PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice

jgregory124
10-11-2009, 23:22
Im a 28 year old disabled vet and I take Rudy with me every where I go. Rudy is a 1 year Boston Terrier that is deaf.....
I am in the planning phase of a trip to the AT. I will probably be starting my Hike in the Spring of next year. Rudy being deaf is a sever disadvantage to me taking him on this trip. He will always be on a leash..(Im used to that)....but with animals(snakes mainly) Im not sure if I should risk such a long trip with him. Would you risk it? If so what precautions or training methods should I undertake now?
Any advice would be great.....

Trailweaver
10-12-2009, 00:40
I wouldn't risk it from the standpoint that somehow he might get loose and be lost and you could not call him. I have a deaf animal and I'm very protective of her, so I do understand that you'd like to take your dog with you, but for the dog's sake, I'd leave him in the care of someone who would guarantee his safety when you return from the trail. I've just seen a lot of notices on the trail (and on this website) of "lost dog. . . please help me find him/her" and it always makes me sad for the owner and the dog.

mrhughes1982
10-12-2009, 00:47
What about a Jack Russell? Of everything I'm going to miss being on the trail, he's going to be the main thing. I take him just about everywhere I go. I'm sure he has the energy for it but that's a lot of steps for a little guy like him. Anyone seen a Jack do a thru-hike?

avalonmorn
10-12-2009, 01:00
As a dog lover, and Jack Russell owner, I would suggest NOT taking your dog. My Jack and I have to limit our hiking because of her feet pads. She'll never complain or limp while hiking, but the next day I notice her gait, and found the skin peeled off her pads and they were raw. I felt so bad when I realized what I had caused. We only went 3 miles for 3 days in a row while I was testing my new Golite pack. The At is a thousand times more, so I would ask a vet, or maybe other Jack owners will jump in. Respectfully, A

avalonmorn
10-12-2009, 01:07
As a dog lover, and Jack Russell owner, I would suggest NOT taking your dog. My Jack and I have to limit our hiking because of her feet pads. She'll never complain or limp while hiking, but the next day I notice her gait, and found the skin peeled off her pads and they were raw. I felt so bad when I realized what I had caused. We only went 3 miles for 3 days in a row while I was testing my new Golite pack. The At is a thousand times more, so I would ask a vet, or maybe other Jack owners will jump in.

To the original thread, I vote to leave the dog(your best friend) with someone who loves it, and will guard it while you're gone. I base this on the deafness, and the feet pads also. You'll make good friends on the trail, and won't need to constantly keep track of your loved one.
Just my two cents worth, respectfully.

jgregory124
10-12-2009, 01:33
I just think of being away from him so long....He has become like a child to me........

mrhughes1982
10-12-2009, 02:43
My dog has bad separation anxiety. He gets really sad when I'm gone. If I gone for a long time he stops behaving for other people and he's a handful.
I'm going to miss him and I'm afraid he'll need some psychotherapy while I'm gone.

thomas533
10-12-2009, 14:13
It would depend a lot on the dog. My dog will not wander out of eye sight, *unless* she sees a squirrel. When I'm hiking, there is a carabiner that attaches her leash to me. They have GPS tracking collars that are a few hundred bucks (which is well worth is if you think there is even a chance that your dog will escape.

Wild Animal encounters are a another concern. I don't have poisonous snakes in my area but my dog usually sees things before I do (don't know if this would be effected by a loss of hearing though) and she has alerted me to bears and coyotes in the past.

But I think the biggest concern would be foot pads as avalonmorn mentioned. You may be prepared for thousands of miles but your dog may not be. Try a few days to a week of hiking first and see how your dog does. They make booties to protect dogs feet for rough trails. Mainly, you need to be willing to cancel your trip if your dog turns out to not be able to cope.

berninbush
10-12-2009, 17:12
As a dog lover, and Jack Russell owner, I would suggest NOT taking your dog. My Jack and I have to limit our hiking because of her feet pads. She'll never complain or limp while hiking, but the next day I notice her gait, and found the skin peeled off her pads and they were raw. I felt so bad when I realized what I had caused. We only went 3 miles for 3 days in a row while I was testing my new Golite pack.

I know JR's are small dogs, but 3 miles per day for 3 days should not shred their paws, I don't think. You might ask your vet about that. Maybe s/he could recommend some lotion to apply after long walks, so that you can build up the paws' toughness over time. As someone who walks barefoot a lot, I can tell you that feet do toughen up as you use them-- same should hold true for dogs.

berninbush
10-12-2009, 17:16
Going back to the original poster... I have no experience with deaf dogs. But you might give some thought to the methods you use to interact with him on a daily basis. How do you normally get his attention and call him to you? What cues do you use? Are you accustomed to keeping a watch out for snakes during ordinary walks near home? Does he have good stamina on long walks? (I know Boston Terriers are notorious for breathing problems due to their unique noses.)

Have you ever taken him on an overnight hike? That might be a good place to start.

Turtle2
10-12-2009, 17:26
I will preface this by saying I do not have a dog. However, I met a hiker in '06 Red B who had his dachshund trailing along behind. I first noticed when I heard a bell tinkling. It was tied to his collar I imagine to help keep track. Red B stated the dog had 3000 trail miles. He did conceed the dog passed up Mahoosic Notch.

Conditioning may be an answer.

