PDA

View Full Version : Rt. 42 at Springer Mt

BevH
10-09-2009, 18:30
Can anyone tell me the easiest and quickest way to get to Rt. 42 at Springer MT from Blairsville, GA?
Thanks

JTCruiser
10-09-2009, 19:01
Best way to get directions is to go to Google Maps and input Big Stamp Gap as your destination. Good luck!

JTCruiser
10-09-2009, 19:02
....that should be Big Stamp Gap, GA.

BevH
10-09-2009, 20:20
Thanks for the information.

Bulldawg
10-09-2009, 22:36
If I was coming from Blairsville (and watch some folks jump on here and tell me this is wrong, but I've only lived in this area for 35 years) I would take 129 south out of town. Just north of Vogel State Park I'd take GA180 to Suches. In Suches take a left on GA60. At the waterworks lake on your left, start looking for Cooper Gap Road on your right. This is FS42. It is about 20 or 25 miles on dirt to Big Stamp Gap or FS42 Springer parking lot. Some people say this is a long way on dirt. But from Blairsville, this is still the best route IMO. It's a long ways to Dahlonega and then a good piece out to the other two ways up to the lot. Even then it is 10 miles on dirt. I've never seen FS42 in terrible shape. The US Army keeps those roads in pretty good shape since they train all through there!!

dreamsoftrails
10-09-2009, 23:11
bulldawg is right.

that will be the shortest distance, and probably shortest time. the distance is probably half of going out to dahlonega or even ellijay, which i thought might be a good idea til i checked a map.

those dirt roads are well maintained and scenic as well. basically a road version of the first 17 miles or so of the AT.

Bulldawg
10-09-2009, 23:24
bulldawg is right.

that will be the shortest distance, and probably shortest time. the distance is probably half of going out to dahlonega or even ellijay, which i thought might be a good idea til i checked a map.

those dirt roads are well maintained and scenic as well. basically a road version of the first 17 miles or so of the AT.

Bulldawg is almost always right when it comes to Georgia. Just saying..........................

Skidsteer
10-09-2009, 23:27
Does this help?

Bulldawg
10-09-2009, 23:42
Does this help?

Dang Skids, me and you both pretty good!

It is raining harder here right now than I have heard it rain in a long, long time!! More floods?

Skidsteer
10-09-2009, 23:44
Dang Skids, me and you both pretty good!

It is raining harder here right now than I have heard it rain in a long, long time!! More floods?

I hope not. This storm caught me by surprise. Came outta nowhere.

Bulldawg
10-09-2009, 23:56
I hope not. This storm caught me by surprise. Came outta nowhere.

I was out at the high school football game. I felt it coming. Well, my knees felt it coming. I hope it isn't raining tomorrow afternoon.

Dances with Mice
10-10-2009, 08:52
If I was coming from Blairsville (and watch some folks jump on here and tell me this is wrong, but I've only lived in this area for 35 years) I would take 129 south out of town. Just north of Vogel State Park I'd take GA180 to Suches. In Suches take a left on GA60. At the waterworks lake on your left, start looking for Cooper Gap Road on your right. This is FS42. It is about 20 or 25 miles on dirt to Big Stamp Gap or FS42 Springer parking lot. Some people say this is a long way on dirt. But from Blairsville, this is still the best route IMO. It's a long ways to Dahlonega and then a good piece out to the other two ways up to the lot. Even then it is 10 miles on dirt. I've never seen FS42 in terrible shape. The US Army keeps those roads in pretty good shape since they train all through there!!Dawg - ever take Gaddistown Road? Take a right on GA60 instead of a left and drive down the ridge. As soon as the road flattens out in the valley look for a sign to "Pleasant Valley Baptist Church" on the left. This will be Gaddistown Road. Gaddistown is paved except for the last quarter mile before it crosses FS42 at Cooper Gap. Take a right on FS42 and continue to Springer.

BevH
10-10-2009, 09:54
Your route sounds good. It seems a little longer but paved roads more of the way are nicer.

Bulldawg
10-10-2009, 10:09
Dawg - ever take Gaddistown Road? Take a right on GA60 instead of a left and drive down the ridge. As soon as the road flattens out in the valley look for a sign to "Pleasant Valley Baptist Church" on the left. This will be Gaddistown Road. Gaddistown is paved except for the last quarter mile before it crosses FS42 at Cooper Gap. Take a right on FS42 and continue to Springer.

I've never been that way, since I usually come from Cleveland or Dahlonega. Sounds like that might be a good way to go if coming from Blairsville.

Dances with Mice
10-10-2009, 12:16
I've never been that way, since I usually come from Cleveland or Dahlonega. Sounds like that might be a good way to go if coming from Blairsville.I think it might be the fastest way to get to Suches from Springer. Next time you're coming back from Springer on 42, hang a left at Cooper. You'll be on paved roads almost all the way from Cooper Gap to Suches. Might be a little longer because of all the turns GA60 makes going up the ridge into Suches, but try it and tell me what you think.

BevH
10-10-2009, 13:53
I will be doing this next Friday. After I get back from doing all of Georgia I will let you know how it was. Thanks so much for the information.

FatMan
10-10-2009, 17:06
I live on Cooper Gap Road and know a bit about the area. DWM is right. In fact it is nearly the same distance from 180/60 either way to Cooper Gap, but with Gaddistown Road you are only on gravel for about a 1.25 miles. It is much faster than the mostly gravel Cooper Gap Road route suggested by Bulldawg. The first time DWM suggested it I too thought it was way out of the way but one day I clocked it and it is definitely the best route. But one caveat, if it is a heavy rain FS 15 (the mile or so of gravel road at the end of Gaddistown Rd) can be quite muddy.

FatMan
10-10-2009, 17:31
You might also want to consider coming down on Skeenah Gap road. GA180, Wolf Pen Gap road is slow going at best, especially during the weekends with cyclists. You can pretty much fly down Skeenah Gap road. If taking Skeenah Gap you would turn left onto to GA 60 to get to Gaddistown Rd.