PDA

View Full Version : New To The Forum

Scruffy
10-10-2009, 17:39
Hello all,

My trail name is Scruffy. I decided to do a AT thru hike starting March 1,2010 from Springer Mtn.
I do have some experience at 4 day hikes but that is about it.
I am just starting the planning process and getting back in shape:)
I have the 2009 data book and the 2009 hikers companion on the way from amazon to help with the planning.
I have been doing a lot of reading here on the forum and learned alot. So thanks to who ever done all the different articles.
I am looking forward to what yall (I am from the south) can teach me to make my first thru hike a success.:sun
Also I am a ham radio operator ( KG4ENB ) and I have hike for a few days with a HF rig. Does anyone have experience with taking a hf radio on a thru hike?

Feral Bill
10-10-2009, 17:57
:welcome Welcome to White Blaze. Plenty of info here. Note the search function and have fun.

Spokes
10-10-2009, 18:30
Hi Scruffy. This is Spokes (KD4VUA). I think there was a small article in a recent ATC Journeys edition about a hiker who carried a small morse code tuna can rig. My HF rig has been in mothballs for years. Maybe I shoud fire it up?

Good luck in your planning!

Pacific Tortuga
10-10-2009, 18:33
:welcome You should do fine. Bring the radio or not, when you get tired of carrying it, mail it home.

Blissful
10-10-2009, 19:22
Hi Scruffy. Get your gear and go take a hike! Adventure of Lifetime (to take Ed Garvey's phrase). :)

ridgerunninrat81
10-11-2009, 00:54
Agree the trip of a lifetime, Plan, Enjoy

MintakaCat
10-11-2009, 08:12
Welcome to WB. I've had my amateur license for 33 years but I've never taken an HF rig with me. With the weight issue it will need to be a QRP rig as I think you already know that. Because of that you're going to need to spend some time stringing up a wire antenna.

Most thru hikers I've read about are pretty tired at the end of the day, might be more work than it's worth. However, if you got the radio bug real bad, then bring it along.

I do take a tiny little VX-3 with me backpacking and it comes in handy from time to time, but its not HF.

73s

TOW
10-11-2009, 08:33
welcome, good crew here.........

Slo-go'en
10-11-2009, 13:29
I think there was a small article in a recent ATC Journeys edition about a hiker who carried a small morse code tuna can rig.

That would have been Dennis, K1YPP, known as "K1" on the trail. He made contacts from each state on the trail. On the second half of his hike, he carried one of my ATS-3A rigs, which fits into an Altoids tin. The complete set up - rig, batteries, key, tuner and antenna weighs in at about 1 pound and is pretty compact.

The most effective antenna is an End Feed Half Wave. You only have to throw one end of the wire up into the trees (use a soda bottle with a little water in it as a throwing weight) and there is no feed line to deal with.

You will probably find your too tired or there is too much activity going on around you (if you stay at or near shelters) to play radio very often at the end of the day. It's not easy to send and copy code when your tired and its wet, cold and laying in a tent. Or when there's a lot of other hikers standing around asking what the heck your doing.

A good plan is to use a bump box to send the radio gear ahead and only carry it when its a short distance from mail drop to mail drop. You really don't want to carry the extra weight the whole distance of the trail. Only carry it over reasonably easy sections of trail and when you don't need to pack 5-6 days of food too.

Google my call KD1JV to find out more info on the ATS-3 rig.

Good luck and have fun on the trail!

Scruffy
10-12-2009, 08:04
Google my call KD1JV to find out more info on the ATS-3 rig.

Good luck and have fun on the trail!

Hey I have built a few of your kits:banana I put your digital readout in a SW40 Kit, you can see it on QRZ.

Thanks for all the advice everyone I will keep all suggestions in mind.

I met WILDCAT yesterday in person , the first thru hiker i have ever met. I hope I didnt talk his ears off:o

Well time to start some planning:)

chefjason
10-12-2009, 09:14
Hey Scruffy. Welcome to WB. Good luck with the thru hike plans. If you make it up to NGA for a warm-up week end hike, give us a heads up. Maybe I'll be on the trail myself.

Chaco Taco
10-12-2009, 10:51
Just know that whatever you plan goes right out the window by the time you finish Georgia. Get your gear, a guidebook and just start walking. Try and Average about 12-15 miles a day.

chefjason
10-12-2009, 11:12
Just know that whatever you plan goes right out the window by the time you finish Georgia. Get your gear, a guidebook and just start walking. Try and Average about 12-15 miles a day.
You are being generous. I would imagine most plans are scrapped by Walasi-Yi.