PDA

View Full Version : Which guidebook/maps to use?

buff_jeff
10-10-2009, 12:45
Hey guys, I'm in the process of planning this whole deal out and I was just wondering what I should roll with. Right now I have the data book:

http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Crest-Trail-Data-Book/dp/0899973698/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255193085&sr=8-1

I would like to have maps but the sets look ridiculously expensive, so I was wondering if the maps included in these are any good:

http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Crest-Trail-Washington-California/dp/0899973752/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255193085&sr=8-2

Thanks in advance!

Mags
10-10-2009, 14:10
The maps in the 3 main guidebooks are more than adequate for navigating the PCT.

The are other options as well (The Erik the Black Book ($$$$ but nice), the USFS maps, Tom Harrison maps, etc)

Besides the Data Book, you may want to look into Yogi's PCT Handbook. (http://www.pcthandbook.com/)

You can read about them at a little doc I wrote:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/PCT-Info.html

burger
10-10-2009, 15:59
Gotta agree with Mags, just buy the 3 guidebooks. Those maps are all you need (if you want to go UL, you can even throw away the non-map text pages because they're mostly useless).

As for the Erik the Black Book, not only is it ridiculously expensive (~$200 for the whole set), but I found his maps hard to use and less accurate than the guidebooks.

TwoForty
10-10-2009, 17:31
I carried way too much stuff, but I would do so again.
I had the guidebooks which I only ocassionally used for the maps. Rarely read the text, but it was entertaining when I did.
The databook was referenced probably 50 times a day. I loved that.
I carried the Yogi trail pages which mainly helped in town, but the commentary on what was ahead was nice.
The waterreport was one of the most important things I carried in socal. Definetely print that off a few hundred miles at a time and update as you go.

Mags
10-10-2009, 17:37
Gotta agree with Mags, just buy the 3 guidebooks. Those maps are all you need (if you want to go UL, you can even throw away the non-map text pages because they're mostly useless).

...what you don't enjoy the "The official PCT sucks..take my lakes blessed route instead" narrative ?!?!?! ;)

buff_jeff
10-10-2009, 19:40
thanks for the advice guys! I think, tentatively, I'll take the databook as well as the maps from the 3 guidebooks.

sbhikes
10-10-2009, 19:53
Maps really aren't necessary for most of the PCT. It's a pretty easy trail to follow.

It helps to have maps in the Sierras, though. Get a big map with lots of surrounding area, not the Harrison JMT map pack. A big map lets you see alternate routes and bail-out points better.

I liked the guide books. I enjoyed reading them and learning the tidbits about the flowers and geology. I liked reading about the alternate routes. If you followed the data book all by itself, I think you'd miss Crater Lake completely. But beware, the guide books do have a rep as "The book of lies" (the data book, too.) There are inaccuracies. But you'll get to know the PCT well enough after a while to be able to follow it blind.

summermike
10-13-2009, 16:18
I've only hiked OR but I found the guidebook nearly worthless and the maps in it far too busy to be useful. Both the text and the maps had plenty of errors and need some serious editing for that and other reasons.

frisbeefreek
10-15-2009, 00:13
I used and highly recommend the Halfmile maps at www.pctmaps.net (http://www.pctmaps.net)
They are free to download, then you pay printing costs (color prints are not cheap so shop around). They have nice details, like good mileage markers, elevation profiles, water, etc. I saw Halfmile this year, and he said he was going to be hiking North Oregon and Washington, so he should have a full set for the 2010 season.

Yogi's book is also highly recommended-It takes a lot of guesswork about resupply, towns, and good places to camp and get water.

I feel the Guidebook maps are not good enough to navigate with for those rare occasions when you actually need to navigate (I got caught in a whiteout on Muir Pass, and needed the contour lines to find my way).

Other criticisms of the guidebooks is that they are too wordy and are poorly organized. They were written before the trail was widely traveled, so some of the details are excessive. You will also spend a lot of time flipping back and forth trying to figure out where you are (the descriptions of waypoints are not marked on the maps).

