PDA

View Full Version : Seen A Nobo In Hotsprings 10-3-09

tndrfoot
10-09-2009, 22:21
I met a nobo guy new york BOB in hot springs last weekend and hung out at the camp ground sat night and sun morning he said he was doing a nobo to NY is this very popular? and what is the sucsess rate doing a winter through hike? he is going to call me when he gets to ERWIN TN and we are going to meet up again waiting for the call he should be in the area in the next day or so going to hook up some trail magic for NY BOB.

Blissful
10-10-2009, 11:26
Probably run into snow and cold before he gets to NY for sure - but if he's ready gear wise and knowledge wise , more power to him. NY is likely the last place he can get to though before facing extreme conditions.

tndrfoot
10-10-2009, 11:52
i was just thinking you dont here of many if any starting nobo in sept he was carying food from hotsprings 15 days worth to damascus i tried to get him to let me take half of it and drop it off at erwin so he would not have to carry it all but he did not know me from adam so i think he was a little woried i guess i understand his thoughts also but i was just trying to lighten his load!

brewer
10-13-2009, 21:06
I just met New York Bob today while I was walking into Erwin. Really nice guy.

El Toro '94
10-14-2009, 16:24
I'm doing a SOBO winter hike this year, starting in Mass. in 2 weeks, maybe I'll see him along the trail. I would say it isn't very common, but I kind of like the idea of solitude.

TOW
10-14-2009, 17:46
when i was hiking in the winter i really liked being able to see my surroundings, no leaves on the trees. but watch your footing because those leaves are on the groumd and very slippery especially if it is very dry out......

tndrfoot
10-14-2009, 21:15
i seen bob in erwin at uncle johnnys and took him out to eat and got him some food for the trail he said his brother has not transfered any money to his bank acct and he was working off his stay at the hostle. iam going to meet him at roan hihg knob shelter thurs evening and hike to 19e with him through the weekend. calling for snow fri through sat night:D

paintplongo
10-19-2009, 12:39
He's never going to make it unless he's doing 25 mile days, which doesn't happen once moisture that's frozen begins falling.

Jack Tarlin
10-19-2009, 12:41
Of course he can make it, assuming he's properly equipped/clothed, and is ready for some weather. One can hike thru-the mid-Atlantic states til January and probably not encounter a lot of snow and ice.

I learned long ago to avoid saying "never" about anyone else's hike.

People frequently surprise you.