PDA

View Full Version : Here is one for the non-filter crowd

babbage
10-10-2009, 21:20
After our second morning in Bald River/Tellico area we hiked up the trail and saw this deer in Kirkland Creek. About a half mile above the spot where we camped and where we got our water from the creek.

He had been dead for while - the eyes were really clouded over. A hunter we saw the next day told us that it was foam that was coming from the deers mouth and that it was probable that the deer died of "wasting disease". YUMMY.

babbage
10-10-2009, 21:22
You can't tell from the photo, but there was water flowing under the deer.

Lone Wolf
10-10-2009, 21:42
and your point is?

Bulldawg
10-10-2009, 21:44
and your point is?

He's trying to tell us we are stupid for not filtering.:-?:-?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wise Old Owl
10-10-2009, 21:45
Well a few hunters have contracted waisting desease and died!

Well documented in American Journal & a hunters magazine.

Snowleopard
10-10-2009, 22:00
There are some cases of possible transmission of chronic wasting disease to humans. The CDC seems to think the chances are low.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol10no6/03-1082.htm
I don't think a filter would remove the prions that cause chronic wasting disease -- the molecule is too small. On the other hand, I'm not sure how likely it is to enter the water in that situation -- my guess it's not likely, but ask a chemist. On the other hand, you wouldn't want to eat the deer.

Wise Old Owl
10-10-2009, 22:22
Hey you are right,,, I forgot about that - it was mentioned in the article, I suspect if the meat is cooked the prions get past that too.

babbage
10-10-2009, 22:23
He's trying to tell us we are stupid for not filtering.:-?:-?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I would NEVER say you were stupid for not filtering - my mother raised me better than that.

Just something to consider, is all.

Bulldawg
10-10-2009, 22:38
I would NEVER say you were stupid for not filtering - my mother raised me better than that.

Just something to consider, is all.

I only drink unfiltered water from sources I can see coming out of the ground. But when I can see it coming out of the ground, mmmmm, that is some sweet water!!:banana:banana

gravy4601
10-10-2009, 22:53
Bear Grylls would have ate it and i bet the little ninja in chuck noris's beard killed it

Jonnycat
10-10-2009, 23:07
I have found deceased elk near water sources on numerous occasions, most of the time in thickly overgrown areas that look like they would be nice places to die.

jrwiesz
10-11-2009, 04:41
After our second morning in Bald River/Tellico area we hiked up the trail and saw this deer in Kirkland Creek. About a half mile above the spot where we camped and where we got our water from the creek.

He had been dead for while - the eyes were really clouded over. A hunter we saw the next day told us that it was foam that was coming from the deers mouth and that it was probable that the deer died of "wasting disease". YUMMY.

That deer doesn't appear to have died from CWD. From the photo you posted it appears to have been relatively healthy prior to its death.
CWD is just that, "chronic wasting disease". Wasting away over a long period[years].

A bow and arrow shot deer, may have foam coming from the mouth as a result of asphyxiation on its own blood/body fluids. It appears more likely the case here[from that photo], or at least one possibility. Another possibility is that it may have died as a result of exhaustion[being chased by dogs?].

But, drinking from a source, that is contaminated from an animal that had CWD, is definately not a good idea. The prions will remain at the site for many years[and can transmit the disease], from what I recall in researching this matter on the Michigan DNR web site.

babbage
10-11-2009, 08:39
That deer doesn't appear to have died from CWD. From the photo you posted it appears to have been relatively healthy prior to its death.
CWD is just that, "chronic wasting disease". Wasting away over a long period[years].

A bow and arrow shot deer, may have foam coming from the mouth as a result of asphyxiation on its own blood/body fluids. It appears more likely the case here[from that photo], or at least one possibility. Another possibility is that it may have died as a result of exhaustion[being chased by dogs?].

But, drinking from a source, that is contaminated from an animal that had CWD, is definately not a good idea. The prions will remain at the site for many years[and can transmit the disease], from what I recall in researching this matter on the Michigan DNR web site.

I was hoping that it was a death from bow hunting. Apparently there was a hunt the week before. I did not take my boots off to get close to the deer - but the stuff coming out of his mouth looked more like a tongue or some pinkish colored guts. I really doubted that it was CWD when the hunter told me that, but it could be.
I took my winter stove on this trip to give it a pre-season run and get into water/snow boiling mode again. I did drink a qt of filtered water, but the water for the next day was boiled and left out to cool overnight. By the way - I love that method of water collecting. It is so much easier to boil than to pump. As long as it is cool enough at night to take the heat out of the water I prefer that method. Of course, I guess that would not be a good idea for a thru hike - but for a week or two it works good for me. I am a "to each is own" thinker. My original post title was worded for effect not opinion. When I started hiking water filters were unheard of in my circle, so we always boiled our water. It is a habit that I have always had and am comfortable with. I use some form of something to treat my water - always. Bleach, Aqua Mira, Iodine, Filter, or Boil. By the way -- I drank untreated water from Windrock Mountain in 1990 and got Giardia - I did not like it.

vamelungeon
10-11-2009, 09:29
That was probably it's tongue sticking out, they do that when they get killed. I would bet that buck was shot with an arrow but the hunter wasn't able to find it, which happens if the deer doesn't leave a blood trail.
Getting water that you can see coming out of the ground is a good idea. As far as not filtering, would you drink water downstream from that dead deer even if you DID filter?

garlic08
10-11-2009, 10:44
Drinking untreated water is a risk some of us choose to take and this is one example of the risk. That reminds me of the time last summer I was drinking snow melt from a pool at the foot of a snowfield in Idaho before I noticed a small bear turd steeping at the edge of the pool. Oh well, at least nothing happened. Usually I'm more careful than that. I think most of us high-risk takers use some care in selecting our water sources. I avoid them if I can't see the source or have no knowledge of what's upstream, and this is a good reason why.