PDA

View Full Version : We are looking to purchase a hikers hostel

PorkchopBob
10-12-2009, 09:39
:)
My wife and I would like to retire soon, we are both 55 and all the kids are grown. We are frequent hikers and setting of and maintaining a place for hikers is a dream for us. We are to old to guide and both want to spend more time in the woods so .....
anyone thinking of moving on and want their place to continue as a clean safe place for hikers?
The more remote the better, Hot Springs area or anywhere on the AT is what we are looking for,
Thanks Bob and Bertie Lingham:D:o

Hooch
10-12-2009, 09:44
Contact Keith at Creekridge Camping in Hot Springs. I know for a fact he is looking to sell.

Pacific Tortuga
10-12-2009, 09:55
Owning a hiker anything is no retiremaent but thank god for people like you and your wife willing to give it a go.

Now go out and spend the kids inheritance. I'm sure you two deserve it, certinally earned it.

Good Luck

TOW
10-12-2009, 10:13
The Hikers Inn is up for sale here last time I heard.......

Gray Blazer
10-12-2009, 10:32
Last time I talked to Connie at Greasy Creek Friendly, she was looking for a partner or even selling it all (because of ex-husband troubles).

Frick Frack
10-12-2009, 10:34
The ATC's Sept/Oct '09 Journey's newsletter shows the Maine Roadhouse & Stratton Motel as being for sale. (207) 553-1323

Pacific Tortuga
10-12-2009, 10:48
The Hikers Inn is up for sale here last time I heard.......

Say it aint so, the nicest little set up in Damascus, IMO. She is so sweet and lets you have beer,. in moderation, which is hard to come by (for a reason), at most hiker stay's.
Great little place along the parade route.
This to me was almost perfect, a house of your own and a small 5 to 6 person set up in the back. Not in the woods but darn close with the AT and Creeper Trail close by.

peakbagger
10-13-2009, 07:25
Hiker Paradise in Gorham NH has been for sale for many years. The advantage for this place is that they get somewhat year round business due its closeness to the Presidential range and a bus service from Boston that runs daily just down the street, therefore the guests are AT thruhikers, and a lot of folks on a budget that want to go climbing in the whites. The down side is that it is on a busy street corner at the intersection of two regional highways.

dreamsoftrails
10-13-2009, 15:33
Say it aint so, the nicest little set up in Damascus, IMO. She is so sweet and lets you have beer,. in moderation, which is hard to come by (for a reason), at most hiker stay's.
Great little place along the parade route.
This to me was almost perfect, a house of your own and a small 5 to 6 person set up in the back. Not in the woods but darn close with the AT and Creeper Trail close by.
that lady has a mean side. i can see why she wants to sell...

Jack Tarlin
10-13-2009, 15:56
The guy wants advice and suggestions, period.

If ones comments consist of anonymous slams on Trail people, take them somewhere else, that's not what this thread is about.

Lone Wolf
10-13-2009, 16:48
that lady has a mean side. i can see why she wants to sell...
what did you do to make her mad?

Lilred
10-13-2009, 16:56
what did you do to make her mad?

She was wonderful to us. A neighbor let us in cause she wasn't home for a couple of days, and trusted us enough to leave the money. Never did meet her, but boy, what trust!

Lilred
10-13-2009, 16:56
Last time I talked to Connie at Greasy Creek Friendly, she was looking for a partner or even selling it all (because of ex-husband troubles).

Or because of her crazy neighbor.

TOW
10-13-2009, 17:48
that lady has a mean side. i can see why she wants to sell...only when she has to have one and she is not afraid of telling you where you erred and what she expects......and that is okay with me...;)

warraghiyagey
10-13-2009, 18:18
PM sent . . . . . :)

Mags
10-13-2009, 18:21
Hiker Paradise in Gorham NH

I stayed there about 10 yrs ago....during winter. It was almost booked solid. Many of the AMC (and other outdoor groups) apparently used it for a basecamp for their avalanche training and other winter courses.

I suspect that place is still being used by outdoor groups as affordable lodging for their various classes and such.

Cool little place..they even made pancakes that had snow and crampon designs on them for us! :)

If you are looking for a hostel to buy that gets not only hikers, but a wide variety of outdoor people, the Hiker Paradise is probably a good one! And the Whites ain't too shabby of a place to live. :)

Wise Old Owl
10-13-2009, 18:47
HERE IS WHAT IS BEING DISCUSSED

http://www.homes.com/listing/80985048/370_Main_Street_GORHAM_NH_03581

IN RELATION TO THE AT (RED LINE) IN 3D - VIA GOOGLE EARTH

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/GorhamNH.jpg

THE PLACE HAS A WEBSITE WITH PHOTOS

peakbagger
10-14-2009, 08:15
A minor clarification to Wise Old Owls excellent photo. The location of the red dot lines up with "The Barn" a competing hostel that is not currently listed for sale. Hikers Paradise is actually at the major intersection to the left. There is a slight advantage to the Hikers Paradise location as the resupply in town is located at a Super Walmart which is a few miles up the road that runs to the Northeast (on the map). There are several blue blazes to and from town to the AT, although the Carter Moriah and Mahoosuc trail blue blazes are the ones that 95% use.

PM me if you need info about the area, I am not a realtor but my house is probably in that picture ;)

Wise Old Owl
10-14-2009, 08:59
I tried to talk my wife into it.... Showed her the pictures and then told her it was NH .... (Too Cold)

She was not amused.:mad:

Jeff
10-14-2009, 09:48
I am guessing the Andover Guest House in Maine is also for sale. It was closed to hikers this year.

peakbagger
10-14-2009, 09:53
I expect there will be several places for sale in Andover. I beleive that Ethan Allen shut down Andover Wood Products, the local sawmill which was the only source of employment in town.:(

warraghiyagey
10-27-2009, 10:06
:)
My wife and I would like to retire soon, we are both 55 and all the kids are grown. We are frequent hikers and setting of and maintaining a place for hikers is a dream for us. We are to old to guide and both want to spend more time in the woods so .....
anyone thinking of moving on and want their place to continue as a clean safe place for hikers?
The more remote the better, Hot Springs area or anywhere on the AT is what we are looking for,
Thanks Bob and Bertie Lingham:D:o
Apparently the Cloud Nine hostel is for sale. . . :)

Rain Man
10-27-2009, 11:07
She was wonderful to us. A neighbor let us in cause she wasn't home for a couple of days, and trusted us enough to leave the money. ...

Same here. Wife and I stayed there in June. I'd recommend her and the place highly.

Please don't let Gray Blazer see this post of mine! It puts me over thirty hundred posts and you know what he says (in his signature tag line)! LOL

Rain:sunMan