PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Good 1 man tent...any suggestions.

Ridgeline
10-11-2009, 17:26
I have a nice 2 man tent that I like to use for car camping and short range backpacking trips. I am trying to get into doing some longer range hikes and at 5.5 lbs this tent is not worth the weight(even though I like the extra room). I am looking for a 1 man tent that is lightweight, good quality, enough room inside that it doesn't feel like sleeping in a coffin, and won't break the bank--$150 is my max, under $100 would be awesome....I've looked around a lot online but there are so many choices...plus, I'd rather take the advice of the experience of all the folks on this site that have actually used the product...thanks

Not Sunshine
10-11-2009, 17:34
I have the Kelty Crestone 1. I managed to snag it at REI for <$100. It's easy to put up - and you can pack it with the rainfly attached so if it's raining it protects the inside of the tent. Good sized vestibule, as well.

It is, however, nearly 4 lbs. But it's sturdy and I expect it to go a long way. Sure, I could find an ultralight shelter, but for $94 - really.

I'm 5'8" and there's plenty of head and leg room for me - I can easily imagine a 6' person fitting fine.

Franco
10-11-2009, 17:42
How tall are you ?
Franco

srestrepo
10-11-2009, 18:15
i've been looking for something similar myself, but being 5'11 290 pounds its proving to be quite difficult. i've heard some pretty good things about the sierra designs light year, though the price is something to be considered.

if you're into lightweight there are the henry shires tarptents that seem to have quite a following...

the one last thing i did want to mention is that there is a website that sells big agnes gear that is used. but its at a 40% discount... you could get a seedhouse 1 used for like 90 bucks also...
heres the link for that
http://www.wearbap.com/product.php?productid=16733&cat=398&page=1

anyway good luck on your choice, keep me posted on your decision as i'm looking for something myself but havent been able to make one yet.

RiverWarriorPJ
10-11-2009, 18:20
http://www.hiltonstentcity.com/library/eu-zeus.hgreattm

great tent

Ladytrekker
10-11-2009, 18:44
I camped in my new Sierra Designs Flashlight Clip 2. They say this is a two person tent but you would have to be extremely intimate with that 2nd person. It is fairly light at 3.6 lbs packs up to 4" x 19". I like it did great for me. I pulled the fly back and laid there listening to the Florida Gator game on my MP3 player FM tuner and watch shooting stars taking off from all directions it was a great night.

BitBucket
10-11-2009, 18:51
I've got a brand new never used Mountain Hardware Sprite 1 complete with footprint for $135 delivered to you in GA...

I bought it about 3-4 months ago at REI, set it up and it's just a tad too short for me and I'm 6'-1""...tent with footprint retails for $200 at REI..

Specs on the tent are:

Specifications for the Sprite 1 Tent by Mountain Hardwear: Capacity: 1 Minimum Weight: 2 lbs. 15 oz./1.32 kg. Pitchlight Weight: 2 lbs. 6 oz./1.08 kg. Packed Weight: 3 lbs. 7 oz./1.57 kg. Floor/Vestibule Area: 17.5 + 5 sq. ft./1.6 + 0.5 sq. m Peak Height: 37"/94 cm. Poles: 2 Doors: 1 Vestibules: 1 Packed Size: 19" x 6"/48 x 15 cm. Usage: Three-Season Backpacking / Camping Tent Floor: 70D Nylon Taffeta 3000mm PU Fabric: Fly: 75D Polyester Taffeta 1500mm PU Fabric: Canopy: 20D Nylon Knit Mesh/68D Polyester Ripstop DWR .

Hooch
10-11-2009, 19:12
http://img.geocaching.com/track/5ccfddc8-1d9a-4d1b-89cb-bbc594e6dc7a.jpg

johnnybgood
10-11-2009, 19:27
http://img.geocaching.com/track/5ccfddc8-1d9a-4d1b-89cb-bbc594e6dc7a.jpg
Hey Hooch ! Looks a little cramped for a catnap.

NoGaHiker
10-11-2009, 19:55
I like my Clip Flashlight. Little heavy, lots of extra room and has kept me dry in some very heavy rains.

TOW
10-11-2009, 19:58
The best one man tent I have ever had was a Coleman Peak 1 one man tent. It cost me like $45.00 at the Coleman Camping Store in Pigeon Forge, Tn. But that was in 2000, so if they still make it, they would probably be a bit higher....

This tent is similar and even though it says it is a 3 season tent I would say that it would hold up in snowy conditions pretty good.........http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000000451&categoryid=11070&brand=

No matter if you are caught in the snow with a 4 season or 3 season one thing you can count on is that you will have to keep the snow off of your tent by getting out and removing it or knocking it off from the inside. I now pack a Mountain Hardwear Kiva Mid pole tent.......http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=1830&prod=758&cat=1852&viewAll=False and for the weight it is worth it. I've had this one in some rough winds already and it only took me less than six minutes to set it up.....

