PDA

View Full Version : Rain Jacket/Pack Cover/Tarp?

Bidwell
10-11-2009, 20:25
Hey folks,

I am planning a thru next year and I am looking for a rainjacket that would cover my pack as well when it rains and also become a tarp. I will be more than likely hiking with a bivy sack for a good majority of the trail, and I'd like this tarp to work in conjunction with the bivy to keep me dry for those rainy nights, but also I'd like the tarp to be a good rain jacket/pack cover while hiking... am I asking too much?

One of the primary reasons I am looking to do this is to go as light as possible, so the lighter the better! Thanks,

- Greg

bigcranky
10-11-2009, 20:57
Any of the available poncho tarps will do this. The GoLite is a good deal. The Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=45) provides a lot more coverage, for more $$.

In my experience, this combo can work well, but I would strongly suggest that you practice setting up in heavy rain. Ideally when you are very cold and very tired. Seriously, a poncho tarp as your only shelter requires some solid technique and experience.

BrianLe
10-11-2009, 21:33
I plan a late Feb start on the AT this year using a Gatewood Cape and a very light (water resistant, not "proof") bivy; will swap the bivy for the SMD net tent once temps and/or bugs suggest that's a good idea.

The GC is in theory designed to not require a bivy; my light bivy will be in part "insurance" (to include my lack of experience with a floorless tent), part added warmth (wind block), and in part as a sort of dual use thing for when I sleep in shelters.

I have some small experience using a Golite poncho as a shelter, and the Gatewood Cape is far superior as a shelter. My experience in using it as raingear has so far been just walking a couple of local miles in hard rain, but I suspect it will be fine.

Captn
10-11-2009, 21:59
The Gatewood cape is a great piece of kit, but you need to practice, practice, practice ..... I tied small loops of shock cord to the stake outs to make it easier to get a taught pitch as well as keeping the cape tight all night, especially in damp weather.

The splash bivy is also a great piece of kit ... I used it with the gatewood for several years. They go very well together.

I plan a late Feb start on the AT this year using a Gatewood Cape and a very light (water resistant, not "proof") bivy; will swap the bivy for the SMD net tent once temps and/or bugs suggest that's a good idea.

The GC is in theory designed to not require a bivy; my light bivy will be in part "insurance" (to include my lack of experience with a floorless tent), part added warmth (wind block), and in part as a sort of dual use thing for when I sleep in shelters.

I have some small experience using a Golite poncho as a shelter, and the Gatewood Cape is far superior as a shelter. My experience in using it as raingear has so far been just walking a couple of local miles in hard rain, but I suspect it will be fine.

jesse
10-12-2009, 03:28
I would suggest you test this setup in a driving rain in the backyard before beginning your hike. Include setting up and taking down, in a hard rain.

BrianLe
10-12-2009, 11:36
"I would suggest you test this setup in a driving rain in the backyard before beginning your hike. Include setting up and taking down, in a hard rain."

Wisdom indeed, and already done. My approach is to carry a very light ("disposable", 1.x oz) poncho for use in camp, so in heavy rain it's a matter of pulling out the stakes, putting my pack in a black plastic yard waste bag, swapping to the disposeable poncho to cover my body, and then setting up the GC as a tent.

Plan B is to lean on the fact that I'm starting earlier than average and hope for occasional space in shelters! :-) Okay, not so much plan B, but when shelter space is available, I'm happy to make it easy and be able to dry some stuff overnight.

Of whatever 'concern' I do have, it's just a lack of experience with a floorless tent, particularly in areas where hard ~extended rain can be expected sometimes, and where I might not have many options of where to pitch --- i.e., level hardpan or the like. I think I can work a little creatively with my groundcloth to get any water flowing through to flow under or around the groundcloth. Plus my new Neo-Air puts me so bloody high above the ground now that I'll be a little island even if I am in a stream! :-) This (floorless tent) is an issue for all tarp users, I expect I'll figure it out as I go.

Slo-go'en
10-12-2009, 16:02
I used a gatewood cape and bug bivy a couple of years ago and the first time I had to use the combo, the only place to set it up was on muddy ground. (couple of days out of Springer, during the peak - shelter area was packed and overflowing, all the good tent sites taken).

Found out I had no way to get into the bivy or put things down for night (like my clothes) without getting them all muddy. I added a good sized ground cloth as soon as I was able to get one.

Once you add up the weight and bulk of all these bits, it starts to get real close to what a real tent comes too. After trying pretty much every combination of shelters one can think of, I've come to conclusion a decent, light weight tent is the way to go. It just makes life so much easier to deal with and its nice to be able to sit up and have some elbow room.

