PDA

View Full Version : grocery at harper's ferry

Raichle
10-12-2009, 12:48
Any resupply near or along:) trail in harper's ferry?

Pootz
10-12-2009, 13:23
I do not know of a good resulpply close to the trail. We hitched to a Wal-Mart that is several miles from the trail.

partinj
10-12-2009, 13:26
Their is a bus that run to a town up the Road from Harper's Ferry you can
call the ATC They can let you know about the bus what time it leave.

Spokes
10-12-2009, 13:41
As I recall the bus Partinj refers to was unreliable and the drivers pretty rude. Much better to plan a maildrop @ Harper's Ferry.

Hooch
10-12-2009, 13:57
Their is a bus that run to a town up the Road from Harper's Ferry you can
call the ATC They can let you know about the bus what time it leave.
"There is a bus that runs to a town up the road from Harpers Ferry. Call the ATC, they can let you know what time the bus leaves."

dovecote
10-12-2009, 14:00
Any resupply near or along:) trail in harper's ferry?

Not really. You can get some food supplies at the 7-11 store. It is about a mile up the road from the ATC headquarters across from the Harpers Ferry Junior High School.

As I recall the bus Partinj refers to was unreliable and the drivers pretty rude. Much better to plan a maildrop @ Harper's Ferry.

The bus service is called PanTran http://www.pantran.com/ Use the Charles Town (orange route) schedule to go into town. The Wal Mart stop gives use access to the store, laundry, and eateries. One caveat, the service does not operate on Sunday and Saturday routes are few.

PanTran is reliable in my opinion but the drivers are not overly friendly. You do have to flag them down for a ride as they approach you. Most of the buses are the size of a car rental bus you see at airports. If you miss flagging them down at they go towards downtown Harpers Ferry you can usually catch them shortly afterwards as they turnaround in lower town and head back the same route to Charles Town.

garlic08
10-12-2009, 14:23
I remember a small convenience store with limited hours at a road crossing a few miles south of town. It was just enough to get through HF and to the Free State Hostel where I got a ride to a real grocery.

dovecote
10-12-2009, 15:29
I remember a small convenience store with limited hours at a road crossing a few miles south of town. It was just enough to get through HF and to the Free State Hostel where I got a ride to a real grocery.

You are probably referring to Torlone Mini-Mart located off West Virginia Highway 9. It is about a quarter mile west of the AT on the highway. There is also a restaurant there offering pizza, subs, etc.

mrhughes1982
10-12-2009, 16:10
I was reading articles and doing some of my planning last night and it was suggested to do a food drop here. It also mentioned dropping at the ATC. I figured that sounds good because that's definitely a place I want to stop by and check out.

Jester2000
10-12-2009, 16:33
You can also send a food drop to the Outfitter. Most people are going to go to the ATC anyway, though, so maybe that's a better spot.

As of today, The General Store on Potomac Street in Harpers Ferry has: Mountain House, Ramen, Knorr pasta and rice sides, instant oatmeal and coffee, stuffing, chicken & tuna in the foil bags, jerky, various candy bars, Clif Bars, Shots, and Shotbloks, Luna Bars, and, amusingly, Spam in cans. There are some other food items as well. Dried cherries come to mind.

(full disclosure: I work for The Outfitter at Harpers Ferry, and my bosses also own The General Store)

The Outfitter sells olive oil by the ounce, although next season that might be down at The General Store as well. This past season the Outfitter also had a limited supply of bagels, tortillas, and cheese. Not sure if that'll move, but I'm thinking not.

7-Eleven doesn't have that much, but you could resupply out of there in a pinch.

I gave about 30-40 hikers lifts to Charles Town this year to resupply, so looking me up is also an option.

Rick Hancock
02-09-2010, 22:12
I'd use the Outfitter's at H.F. or the ATC. Post office is just across and down from ATC. There are plenty of places in upper and lower town to eat but resupply is pretty slim the 7-11 or the General Store in town. Outside of town along Rt.340 heading to Charles Town but not quite that far there is a Walmart, a pancake place (Wagon Wheel?) and a few other services not real convenient if on foot. I'm not sure about the bus/van service.
Rick

emerald
02-10-2010, 01:13
Click on the link at the bottom and the white blazes for for ALDHA's Companion.

Lauriep
02-10-2010, 14:19
If you're on the fence about whether to do a maildrop or buy along the way, consider that buying in town helps keep hiker-friendly places in business. Many of these are struggling, and a $10 purchase from you makes a difference.

Also, hitching is illegal in Harpers Ferry and on the highway that leads to Charles Town--you probably don't want to risk a fine. The bus to Charles Town is $2.50 each way. It runs several times a day on weekdays, once on Saturday, and not on Sunday.

Jester2000
02-10-2010, 14:41
I tend not to work on Sundays, so if I'm in town I can run people over to C-Town. Good AYCE Chinese Buffet by the WalMart.

The Outfitter can call me if anyone needs a lift, and they'll usually know if I'm in town or away hiking.

mweinstone
02-10-2010, 14:42
jesters got something in his fridge ill eat. then rummage his coat pockets for candy and im off! might search his truck for baked goods on the way out. or just go in the outfitters on his day off and charge crap to him. hes great like that.on road trips i put hair in his food when hes in the bathroom then get it from the trash when he chucks it. hes too polite to return anything. and deathly ascared of hair.oh, forgot,..his neighbors feed me too if i ask. and beer. im in with all the bigshots. their like putty in my hands.
resupply in harpers? why?