Mongoose2
10-11-2009, 21:20
I have the Coleman Kraz 1 and like it alot, 3lbs, well designed, inexpensive. You can pick it up at the Coleman outlet up 85 in commerce.

gravy4601
10-11-2009, 21:37
i like my MSR Hubba lightt weight and has a life time warranty against defects under normal use it's free standing and with the MSR ground cloth and rain fly there perfect the only downfall is the back of the rainfly dosent go all the way to the ground leaving a draft

Wags
10-11-2009, 21:42
i suggest you get a hammock.

BrianLe
10-11-2009, 21:57
Are you open to single-wall tents, or focused on double-wall? To keep cost down would you be open to making your own tent from a pattern?

MikenSalem
10-11-2009, 22:04
i suggest you get a hammock.

Second that - There ain't nuthin beats a bear pinata! cept maybe a water bed on a cold January night.... I miss my WB:(

Wise Old Owl
10-12-2009, 00:01
Second that - There ain't nuthin beats a bear pinata! cept maybe a water bed on a cold January night.... I miss my WB:(

Please don't be a Hammock hater....

This question comes up quite a bit, The real reason for all the variety out there is some folk want a bathtub floor and be able to sit up in a tent to change or get dry in a storm. Or keep a down bag dry. Bivys & clips are light and unless you are sleeping they are confining. Two person UL tents like shire offer far more room and Lightweight and are comfortable to move around and prepare a hot meal in the vestabule. But might be out of your price range for the weight.

http://www.rei.com/product/779205

Wise Old Owl
10-12-2009, 00:22
Are you open to single-wall tents, or focused on double-wall? To keep cost down would you be open to making your own tent from a pattern?

Double wall (4 season tents) are well above the price range suggested for this thread.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=4+season+tent

BrianLe
10-12-2009, 01:20
"Double wall (4 season tents) are well above the price range suggested for this thread."

The terms "double wall" and "4 season" are not synonymous. You can certainly find a 3-season double wall solo tent in the $100 - $150 price range if you poke around at places like spadout.com, sierratradingpost.com, etc.

KMACK
10-12-2009, 05:11
When I'm not in my hammock I use an Eureka Spitfire one man tent. $100, 3lbs...it's a "good" tent.

Ridgeline
10-12-2009, 06:38
The best one man tent I have ever had was a Coleman Peak 1 one man tent. It cost me like $45.00 at the Coleman Camping Store in Pigeon Forge, Tn. But that was in 2000, so if they still make it, they would probably be a bit higher....

This tent is similar and even though it says it is a 3 season tent I would say that it would hold up in snowy conditions pretty good.........http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000000451&categoryid=11070&brand=

No matter if you are caught in the snow with a 4 season or 3 season one thing you can count on is that you will have to keep the snow off of your tent by getting out and removing it or knocking it off from the inside. I now pack a Mountain Hardwear Kiva Mid pole tent.......http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=1830&prod=758&cat=1852&viewAll=False and for the weight it is worth it. I've had this one in some rough winds already and it only took me less than six minutes to set it up.....

That Coleman tent is one that I was considering...If you click on that link to the coleman website that you provided and click on the Tyl X2 tent on the list to the right, you'll see the 2 man tent that I own...I got it last summer. It was retailing at $169.99 and i got it brand new off of ebay for $57.99....If I can get a similar deal on that one you linked then I'll probably get it...It's basically just the smaller version of my tent and it weighs in at about 2.5 lbs less...might be just what I'm looking for.

Doctari
10-12-2009, 06:44
My favorite 1 person tent was the Nomad by wanderlust gear. The company is no longer in business, but perhaps you can find a used one. Mine, with 3 tent stakes weighs 31 Oz. You use your trekking poles as the support poles & the tent comes with 4 aluminum poles: 2 as spreader bars, 2 to support the vestibule, but if you wanted to save weight you could use sticks found on site,,,, most times.

Sorry, mine isn't for sale, youngest son claimed it when I left the ground forever.

TOW
10-12-2009, 06:48
There must be something to all this hammocking, it even sounds like some of you would defend the art of it enough to do battle......

Hooch
10-12-2009, 07:06
There must be something to all this hammocking, it even sounds like some of you would defend the art of it enough to do battle......You should try it some time. I have an extra setup I'll sell ya for a very reasonable price. Hell, I'll even throw in a tater peeler. :rolleyes::D

TOW
10-12-2009, 07:11
You should try it some time. I have an extra setup I'll sell ya for a very reasonable price. Hell, I'll even throw in a tater peeler. :rolleyes::D
I might just go for it, that is if it's still there at the end of the year but only if that tater peeler is still available......first things first, moving into a store hopefully......

Deadeye
10-12-2009, 09:19
I didn't read to see if anyone recommended it, but for my money, skip the one man tent and go for 2-man. Bigger, roomier, for not much extra weight. My choice - 2 man Squall from Henry Shires TarpTent. My real choice... Blackbird Warbonnet hammock

Grinder
10-12-2009, 11:25
doctari recommended the nomad tent except you can't get it.
I'm told the LightHeart Tent is the same design and is currently available .
Search "Lightheart Gear" to find the site.

I saw it at Franklin this spring. Nice setup.
Grinder

BrianLe
10-12-2009, 11:44
Deadeye said: "... for my money, skip the one man tent and go for 2-man. Bigger, roomier, for not much extra weight."