88BlueGT
10-12-2009, 16:43
Check out "the packa". Its not a tarp but its a rain jacket and a pack cover in one (and can be used as either one at one time). I have first hand experience with the owner and he is a very cool guy. Also, the packa doubles as a nice pillow if you want to and its one of the best pieces of "equipment" that I own. It's also very light, I knocked a decent amount of weight off my pack when I got this. Highly recommended.

Kerosene
10-12-2009, 19:36
Once you add up the weight and bulk of all these bits, it starts to get real close to what a real tent comes too. After trying pretty much every combination of shelters one can think of, I've come to conclusion a decent, light weight tent is the way to go. It just makes life so much easier to deal with and its nice to be able to sit up and have some elbow room.My conclusion also after running the numbers.

Connie
10-12-2009, 20:44
I don't think you can count of things drying out overnight in a shelter, e.g. due to high humidity. If rain is in the plan (of course, rain is in the plan) try to have a "fabric" that will shake off the raindrops.

tammons
10-12-2009, 20:59
Campmor tarp/poncho is large and cheap and 5x9.

One setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IaYJBG7Puk

Another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH6h7chO9RY

Gatewood cape would give you better coverage.

Long feet
10-12-2009, 23:29
My conclusion also after running the numbers.

I'm not so sure about that. My Gatewood Cape is 11 oz. The lightest tents you can get are about a pound. That is pretty close, but once you take into account that you are not bringing along a rain jacket it works out to be at least a pound lighter and more versatile.

BrianLe
10-13-2009, 01:30
Exactly; to win with a Gatewood cape (or any sort of poncho tarp) you have to be happy with the poncho as your raingear. Since I'm also carrying a really light ("disposeable") poncho for use just in camp I don't win quite as much. The real-world comparison for me over a single-wall tent plus poncho is about 12 oz --- that's including the seam-sealed weight of the GC, the serenity net tent (since my tent has bug netting), a light ground cloth, stakes, the works. And admittedly it's less comfortable overall than my single wall tent (Contrail).

Still, my current guess is that 12 oz is enough of a gain to make it worth the switch.

Bidwell
10-20-2009, 17:53
On the subject, does anyone know if the MSR E-wing tarp can be converted into a poncho?

I appreciate all the ideas... thanks for the help!

ShelterLeopard
10-20-2009, 18:08
Try the PACKA!!! Mine is on my Christmas list, and Cedar Tree (who makes them) is on whiteblaze. They're really cool, and I've heard good things about them.

http://www.thepacka.com/

ShelterLeopard
10-20-2009, 18:09
Some people said in the past that they didn't realize that they needed to seam seal them, but now they come all sealed and ready to go!

Bidwell
10-20-2009, 18:46
Try the PACKA!!! Mine is on my Christmas list, and Cedar Tree (who makes them) is on whiteblaze. They're really cool, and I've heard good things about them.

http://www.thepacka.com/

I think the Packas look awesome... they make total sense and I just may buy one. However, I am curious how they work as tarps (if they work at all). Also, I am turned off by 13 oz (yeah yeah... I am an ultra-lighter :rolleyes:). I am looking for a lighter solution if at all possible.

thanks!

ShelterLeopard
10-21-2009, 10:32
I don't think the Packa would work as a tarp, and I have no idea what would... Good luck finding something! (You could just make your own thing- use your tarp and tie it around yourself, I think that might be as close as you'll get.)

Bidwell
10-21-2009, 11:59
I don't think the Packa would work as a tarp, and I have no idea what would... Good luck finding something! (You could just make your own thing- use your tarp and tie it around yourself, I think that might be as close as you'll get.)

I am leaning towards this option actually. I am giving it some thought... we'll see!

cwayman1
10-21-2009, 12:52
I know SGT. Rock has poncho/tarp I think he mentions getting custom from moonbow
http://hikinghq.net/gear/shelters.html
hope this helps

Bidwell
10-21-2009, 13:05
cwayman,

great link! I think I am going to contact the fellow at moonbow.

- Greg

cwayman1
10-21-2009, 17:22
no prob! here's some better pictures...
you gotta scroll down a ways or just click on "ponch/tarp for a fly" under the "tips continued" section

http://hikinghq.net/gear/hennessey_assym_hammock3.html

these should give you a better idea of size and setup

beas
10-21-2009, 23:15
After my trip this month I will not use a poncho again as rain protection. It rained 7.5 days out of 9. I stayed fairly dry my pack was dry but it was just a big ole pain in the butt. I will use the rain jacket from this day forward for any trips longer than a day hike or over niter.
I have set the poncho up as a shelter and have used the Go lite tarp tent(which I would still be using if not for my hammock) but never again will I carry the Go lite poncho!!

My 2 cents worth.
Beas

cwayman1
12-07-2009, 17:20
Hey Bidwell!

What ever became of your poncho tarp search?

-cwayman