Rolo
02-10-2010, 15:35
You know, I am sorry but Harper's Ferry is WAY overrated. No viable place to stay the night, expensive restaurants and beer and no real accessible grocery; although the outfitter is nice.

I understand it is a tourist town with the history and all, and it is pretty nice for a small town. But it's a pretty *****ty hiker town IMO. Pardon my French.

Jester2000
02-10-2010, 15:41
Experiences vary. The hikers who stayed at my place last year, drank with me at The Pub in Bolivar, and ate at the Chinese AYCE ended up thinking it was a great trail town.

Sometimes the people in a town can make the experience better than it might otherwise be.

The Flatulator
02-10-2010, 17:07
Harpers Ferry is a "working historical museum". More of a visitors town commemorating our nations past. There is not much there for hikers. I have always (and still plan to) use Harpers Ferry as a mail drop for re-supply. Great to visit the folks at ATC, but unless you are a history buff, it's a nice place to visit, but not reason to stay and no place to shop for major resupply.

Jester2000
02-10-2010, 17:45
Harpers Ferry is a "working historical museum". More of a visitors town commemorating our nations past. There is not much there for hikers. I have always (and still plan to) use Harpers Ferry as a mail drop for re-supply. Great to visit the folks at ATC, but unless you are a history buff, it's a nice place to visit, but not reason to stay and no place to shop for major resupply.

Yes and no. Rather than think of it as a ****ty trail town, I like to think of it as a unique trail town. Home of the ATC -- which is nice. And where else along the trail can you stand where Jefferson stood, or walk where Meriweather Lewis walked?

And not that many hikers want to walk on a zero day, but a hike up Maryland Heights can be rewarding.

Within walking distance there's also an excellent restaurant for seafood (The Anvil), a great place to drink (The Pub), a library with internet access, a hilarious photo op (the liquor store in the same building and right next to the police station), and a church that puts out free water for hikers.

Public transport to groceries, and a train into DC. Plus I hear there's a pretty good Outfitter hereabouts.

What isn't here is a dirt cheap hostel. But if you want to stay for less than the discounted rate Town's Inn offers hikers, there's always the hostel across the river -- a short walk down the rather flat C&O Canal Towpath.

So I wouldn't say there's not much for hikers. I suppose it all depends on what you expect.

Oh, and I'm here, which automatically makes it awesome.

Rick Hancock
02-10-2010, 19:52
True, Harper's Ferry might not be the greatest Trail town but it is pretty impressive in it's own right. I have led a trip there every fall for over 20 years. We stay in the treehouse campground near Crampton Gap and day hike, rockclimb, tell ghost stories, and just have a good time. If you enjoy history this is the place to go Lewis and Clark got provisions and weapons here, John Brown and his men were captured here by Robert E. Lee (and hung in Charles Town) the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers meet here, the C&O Canal is just across the river, Ed Garvey's daughter Shannon use to set-up a pumpkin carving display every Halloween, the lower town is a "working museum" although budget costs have hurt, there is a seasonal ghost tour through the town, some NICE restaurants, the ATC, etc. One year we had hot with the "Mayor" while walking the streets. The town may "roll up the streets early" and it may not have all of the amenities a thru-hiker needs at fingertip, but it is a very nice town one of my favorites.
Rick

emerald
02-10-2010, 20:06
http://www.nps.gov/hafe/index.htm

Jester2000
02-10-2010, 20:41
Aw, man, I want to get over to that treehouse campground. Been meaning to go for years. I think this summer may be the time!

Rick Hancock
02-10-2010, 21:25
Hot Tea! that is.

Rick Hancock
02-10-2010, 21:26
Hot Tea! That is.

Rick Hancock
02-10-2010, 21:34
Jester,
The campground is pretty neat 1 10 person, 1 8 person, and several smaller 6 person tree houses.There are also 3-4 tree cottages that are insulated and have a woodburning stove. Price isn't too steep if you go with a group. Hot and cold outdoor showers and very near Crampton Gap State Park and A.T. Treehouses are not much more than bunk and a small floor space the cottages are worth the cost double bunks for up to 6 but floor space for quite a few more. We usually hike to Weaverton Cliffs or Maryland Heights. Next time I'm there I'll look for you at the Outfitters.
Rick

Jester2000
02-10-2010, 21:49
Definitely do! And thanks for the info! I saw a brochure for that place a couple of years ago at the AT, but not recently. You reminded me that I really wanted to go there when I saw the brochure. May have to get some Billville folks together to camp in the trees . . .

veteran
02-11-2010, 23:37
If you are in need of food or supplies at Ed Garvey Shelter, you can go to Himes Store, north of Weverton at 1324 Weverton Rd. 301-834-9815 Map (http://maps.yahoo.com/map?q1=18952%20Sandyhook%20Rd%20Knoxville%20MD&mag=2&lat=39.326238&lon=-77.709169&ard=1#mvt=m&lat=39.347798&lon=-77.677929&mag=2&zoom=16&tt=himes%20store&tp=1&q1=1324%2520weverton%2520rd%2520Knoxville%2520MD&gid1=12646403)

Himes Store is down the mountain from the Ed Garvey Shelter. There is a gated access road that begins about 35 yards north of Himes store and extends about 3/4 mile uphill to the AT. The junction w/ the AT is about 1/4 mile south of the shelter.
It isn't marked and is a little concealed but if you're looking for it you'll probably see it.

Link to article about the store: http://www.herald-mail.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=183329&format=html

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7966&stc=1&d=1265946838