Sly
10-15-2009, 01:31
I got along just fine with the guidebook/maps and chuckled frequently at the description. Good stuff.

spacetree
11-03-2009, 13:56
Halfmile's maps rocked. And best of all they are free. You just need to print them out. He had california done of 09 but looks like he's added half of Oregon now. They include waypoints every halfmile (duh) as well as markers for water locations, seperate maps for bailout routes in the sierras. Plus they make great fire starter.

Check them out at pctmap.net.

Guy
11-05-2009, 14:29
I'm going with the guidebook maps, Yogi's guide and the databook as well. I almost bought the Erik the Black maps, but decided that the information would be mostly redundant so I decided not to spend the money.

I hope I don't end up regretting that decision.

Mags
11-05-2009, 14:37
I hope I don't end up regretting that decision.

Think of how many people did the PCT with "just" the guidebook maps and databook. :) You'll be fine.

As others aid, check out the Half Mile maps. They are FREE and he should have maps to cover the whole trail by the start of the 2010 hiking season:
http://www.pctmap.net/

Highway Man
11-05-2009, 21:59
I took Mags' advices. Three guidebooks are on the way. I'm gone evaluate them to see if they are sufficient for me.
Thank you guys for the input.

guthook
11-21-2009, 10:04
Hmmm, anyone have any good experience with the Erik The Black guidebooks? I bought a set of last year's used from someone the other day, and they're still in the mail (I hope!). I figure more information is good to have. And if I combine that with Yogi's guide, hopefully there will be plenty of info for me to use.

handlebar
11-21-2009, 12:28
Hmmm, anyone have any good experience with the Erik The Black guidebooks? I bought a set of last year's used from someone the other day, and they're still in the mail (I hope!). I figure more information is good to have. And if I combine that with Yogi's guide, hopefully there will be plenty of info for me to use.

I used the SoCal and WA 1st editions in 08 along with trail pages from Yogi's guide. They were all I needed. The editions you'll be receiving are much improved. I'd add Yogi's book for the town information and you'll be set.

There was one point in central CA where the resupply info from the Wilderness Press guidebooks was useful. I was running out of food two days from S. Lake Tahoe and needed to get off trail at Ebbett's Pass to hitch into Markleeville. It was a terrible place to hitch and I was contemplating some serious rationing when after 90 minutes, the sixth car to pass, driven by a state trooper, offered me a ride down the mountain. Getting back was no problem since I was able to yogi a ride at the bar in the restaurant in town.

burger
11-21-2009, 14:47
I didn't use Erik's books, but he screwed over a lot of hikers last year by promising guidebooks for northern CA and Oregon by certain dates and not delivering on time. Some hikers had to print out pdfs that Erik emailed out. Other hikers simply went without. Like I said, I wasn't even using his books, but it pissed me off that someone would mistreat thru-hikers that way.

Save yourself $140 by buying the Wilderness Pres guidebooks. Throw away the text and just keep the maps--they're all you need (+ yogi, of course).

Miner
11-26-2009, 19:12
I carried everything on the trail this year. The Wilderness guidebooks, databook, yogi's guidebook, and Black's PCT Atlas. While most of the trail is well marked, there were a few places where having maps and the guidebook's word descriptions help. Especially the time where I missed a junction in the fading light and didn't discover it until the next day but fortunately found where I was on the very edge of the Guidebook map and was able to rejoin the trail.

I found as I went north, I'd use the more convienent PCT Atlas book rather then anything else. I'd try to force myself to read the guidebook pages sometime during the morning while on a break so I'd know what was coming up. The wilderness Press descriptions are particularly useful for the Eagle Creek Alternate Route that 90% of hikers take in northern Oregon since its far more scenic then the trail since the maps don't really cover it.

