PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hiking inside-out?

Rich01
10-09-2009, 14:03
Was wondering if anyone else in class of 2010 is hiking inside-out?
(i.e. starting somewhere in the middle and hiking to one end, and then going back to middle and hiking to other end). I'm planning my hike this way to optimize weather and avoid some of the crowds. Starting in VA early April.
Anybody else considering this?
-Rich01

saimyoji
10-09-2009, 14:20
flip-flop is another term for doing this

mrhughes1982
10-09-2009, 14:31
This has been crossing my mind. I want to leave in Feb. and go NoBo but I'm getting worried about not having the funds by then. This has crossed my mind as an alternative because I think that it'd be cool to come up on both Springer and Katahdin.

Rich01
10-10-2009, 19:03
flip-flop is another term for doing this

I thought a flip-flop was starting at Springer and then mid summer jumping to Katahdin and going south back to where you left off. So, both legs going from the outside-in.
I'm interested in starting both legs from the middle going out, so the terminus peaks would be the ends of the legs, and not the starting points.
Plus, spring in mid atlantic, summer in new england, fall in south, seems like the best possible weather all around.

Deadeye
10-10-2009, 21:41
I'm planning my hike this way to optimize weather and avoid some of the crowds. Starting in VA early April.
-Rich01

Are you sure this will optimize your weather? Which way are you going first? If you start in VA early April, and head north, you'll wind up in the Whites and Maine during mud and blackfly season, then head south during the heat of July and August.

I guess if you head south first you'd avoid the crowds on the first leg, but then be going with the full crowd NOBO.

Oh well, HYOH and enjoy!

Rich01
10-12-2009, 22:44
Are you sure this will optimize your weather?

I was planning on a full 6 months plus.
early April thru June - VA thru MA,
July thru Aug. - VT thru ME,
Sept. into Oct. - NC to GA.

Am I off on typical hiking times thru any of those sections?

mmoriart
10-24-2009, 11:56
I really like the idea of a flip flop where you start in Harper's Ferry and go south, thereby skipping the ice storms in Georgia. Then hoof (maybe by bus, maybe with a car that meets us in Springer) it to Katahdin and go south back to Harpers Ferry. Miss the cold, miss the balck flies if kyou don't get to maine until mid July, maybe get a few good looks at some beautiful fall in the Shanendoah Valley. Also, don't have to really knock yourself out with those high mountains at the beginning of hiking. I am getting in shape, but I don't want my brain to get stressed out. what do you think?

Slo-go'en
10-24-2009, 12:57
If you really want to optimize the hike for the best weather and avoid big crowds of hikers, I still think a three way split is the way to go.

Start at Springer in mid to late April and hike north until mid-june. Marion, VA would be a good place to flip from, as there is a bus station there.

Flip up to Mass and head for Katahdin. Lee, Ma would be a good place to get back on, as there is a bus stop there too.

Flop back to Mass from Katahdin and head south to where you got off the first time.

This plan avoids the worst of the spring weather down south and up north and the blistering heat and humidity of the mid sections during the summer. This also allows you to get in shape down south to do the hardest part of the trail in NE, then do the easiest part of the trail at the end when your running out of steam. It also allows you to carry a lighter pack pretty much the whole time.

warraghiyagey
10-24-2009, 12:58
Hiking inside out?? Only on June 21st. . . or in Maine early in the season. . . :)

Cookerhiker
10-24-2009, 14:53
Was wondering if anyone else in class of 2010 is hiking inside-out?
(i.e. starting somewhere in the middle and hiking to one end, and then going back to middle and hiking to other end). I'm planning my hike this way to optimize weather and avoid some of the crowds. Starting in VA early April.
-Rich01

This is exactly what I did on my Long Trail hike in '07 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6248). Started at Rt. 4, hiked north to Canada, returned to Rt. 4, hiked south to Mass.

I also referred to it as "inside-out" rather than "flip-flop."

For the AT, the trick to optimize weather (at least to minimize heat & humidity) is to start far south enough in early April so that you're in NH and Maine in July & August. But you want to avoid the black flies! New Englanders can chime in but I'd say shoot for reaching Vermont around June 20. You won't avoid mosquitos so make sure your tent doesn't have any holes.

mudhead
10-24-2009, 17:14
Everyone should experience thick black flies at least once.

Makes alot of things pretty tolerable.