PDA

View Full Version : BTWN Harpers Ferry and PennMar

cvoso
10-12-2009, 04:09
first time hiking the trail ...doing it mid NOV just some thoughts whether to hike north to south or south to north ....hows the water situation on this part....how much should i pack?

Hooch
10-12-2009, 05:53
My girlfriend and I are hiking this exact section SOBO the first week of November. The reports I've seen of late indicate that water is in good shape, no major problems.

Skyline
10-12-2009, 08:18
We started the season in great shape, but since July we've been spiraling downhill to near-drought conditions. Most springs are still running (some just a trickle), but by November all bets are off for some unless we get a good bit of rain.

It might be a good idea to check in a week or less before your hike to get up-to-date info.

Toolshed
10-12-2009, 09:06
They say Southbound is easier because you have 2 big hills - One out of PennMar and One into HF that you don't have to climb, but neither one were abig deal - just an extra half hour of walking for each.

I was in Virginia on the AT last month and I was surprised at the dry conditions and the slow running or nearly dried springs, given the incredible amount rain we had along the trail in PA this summer.

Post Edit: The few weeks before I did this section last year, I was back and forth over whether to go Nobo or Sobo as I was worried about both hills.. I decided to go Nobo and see how challenging they were. I was really surprised that I was worried over really very little.

Lemni Skate
10-12-2009, 09:25
It's been frustrating living here (near Shenandoah Nat'l Park). Since June it seems like it's pouring rain all the time in Maryland and PA or in NC, but almost every single system passes north or south of us and leaves us dry.

cvoso
10-12-2009, 14:30
thanks for the help guys.....where can i find info on the water at the shelters? i mean i dont wanna have to bring gallons with me

Skyline
10-12-2009, 14:44
thanks for the help guys.....where can i find info on the water at the shelters? i mean i dont wanna have to bring gallons with me

PATC takes care of that section. It is not part of a national forest or national park, so PATC would be the best bet to have info:

http://potomacappalachian.org/index.php?option=com_contact&Itemid=3

You could also post this question on PATC's Trails Forum as you get closer to hiking dates:

http://www.hypernews.org/HyperNews/get/trails/PATC.html

There is also this one, but it does not seem to be very up-to-date:

http://potomacappalachian.org/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=162

(Perhaps your question will cause someone knowledgeable to make it more up-to-date :-?)

A-Train
10-12-2009, 15:34
first time hiking the trail ...doing it mid NOV just some thoughts whether to hike north to south or south to north ....hows the water situation on this part....how much should i pack?

As mentioned direction doesn't matter too much. I've hiked it both ways and I enjoyed going south. You do start on a pretty rocky stretch around Devil's Racecourse, but I thought descending into HF was a great way to end a long weekend.

The Companion/Handbook and the data book should give you all the water info you need. Remember to hit up Dahlgren for free showers!

Jester2000
10-12-2009, 18:29
they say S2N is easier because you have 2 big hills . . .

I believe you mean N2S. As in, from PenMar to HF.

Toolshed
10-12-2009, 19:30
I believe you mean N2S. As in, from PenMar to HF.
Woweeee!!! I am THE D-Bag today. I'll go back and change that in my post.....

Long feet
10-12-2009, 23:37
I did that section last year about the same time. Hiking up the hill out of Harpers Ferry was the only part that I remember being difficult, but I was not in as good shape. I also had four or five days of food and way too much water. Also, I've lightened close to 8 pounds out of my pack. The view from the top was wonderful though. I had no problems with water at all.

harryfred
10-12-2009, 23:56
I did Penn Marr to Harpers 4th of July weekend. I went SB simply because it fit my section hiking. I finished at Penn Marr last year. I enjoyed this section so much I am considering doing it again right before Thanksgiving. I'm doing SB again because the view from Weverton Cliff is spectacular for your last day and you can get a beer and a bite in Harpers There is nothing at Penn Marr as far as I know. Water up my way at least to Penn Marr was flowing fine as of about two weeks ago.

cvoso
10-13-2009, 03:31
What would you say is too much water...

i planned on bringing a 2L hydration pack and two nalgene bottles

do you think that would be enough until i reach a refill point?

cvoso
10-13-2009, 03:32
i dont want to over prepare bubt def dont wanna under prepare

rynogator
11-02-2009, 21:03
Sorry to hijack this thread, but this is the section I'm interested in as well. Can anyone tell me how many miles the trail covers from PennMar to Harpers Ferry? I know some people do it in a matter of a weekend. I'm looking for a good solid 5 day South Bound hike ending in Harpers Ferry. Average 10-12 miles a day is what we are expecting to do. I'd hate to just plan on PennMar to Harpers Ferry and get it done 2 days early!

Blissful
11-02-2009, 21:12
Maybe start at US Rt 30 / Caledonia SP then and hike south. That's roughly 60 miles

Toolshed
11-02-2009, 21:34
Sorry to hijack this thread, but this is the section I'm interested in as well. Can anyone tell me how many miles the trail covers from PennMar to Harpers Ferry? I know some people do it in a matter of a weekend. I'm looking for a good solid 5 day South Bound hike ending in Harpers Ferry. Average 10-12 miles a day is what we are expecting to do. I'd hate to just plan on PennMar to Harpers Ferry and get it done 2 days early!
PenMar to HF is about 39 miles - Done in 3 days if you don't push like crazy.

harryfred
11-02-2009, 23:26
Day #1 Caledonia - Deer Lick Shelter 13.2 miles
Day #2 Deer Lick Shelter - Cowall Shelter 15.6 miles
Day #3 Cowall Shelter - Rockey Run Shelter 15.7 miles
Day #4 Rockey Run Shelter - Ed Garvey Shelter 9 miles
Day #5 Ed Garvey Shelter - Harper's Ferry 10 miles
Have a beer and a burger at The Secret Six:D

The distances are my approximation and there are other stops between the ones I proposed.

rynogator
11-03-2009, 10:02
Thanks Blissful, Toolshed and harryfred, that's exactly the info I was looking for!!!

KDOG
09-30-2012, 20:15
Whoa, whoa. I was seriously thinking about hiking this when I go to Gettysburg PA in a couple of weeks. From Caledonia to HF is 60 miles? I thought it was more like 35 or so..... I REALLY need a good accurate topo map of that section. If its that long a hike I won't be going all the way to HF. I still may do a short hike and campout overnight just for the fun of being out in nature, etc. About 2 yrs ago I hiked a very short section of it (couple miles in and back out) and loved it.

I had this crazy idea of doing it overnight but I guess that is a little much...