount of warmth as well (such as the Downpour). Please help me choose sides, and suggest some better and cheaper alternatives!
[Option 1]: Northface Downpour Jacket. ~$260, 650g=23oz.
http://www.e-outdoor.co.uk/6217/products/The_North_Face_Downpour_Mens_Jacket_.aspx
[Option 2]: Northface Triumph Anorak. ~$130, 6oz=0.375.
http://www.sierradescents.com/reviews/jackets/north-face/triumph-anorak.html

/QUOTE]
I like the Snowpeak canister stoves but the MSR would be fine too.

I have a North Face parka with Hyvent, probably the same fabric as the Triumph. It doesn't seem waterproof enough or breathable enough and I would recommend against it. A really cheap alternative would be FroggToggs or DryDucks; they're cheap but not very durable. A poncho would be fine except for your winter start and through the White Mountains (NH); I think a full wind/rain suit is needed above treeline in NH. The sierra designs microlight jacket looks like it is water resistant rather than waterproof.

The sleeping bags are all fine. A cheaper alternative that isn't much heavier is the Campmor 20F down bag, $120 and 2lb 4 oz. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065 They have a 0F bag also which would be overkill, except for your start. I'm not sure just how cold it can be in Feb. in the mountains down south. You can stretch the rating some by wearing warm clothes inside the bag. Read trailjournals and look for people starting in Feb.

dreamsoftrails
10-09-2009, 20:45
a 0 bag is not overkill for the south in february or march, even a little bit of april. temperature will routinely dip below 20. i have never heard anyone complain that their sleeping bag was too warm in march or april. if you count on a twenty, you will be dissapointed at least once every 4-5 nights. stretching bag ratings with clothing is effective, but not as much as some people claim it to be. i wont forget sitting at hawk mt shelter last march 1st and hearing someone say " i got a 40 degree bag, but these thermals should keep me fine" must have been 20 or a little below. one thing i also noticed, was that the thinner one's sleeping bag, the longer they slept in the morning, becuase they were clinging to what little warmth they had left.

on the alternative, a thinner bag will speed your hike up because it is lighter, and the hostels and hotels will be all the more appealing. its not uncommon to see those out there busting out marthons to avoid a night out in the cold.

Dogwood
10-10-2009, 01:02
Actually, the TNF Blue Kazoo isn't $260. As I noted in an earlier post they are/were on sale at Campmoor for $190. When you get into the lofty realm of shelling out $300 for a 20* sleeping bag you have entered an arena of some great light wt., quality manufactured, UL, accurately temp rated sleeping bags. I think skinewmexico is on the same track as I am when he mentioned Western Moutaineering. I'll also recommend Marmot, Feathered Friends, and MontBell. MontBell has similar rated bags w/ accurate temp ratings, are around the same wt, maybe an oz or two heavier, and cost about the same, maybe even cost a bit less. No matter what bag you get I would keep an eye on getting one that is quality made with a decent amt. of durability, low wt., and an accurate temp rating, which I think all the companies I listed have. Make sure to note at Golite's website, and every sleeping bag manufacturer's website, how they measure temp ratings. Not all of them do it the same which can have you measuring apples to oranges. Even with an accurately rated *20 bag a Mar 1 start means you will most likely have to extend the comfortable sleeping temp range of your sleeping bag by wearing some clothes to sleep.

MSR Pocket Rocket should be fine at $3.

Don't need to spend that much on rain gear. Marmot PreCip or Mica, TNF HyVent, Frogg Toggs, Dri Ducks, SD Microlight, etc are less expensive alternatives that will work for an AT thru. For a Mar 1 start I would carry rainpants or shell for my bottom half. When it warms and you don't mind hiking in the rain with a wet bottom half send the rainpants home.

Aqua Mira tablets or two part liquid should be fine on the AT. If sediment is an issue strain through that ever versatile and inexpensive bandana.

Connie
10-10-2009, 18:57
I like the Caldera cone, for pot stabilty.

It is setup for an alcohol stove, or esbit tabs.

I have had a MSR Pocket Rocket. It isn't always so easy to find rocks to add support to the pot. One tip over was one too many, as far as I am concerned.

Blissful
10-10-2009, 19:27
MSR Pocket Rocket should be fine at $3.

You're not kidding. I'd get it for that too!!!!!

;)

Kerosene
10-10-2009, 19:47
Starting in February, I think you'll be pushing it with a 20-degree bag unless you can add additional insulation (usually extra clothes) without compressing the bag's insulation once you climb in. If you're going to spend that kind of money, I'd probably look at buying a top-end 10- or 15-degree rated bag (750-fill or higher) from Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends.

While you can find isobutane canisters in the U.S., they're a little more difficult to find consistently along the AT, but many thru-hikers are successful in tracking them down. I'd also look at the Snow Peak GigaPower, but the Pocket Rocket isn't a bad choice.

Unless you're able to spend hundreds of dollars on an e-Vent parka and pants, I'd probably just go with low-end Frogg Toggs. They will help cut the wind, and they breathe a little bit, but you'll sweat them out under exertion.

Forget the water filter and just go with Aqua Mira. A lot lighter, more reliable, tasteless (to most people), and easier to use.