If needed I can supply a photo of the south end of that north bound dog.

jgregory124
10-12-2009, 17:35
Rudy is a tuff little dog 23lbs. he has great stamina. No breathing problems to speak of. We have been on several overnighters, he does great except he will jump on the picnic table if there is one. He has a back pack he doesnt mind wearing(I would need a bigger one for the AT), a jacket(he likes it too), and booties(that he hates).
I have to get his attention by waving my hands and hoping he sees me. He is smart though, I taught him sit, shake with both paws, lie down and high five before he was 8 months old.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=116979&id=649685287&ref=nf#/photo.php?pid=30391308&id=1021573001

Rouen
10-12-2009, 17:56
jgregory124, have you taken him on hikes before? if so how was he? if not that would probly be a great starting place. take him on some over nighters, then some week longs and see how he does.

for the JRT, smaller dogs dont seem to have too hard a go at it. Terriers should be especially good on the trail given their tenacity and durability. just do a lot of physical and behavioral training with the dog and there shouldn't be an issue.

Wise Old Owl
10-12-2009, 18:39
My dad's Jack Russell can do 14 miles no worrys. He's Ten and loves it. As for a deaf Boston on a leash that has a history of long hiking its up to you!

I would move ahead and have a recovery plan where someone who has a map can come pick him up if it doesnt work out and provide you with a bounce box.

And don't worry about the snakes - dogs figure it out by themselves.

Lilred
10-12-2009, 20:34
I will preface this by saying I do not have a dog. However, I met a hiker in '06 Red B who had his dachshund trailing along behind. I first noticed when I heard a bell tinkling. It was tied to his collar I imagine to help keep track. Red B stated the dog had 3000 trail miles. He did conceed the dog passed up Mahoosic Notch.

Conditioning may be an answer.

If needed I can supply a photo of the south end of that north bound dog.

the dachshund's trail name was LP for Low Profile and when he got tired Red B would let him ride straddled across the top of his pack. Great little dog. There's a lot to be said for hiking with a little dog. For one thing, they're easier to pick up and carry if they get hurt. Eat less food, less weight to carry there too.

Lostone
10-12-2009, 21:57
Our Jack Russell is down every woodchuck hole he can find. After spending several afternoons digging him out I would never dream of taking him on a trip like that.

If he is a true Jack Russell he won't listen to you when you call him especially if he is in pursuit of an animal. Mice or rats in shelters you better not plan on sleeping.

Erin
10-12-2009, 22:53
I thought the original poster said his deaf dog was a Boston terrier. Subsuquent posts talk about Jack Russell Terriers. Different dogs. I don'think Boston's are as hardy as the Jack Russel terriers but I could be wrong. Boston's seem pretty mellow and Jack Russells are pure terrier. I don't think a Boston could do a hike, but a Jack Russell has the energy but may run off, get into trouble or tear up its pads. If you decide to take him, please be prepared to send him hom if it does not work out and know that dogs are not allowed in Smoky Mountain National Park if I am correct.

Wise Old Owl
10-13-2009, 00:18
Good pick up Erin I saw that too and wondered.... different breed

Rouen
10-15-2009, 15:13
jgregory124 (the OP) asked about hiking with his deaf boston terrier

mrhughes1982 (post #3 in thsi thread) asked about hiking with his JRT

thats why you're seeing 2 different breeds being discussed, there was a split in the thread.

sheepdog
10-15-2009, 15:18
A dogs nose will usually tell him about a snake long before he will hear it. You can have your dog snake proofed by a quality trainer. Or you can do it yourself. It is really not that hard.

Blissful
10-15-2009, 19:42
I just think of being away from him so long....He has become like a child to me........

Then you should reconsider your plans and priorities, what is best for the dog and for you and where hiking the trail fits in.

mrhughes1982
10-15-2009, 19:56
Sorry if I confused the thread a bit and took a little away from your question jgregory, I just thought it was a fitting place to ask. I'm thinking of heading out early and maybe later on when its warm taking my Jack (Jester) on some sections. It's true what you said about them though Lostone and hunting. He's always ready to chase something. I think he could handle some sections and I'll need to be sure to leash him and stay away from shelters. From a lot I've heard shelters are not all that great anyhow and I'll be in a hammock.

Thanks for all the adivice guys.

singingpilgrim
03-16-2010, 17:45
I'm glad to see other people talking about smaller dogs. I've only really seen people talking about medium size dogs (like over 35 pounds). I'm planning on taking my dog, Sophie, who is a rat terrier (18 pounds). She'll be 8 when I'm hoping to thru-hike, 2011. I'm going to look into that pad tough stuff, and carry a pair (er two pairs? lol) of booties just in case.
I plan on having a handle on her harness. Not because I'm going to carry her all the way like that other weird post, but so that I can lift her over trouble areas, or across hot pavement, with one hand.
I think her biggest problem will be staying warm. She tends to get cold if it's less than 70 degrees out, and though I'm sure the exercise will help her stay warm, but she'll be wearing clothes on most of the trail! (I'm planning on making her some, layered, and orange so it serve double duty by warning off hunters)

As for not being completely off topic, I think you should just use your best judgment on whether your dog will do okay being deaf, but I think it's only a problem if he gets off leash, not with wild animals.

Mountain Wildman
03-16-2010, 17:56
A dogs nose will usually tell him about a snake long before he will hear it. You can have your dog snake proofed by a quality trainer. Or you can do it yourself. It is really not that hard.

I agree, Smell is one of their keenest senses, He will smell trouble long before he heard it, and his smell is probably sharper because of deafness, I don't have a dog but have in the past and friends had them as well as family. I have been looking through pictures on Trail Journals.com, Thousands of pictures actually, I have seen quite a few pictures of people hiking with dogs and even one guy with a cat. It's your choice but if I had a dog or have one by my thru hike, there is no way I would leave my best friend at home or with someone else for 5 to 7 months, I would miss him way too much, For true dog lovers, the dog becomes much more than just a dog or a pet, they are like, well, like people, better than some people I've met. A week or two maybe, But 7 months without my buddy, No way Jose' It will put more of a burden on a hiker but love takes work sometimes, whether a pet or mate.
Just my opinion. Good luck whatever you choose!!