PDA

View Full Version : Section thoughts

klpicktown
10-12-2009, 11:05
I have finalized a section choice, but wanted some more input on going NOBO or SOBO. I am going Pearisburg to Damascus----or the other way around. What are your feelings going one way or the other?

My topos havent come yet....what are the elevations like going
SO vs NO?

The resupply is a bit longer Damascus to Atkins than Bland is from Pearisburg to Atkins so I was thinking do that first? Is there a good place to park for those 15ish days in Pearisburg if i go NOBO? Thanks for your thoughts

Hooch
10-12-2009, 11:10
Mr. Parkay's elevation profiles are an excellent resource. Here's VA (http://premium.fileden.com/premium/2008/8/25/2065958/profilesFolder/AT_Seg_3_VA.pdf) in pdf.

Just a Hiker
10-12-2009, 11:13
The Holy Family Church Hostel in Pearisburg will allow you to park your car......call (540) 921-3457.

bigcranky
10-12-2009, 12:40
If it were me, I would hike southbound, so I ended in Damascus. No other reason than I like the town and it's a good place to finish a hike.

Big Dawg
10-12-2009, 13:42
SOBO to Damascus so after your hike you can enjoy a 6 lb burger at Fatties, then kick back & watch some local entertainment, like LW & TOW duke it out..... on their keyboard while surfin WB. :D

Seriously, like BC said, Damascus is a cool trail town to end a hike. And Fattie's Diner does make one heck of a burger, although I'd suggest the 1 lb version. Plus it's nice to sobo Mt.Rogers/Whitetop instead of nobo'in it.

klpicktown
10-12-2009, 15:36
Awesome.....thanks for the input. SOBO it is......and I'm sure there are a bunch of places in Damascus to park my truck? Where is the place to stay a night once I finish.
and i can imagine that burger already.........

Big Dawg
10-12-2009, 17:06
Awesome.....thanks for the input. SOBO it is......and I'm sure there are a bunch of places in Damascus to park my truck? Where is the place to stay a night once I finish.
and i can imagine that burger already.........

MRO (Mt. Rogers Outfitters) has a hostel & parking lot across the street from their store in middle of town. Best place to park & stay a night for cheap. Plenty of other places to park/sleep in Damascus. Others may chime in w/ alternatives.

Kerosene
10-12-2009, 19:33
I'd probably go SOBO, unless the weather report looked clear for Days 2-4, in which case I'd want to make sure that I took advantage of that weather while I'm hiking through Grayson Highlands. Simply gorgeous.

klpicktown
10-12-2009, 21:57
So is it pretty much a given to loop off up mt rogers???

Big Dawg
10-13-2009, 07:32
So is it pretty much a given to loop off up mt rogers???

not sure what you mean. do you mean take the side trail that leads to the top of Mt Rogers as your passing through on the AT? I didn't. some do, some don't. no vista from the top, although I've heard it's a cool wooded summit.

Rambler
10-13-2009, 08:12
No matter which direction you hike it is all up hill, so I would head SOBO because Damascus is such a nice town to finish in. All the amenities are right on the trail including a public swimming pool. People might well ask you in for coffee as you hike passed their door. As mentioned, park at the hostel directly across from the Mt. Rogers Outfitters. The door is always open, so it is very convenient to stay there and you can tent there, too, if necessary.

As for climbing Mt. Rogers, you might as well since it the highest peak in VA, and who knows when you might pass that way again. There is no view at the summit, but the trail up is easy, especially without your pack. The trail up leaves the AT very close to the shelter. If climbing the "highest" is not your thing, then pass it by.

PS I think the AT from the Park at Mt. Rogers has more downhills going south to Damascus than NOBO.

klpicktown
10-13-2009, 11:12
Since time is really no factor.....i'm a teacher-gotta love summers :)... I think i might have to check out 'the highest thing.'

but Rambler....what do you mean without your pack....just tent it near the trail and leave all your stuff there and take Mt Rogers the next morning leaving your stuff behind?? that is safe?

max patch
10-13-2009, 11:19
You're talking about 1/2 mile each way, no big deal.

As far as stashing your pack and taking the blue blaze ask yourself what you would do if someone came by and helped themselves to your pack or its contents. And then decide if you want to carry it to the summit.

fredmugs
10-16-2009, 09:55
Having hiked this section SOBO earlier this year I would recommend going that way simply because the scenary will continue to get better heading south.

Jack Tarlin
10-16-2009, 16:36
Actually, it is not all uphill.

I second going southbound; your last day and a half will be mostly downhill (and you might want to consider walking the Creeper Trail back into town as it's really pretty); and, like several folks have pointed out, Damascus is a great place to finish up.

TOW
10-30-2009, 05:52
SOBO to Damascus so after your hike you can enjoy a 6 lb burger at Fatties, then kick back & watch some local entertainment, like LW & TOW duke it out..... on their keyboard while surfin WB. :D

Seriously, like BC said, Damascus is a cool trail town to end a hike. And Fattie's Diner does make one heck of a burger, although I'd suggest the 1 lb version. Plus it's nice to sobo Mt.Rogers/Whitetop instead of nobo'in it.
I'm duked out, LW wins......whew!:eek:

TOW
10-30-2009, 05:54
MRO (Mt. Rogers Outfitters) has a hostel & parking lot across the street from their store in middle of town. Best place to park & stay a night for cheap. Plenty of other places to park/sleep in Damascus. Others may chime in w/ alternatives.Stay at the Hikers Inn......

Big Dawg
10-31-2009, 10:00
I'm duked out, LW wins......whew!:eek:

awwww,,, don't let that ole curmudgeon win,,,, keep em dukes up!:D

rambunny
11-07-2009, 22:10
You can park your car here safe free. Happy Hiker Hollow in Atkins. You have resupply(small but mighty at Trent's) If you feel powerful out of the car do P.south-that's a big climb 1st.. My 1st section hike was the 100 miles into big D. Nothing better...well maybe wherever you are on the AT.Remember Woodshole too!

steve43
11-11-2009, 13:15
did that section a couple of summers ago SOBO. one of my favorites. pm lone wolf. he was a huge help... shuttled me up to p-burg for a reasonable price and let me park at his house. not sure if he's still doing that, but he's the guy to contact to at least point you in the right direction. have a great hike...

fifo

Woods Hole
12-05-2009, 18:53
Hi
If you are headed out of Pearisburg.. you are welcome to park your car at our place... Wood's Hole Hostel. We are 10 miles south of Pearisburg. We would be happy to get you into Pearisburg so that you can do this section along with your continued journey to or from Damascus. We are also available for shuttles if you need a ride to or from Damascus.. which ever you decide..
We hope to see you on your hike. You can check out more of what we offer on our website.
Neville & Michael
www.woodsholehostel.com

bigcranky
12-05-2009, 19:52
Looks nice. That's my next section -- we'll be in touch in a couple of months.

jjohn06
12-07-2009, 16:00
I'd also hike south, Damascus is, if nothing else, an interesting town. Also, I second Jack- I'd take at least part of the Virginia Creeper Trail. You may sacrifice some elevation, but it looks much better.