PDA

View Full Version : Buttermilk Falls NJ

jfarrell04
10-09-2009, 11:45
Heading out next week for our annual section hike. We'll be walking north from PA toward High Point State Park, NJ. I've heard of a blue-blaze trail off the AT that provides access to Buttermilk Falls in the DWGNRA. Can anyone tell me if this can be done as a "loop hike" or if the falls are only accessed via the blue-blazed trail and then back......in other words if heading north, can we leave the AT at the blue-blaze trail and easily re-join the AT at a point further north, or would we have to backtrack?

Thanks

A-Train
10-09-2009, 12:02
Heading out next week for our annual section hike. We'll be walking north from PA toward High Point State Park, NJ. I've heard of a blue-blaze trail off the AT that provides access to Buttermilk Falls in the DWGNRA. Can anyone tell me if this can be done as a "loop hike" or if the falls are only accessed via the blue-blazed trail and then back......in other words if heading north, can we leave the AT at the blue-blaze trail and easily re-join the AT at a point further north, or would we have to backtrack?

Thanks

I don';t have the maps in front of me now, but I believe you'd have to do a down and back to get there. They are really pretty and worth the side trip if you aren't in a real rush. Likewise Crater Lake is a nice spot to check out near here (though it might be a tad chilly for swimming!)

Buzz_Lightfoot
10-09-2009, 13:17
Looks like the side trail is a down-and-back. Quite a BIT downhill. Look at he picture attached for a map fragment. I circled that path in red.

BL

Jaybird62
10-09-2009, 13:27
It is a bit steep, but IMO well worth the effort, especially if the water levels are up....Check out the pic in my gallery...

Jaybird62
10-09-2009, 13:29
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/6/6/4/dscn0116_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=21442&catid=member&orderby=posts&direction=DESC&imageuser=13664&cutoffdate=-1)

Jaybird62
10-09-2009, 13:29
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/6/6/4/dscn0117_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=21443&catid=member&orderby=posts&direction=DESC&imageuser=13664&cutoffdate=-1)

jfarrell04
10-09-2009, 13:50
Awesome photo jaybird. Thanks for the info. Looking at the map posted by Buzz it looks like the falls are right near a road (NPS 615?).....if we're not up for the walk maybe a drive-by will be in order!

A-train - I don't have the maps in front of me at th emoment either, but Crater Lake is pretty much right on the AT isn't it?

STEVEM
10-09-2009, 15:48
The hike from the AT to the falls is downhill all the way, and obviously uphill all the way back. the round trip is 4+ miles as I recall. There is an unmarked woods road and short side trail crossed by the blue trail that will put you back in the AT just south of Rattlesnake Mountain. It's probably shown on the NYNJTC maps. I wouldn't suggest trying to find it without a map since there are a lot of old roads and hunter trails in the area.

If you like waterfalls, I think your best bet would be to spend an extra day after your hike and drive to Buttermilk Falls and maybe Dingmans Falls, Raymondskill Falls, and Bushkill Falls. All are relatively close with easy access by car.

Toolshed
10-09-2009, 19:05
There is a nice Gravel Road at the base of ...the falls, you can drive there easily, Just Outside of Walpack center or Walpack Village. We take visitors there. It's Hard to beleive it is NJ. But I'd much rather drive there on a Sunday afternoon with fall colors Than hike the 4 miles R/T. (and I like to hike...)

LIhikers
10-09-2009, 19:56
I don't have maps here so you'll have to confirm this.
As you are going north make a left at the road crossing (paved road) a little south of there. Walk down the hill until you get to an historic village. Make a right and walk back past the buildings, into the woods and pick up a trail. Take that trail to the gravel road that brings you to the base of the falls. Then once you're done oogling the falls (they are beautiful) take the trail uphill that leads to the AT. That way you won't be doing an out and back on the blue blaze, but you will miss part of the AT. No matter how you do it, I recommend going to see the falls.

STEVEM
10-09-2009, 21:00
My most memorable visit to Buttermilk falls was a few years ago on a really hot July day. The falls was just a trickle, but there was a flock of about thirty Scarlet Tanagers clinging to the rocks directly in the flow of water splashing and playing. I watched them for over a hour, with no camera to record what must be a once in a lifetime sight.

timebreaks
10-09-2009, 21:41
The folks at the bakery in DWG have a little flyer on the waterfalls in the area if you're going to do a drive-by rather than hike the blue blazes. They're super friendly and will point you to great spots. And the pie is fabulous too!

Bezekid609
10-09-2009, 21:55
no it's a there and back route, all down hill on the way and then all uphill on the way back up to the a.t, however there are nice tent sites immediately past the blue blaze trail to buttermilk falls that would provide excellent base camp to explore around.... the falls tend to be dried up though by late summer so choose your timing carefully and goodluck!

jfarrell04
10-09-2009, 22:45
Thanks for all the responses.........I'll be leaving in the morning headin' that way!!!