TheChamp
12-01-2009, 22:04
There was one point in central CA where the resupply info from the Wilderness Press guidebooks was useful. I was running out of food two days from S. Lake Tahoe and needed to get off trail at Ebbett's Pass to hitch into Markleeville. It was a terrible place to hitch and I was contemplating some serious rationing when after 90 minutes, the sixth car to pass, driven by a state trooper, offered me a ride down the mountain. Getting back was no problem since I was able to yogi a ride at the bar in the restaurant in town.

Had to go into Lake Tahoe to meet my family that was flying out and hitched in from Ebbett's Pass as well...I thought it was hopeless as well...an hour later and I too got a ride from a State Highway Patrol. He was really nice, dropped me off in Markleeville where I hitched a ride into Tahoe. Worked out perfect.

sbhikes
12-03-2009, 00:33
I used the maps in this CD set for a small portion of the trail. They were easy to print out. Another option anyway.
https://shop.pcta.org/productdetail.asp?action=showdetail&cat=157&item=28782&part=PCTA-368

Dogwood
12-03-2009, 22:29
If you are staying on the PCT proper without doing many alternates or impromptu off trail hikes the Wilderness Press Guidebooks are fine for trail descriptions, water resources(except for SoCal, get water reports for So Cal), and following the trail on the enclosed maps. If anything, the WP Guidebooks go into too much detail about geology and general plant descrptions, unless you think that info enhances your trail experience on a thru-hike. IMO, it makes them unnecessarily heavy, wordy, and cumbersome on a thru-hike.

Yogi's book and Eric's guides give great in town descriptions(of the towns they most likely visited along the PCT). Yogi's book in particular has much worthwhile overall PCT hiking advice.

TrippinBTM
02-17-2010, 04:16
Would it be possible to thruhike with just the Data Book? Does it have maps? Good town info? Yogi's book looks awesome, but has a lot of stuff I don't really need (tho I'm sure I'd enjoy reading), and I'm trying to save money. Maps are nice, and I'd love a guide book with maps included, but they are a luxury. I don't need a geology lesson, so the guidebooks seem unnecessary. What do you guys think?

leaftye
02-17-2010, 11:51
Halfmile maps are what I'm using this year. It has pretty good information about water, campsites and towns on the maps, so I probably don't need much else. I'm still deciding which data book I want to bring, if any. Then again, I'm leaving well ahead of the pack, and hoping to enter the Sierras much earlier than most thru-hikers, so I want better maps.

buff_jeff
02-17-2010, 14:15
Would it be possible to thruhike with just the Data Book? Does it have maps? Good town info? Yogi's book looks awesome, but has a lot of stuff I don't really need (tho I'm sure I'd enjoy reading), and I'm trying to save money. Maps are nice, and I'd love a guide book with maps included, but they are a luxury. I don't need a geology lesson, so the guidebooks seem unnecessary. What do you guys think?

I'm thinking about taking the data book, and just ripping the maps out of the guidebooks and taking them along.

BrianLe
02-17-2010, 14:25
"Would it be possible to thruhike with just the Data Book? Does it have maps? Good town info? "

Can't really comment on how you, personally should make the tradeoffs, but the PCT data book does not have ANY maps or town info. Town info is pretty much exclusively available via Yogi. Erik the Black's PCT atlas does have some, and of course there are some subset bits of information you can collect on your own, but if you want the most complete town-related info, Yogi has it.

To be clear, people DO hike the trail with just the data book (and the free water report in the southern portion). Most times you'll be fine; it's a subject of endless debates on how badly you need or "should have" maps. It's pretty clear to me that maps are more necessary on the PCT than, say, the AT, however.

In terms of not needing a geology lesson --- understood, but you're also trying to save money. PCT Atlas would otherwise sound like a good choice for you, but it's not cheap. Perhaps you can find the three Wilderness Press guidebooks on sale or used or something. Cut them up and put pieces into your bounce box or resupply boxes. Apart from geology lessons and the like, these do include colored maps and (yes, somewhat verbose) information about the trail and alternate trail choices (PCT equivalent of "blue blazes") and the like.