And went on to suggest the Tarptent Squall for tent users. I own the Squall2 (current version of this 2-person tent) as well as their Contrail model solo tent. For even a fairly large person going solo I'd recommend the Contrail. For a solo tent it's very roomy and almost 10 oz lighter. Lots of people (including me) have a lot of miles on this tent, even with the newer choices (sublite, moment models) it's a great option for someone who's willing to go with a single-wall tent and wants to have a roomy tent that's lightweight.

mister krabs
10-13-2009, 08:26
alps mountaineering zephyr 1 will keep you dry and give you plenty of room. 3lbs 12oz packed. I've got a zephyr 3 and it has kept me dry in downpours. Backcountry has several returns priced at 65$ with 10$ shipping on GearTrade.com. They've got zephyr 2's for a pound and 4 dollars more.

LimpsAlong
10-13-2009, 10:39
Just used mine for the first time. At Woody Gap the night of the big rain. High winds and heavy rain and the tent did fine. $125.00 on ebay new. Less than 3 lbs.

Cookerhiker
10-13-2009, 20:16
At the Gathering, I happened to camp adjacent to Judy Grossaka Heartfire who has designed a new ultralight tent with which I was quite impressed. Check it out here (http://www.lightheartgear.com/lighthearttent1.html). Right now she's custom-making all orders (she's a seamstress as well as a long-distance hiker) but plans to move to mass production soon.

Cowee
10-13-2009, 20:45
Having made several bad choices over the years, I'd suggest that you delay any purchase until you can afford the latest state of the art single wall tents such as the "One" by gossamer Gear. At 1 lb4oz with lots of room, it's a backpacers dream come true. If you can settle for a three season tent. I've used this tent on several trips on the AT and have been very satisfied with it's performance, size and weight.

Bags4266
11-14-2009, 18:54
I have the Flashlight Clip as said before tight for two but the Tajai for one!! I am scaling lower and buying the Contrail. So wait and research. I am not upset on the purchase of the Fl clip I will still use it from time to time. But being 2.5 lbs lighter is large!

white_russian
11-14-2009, 23:46
another vote for the hammock. you can get a hennessy expedition for 140 not on sale and it is less than 3 lbs.

take-a-knee
11-15-2009, 00:10

A cheap tent in JAN is the waterbed, it really helps if you actually had experience with something before you offer advice on it.

4Whatitis
11-15-2009, 04:13
I have a T1 from REI. I am 5' 10" and weigh in at 155 lbs I find that it good for my size. The tent by itself seems the smallest but when I added my full length thermarest there were a few inches on the ends open. Laying flat inside I touched the tent very lightly with my shoulders but I could put my arms above my head. This tent design does allow you to sit up with head room and sideways with an open door. The rain fly seems good and makes the tent feel much bigger and bright because of the colors used. With just the rain fly and foot print there seems to be plenty of room for a person and a pack in good weather if you don't mind bugs.
It weighs in at 3.6 lbs fully packed to include the footprint and set me back $178.47 total to include shipping but, it now can be found for less. I try to go on the lighter side without feeling as if I am over compromising to much.

brooklynkayak
11-15-2009, 06:09
I consider most of these tents that have been suggested to be too heavy for a solo backpcking tent by todays standards.
There are a lot of good solo shelters that weigh less than 2 lbs. An extra pound or two does matter to most backpackers.

You may want to seriously look into a hammock or bug bivy under a tarp if you want the room and flexibility.
Or one of the many different tarptent designs out there.

QuebecRun
11-15-2009, 10:09
Blackbird hammock! Great night's sleep for one.

Tipi Walter
11-15-2009, 10:56
How small are you?

HeartFire
02-07-2010, 21:46
I have resurrected the nomad tent, only made it a lot better. see the LightHeart tent. www.lightheartgear.com (http://www.lightheartgear.com)
HeartFire

My favorite 1 person tent was the Nomad by wanderlust gear. The company is no longer in business, but perhaps you can find a used one. Mine, with 3 tent stakes weighs 31 Oz. You use your trekking poles as the support poles & the tent comes with 4 aluminum poles: 2 as spreader bars, 2 to support the vestibule, but if you wanted to save weight you could use sticks found on site,,,, most times.

Sorry, mine isn't for sale, youngest son claimed it when I left the ground forever.

leaftye
02-07-2010, 23:26
You have to be open to buying used if you want to get a good tent for less than $150. I've been hearing good things about the Big Agnus Seedhouse.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/28523/index.html?skip_to_post=237376#237376

Fwiw, I got a 4-season single wall tent for about $150. It's fairly lightweight, and I may even use it on parts of my thru-hike this year...actually, I'll definitely use it if I expect to get stuck in heavy snow, like if I'm still out on the trail late in the season.

AeroGuyDC
02-07-2010, 23:27
The REI Chrysalis UL Tent has great reviews. I bought one for my upcoming section hike, but I have not had the opportunity to try it out other than setting it up in my living room for a space assessment. I really like it. FYI - I'm 6'1" 195lbs...lengthwise i'm at the limit. Anyone taller would be too cramped.

http://www.rei.com/product/766994