PDA

View Full Version : Missing Hiker Story From June

txag
10-10-2009, 19:04
I have been lurking on this site for about 6 months. Buying and evaluating gear that is discussed (sorry, no hammock.......yet). Here in the Rockies ultralight and long distance backpacking is not common in my circle - nor is much of the gear. My packing buddies will laugh at me using an alcohol stove - even while they are field stripping and repairing their Whisperlites.

Even though this is not AT related you may remember CNN covering "the hiker who dialed 911, was rescued and then disappeared". National news did not cover what happened - even my mother had to call to find out. Here is the link, pop another link on this page to go to a master page with other information concerning this incident. Not a bad read surfing on a Saturday night. The only problem is that everything went wrong with this rescue attempt.

http://www.blnz.com/news/2009/06/19/Helicopter_pilot_just_before_crash_2898.html

I will be hiking at the base of Santa Fe Baldy tomorrow. It is my neck of the woods.

mrhughes1982
10-10-2009, 19:51
Wow. That's a sad story. It's amazing the one guy survived rolling 800 feet down a mountain.

Trailsbest
10-15-2009, 12:54
It's amazing that his wife remained professional after hearing him say "negative", I couldn't imagine what I would say to my wife in such a dire situation.

XCskiNYC
10-19-2009, 20:35
It's amazing that his wife remained professional after hearing him say "negative", I couldn't imagine what I would say to my wife in such a dire situation.

When Rob Hall, the famed New Zealander and Mt. Everest guide, made the last radio call to his wife before he died on the mountain in May, 1996, he said, "Sleep well my sweetheart. Please don't worry too much."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Hall

LIhikers
10-19-2009, 20:57
As a helicopter mechanic and a hiker, that story affected me on a couple of different levels. And it wasn't good in any way.

hammock engineer
10-20-2009, 01:44
We make our own decisions on the risks when we knowingly go regaurdless of the risks. It doesn't mater if it is a weekend hike or a long mutli week hike. We all know the risks. You have to feel for the person lost, but I feel more for the person that made the choice to come to the aid of someone lost.