Halfmile's maps are indeed great, the catch there that you have to one way or another pay to get them printed out, and here too there can be a significant volume (and weight) of paper to deal with, hence again --- bounce box or resupply boxes to split these up.

Based on the questions you're asking, you might want to have a look at all portions of the "documentation" section of the PCT FAQ (http://postholer.com/faq.php#Documentation). And maybe other parts. It's not a truly complete FAQ, but has quite a bit of stuff there you might find useful.

Spirit Walker
02-17-2010, 14:26
When you are hiking in snow, you will definitely want maps.

On the PCT there are several alternate routes that are much better than the official route. Remember, the PCT is designated for horse use. Sometimes the alternate route is great for hikers - i.e. waterfalls, views, lakes, etc. - but they don't want horses there because of the risk of damage to the trail or horse. If you are just using the data book, you won't have a clue about those alternates. You also won't have a clue about bailouts when necessary (and on the PCT it is often necessary.)

Carry something besides the data book.

BrianLe
02-17-2010, 14:41
"When you are hiking in snow, you will definitely want maps"

I actually wrote the "general navigation (http://postholer.com/faq.php#GNavigation)" part of the above PCT FAQ (which is perhaps why I'm shilling for it ... :-)). Per the bottom of that, in addition to snow, bare rock can mess you up (get you lost) ... no obvious trail on solid rock, and rock-colored cairns can blend in with a rock-colored background. Ditto a sometimes confusing mix of local trails that sometimes appear closer to "civilization". And you can just zone out and walk by what should be obvious trail markings; a friend of mine was reported "lost" at one point when he did this and walked the wrong way at an intersection. He was considered missing for 2 - 3 days, and was quite suprised when he walked into the next trail town and saw his face on a "Have you seen this guy" poster.

So I'm definitely in the "should take maps" on the PCT camp. And either have some knowledge and experience at using maps & compass together (know how to read a topo map) or bring a GPS that can't possibly fail or break or get lost or run out of battery power ... (and btw, know how to use that too, in conjunction with the particular map source that you have).

Erik The Black
02-18-2010, 20:47
I didn't use Erik's books, but he screwed over a lot of hikers last year by promising guidebooks for northern CA and Oregon by certain dates and not delivering on time. Some hikers had to print out pdfs that Erik emailed out. Other hikers simply went without. Like I said, I wasn't even using his books, but it pissed me off that someone would mistreat thru-hikers that way.

That is true. I felt terrible about that...

It took me longer to finish the last two volumes than I originally expected and the company that prints my books fell through on their delivery estimates at the last minute, so I wasn't able to get Atlases delivered to some of the hikers on the trail before they needed them.

I did the best I could to rectify the situation by notifying people about the delay and making online PDFs available to print out for the first couple of sections, shipping books to Post Offices general delivery and issuing refunds to anyone who didn't want to wait. I wish I could have done more, but I was stuck waiting on the books myself.

In the end most thru-hikers did receive all of their Atlases before they needed them. But there were also some people who I let down. It was my fault for being too optimistic in my estimates and thinking that everything would go perfectly smoothly, when it reality things rarely do.

That won't be an issue this year because all five books are in-stock and available immediately.

Happy trails,
Erik the Black

Connie
04-17-2010, 13:59
I am in Oregon, right now. I know some of those areas and have unknowingly hiked the PCT.

I admit to being rather intrigued by it all: thru-hiking. I am more of an out-and-back, loop trail, or destination hiker: staying out as much as possible to explore.

I got the Pacific Crest Trail Atlas: Oregon 2nd Edition.

The information there is very complete.

I don't know much more I could ask for, for Oregon.

Do you also show the part of the PCT and "blue blaze" trails where bicyclists share the trail?

I didn't see it in the Map Symbols. I almost got run over by a trail bike on a popular trail, once. This is part of the reason I seek less used places to hike.