PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Early October Weather

Disney
10-09-2009, 17:29
Is anyone up in Maine still trying to finish up? I'm looking at this weather and it concerns me. Early snow, early cold, heavy precipitation. Presumably they know enough to be okay by now. It just concerned me.

Any info? Thoughts? Insults? Snide remarks?

mudhead
10-09-2009, 17:34
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?map.x=150&map.y=141&site=CAR&FcstType=text

Does appear to be a tad grim.

They might all be in Monson drinking cocoa.

woodsy
10-09-2009, 18:15
Nothing dangerous that I can see, typical weather for local folks.

They might all be in Monson drinking cocoa.

Martinis or beer more likely, in Monson.

saimyoji
10-09-2009, 18:24
Is anyone up in Maine still trying to finish up? I'm looking at this weather and it concerns me. Early snow, early cold, heavy precipitation. Presumably they know enough to be okay by now. It just concerned me.

its ironic that someone named disney would speak of danger/safety...then ask for snide remarks and insults....

here goes:

did you hear about the new disney character

saimyoji
10-09-2009, 18:25
its ironic that someone named disney would speak of danger/safety...then ask for snide remarks and insults....

here goes:

did you hear about the new disney character

CRAP...hit the wrong butt

saimyoji
10-09-2009, 18:27
CRAP...hit the wrong butt

DAMN...something weird going on

saimyoji
10-09-2009, 18:27
DAMN...something weird going on

Like I said, something weird going on with my keyb

saimyoji
10-09-2009, 18:28
Like I said, something weird going on with my keyb

allright just f

saimyoji
10-09-2009, 18:28
allright just f

orget it alread

TJ aka Teej
10-09-2009, 19:22

Yup, still folks in Monson and Caratunk earlier this week.
Ice and snow on top of Katahdin, today was a class 3 hiking day with the Knife Edge and Dudley trails closed due to ice.

Slo-go'en
10-09-2009, 19:31
Yeap, its been a cold and wet week up in these parts. It would not have been a fun week to be out hiking anywhere in New England.

Suppost to clear up tomorrow and be a nice weekend, but it could be the deptartment of tourism has given kickbacks to the TV weather reporters to give a good forcast in order to get hords of leaf peepers up here this weekend!

Snowleopard
10-09-2009, 20:11
Mt. Washington isn't so bad right now, but the peak gust in the last 24 hours was 105 mph. http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/summit.php

Just a Hiker
10-09-2009, 20:17
Just finished hiking the stretch between Grafton Notch and Gorham, NH. I had a pretty chilly night on top of Old Speck and it was definately cool down in the Notch, but the cool weather was nice for hiking......the rain, not so much. However, I'm in Bethel, ME tonight with friends and Pat's Pizza......:)

Blissful
10-09-2009, 21:34
That's why its good to plan on finishing by Oct 1 (2010ers take note!). I remember some getting stuck for a few days in '07 waiting to summit.

Jim Adams
10-09-2009, 21:39
no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing!

geek

The Solemates
10-09-2009, 22:55
no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing!

geek

agreed!!!!!!!

Ramble~On
10-09-2009, 23:19
:D Huh ? Yesterday was a beautiful class III day on Katahdin. My nose almost froze off and I couldn't stand to have my gloves off for more than 30 seconds..but the winds didn't knock me all the way over....on the bright side...it didn't rain!

There are about 10 folks climbing tomorrow and more behind them...lots more.