PDA

View Full Version : Advice, please!

Chappy
08-10-2004, 13:24
I'll be retiring from the Army in 2005 and with leave,and permissive TDY should be out mid to end of March. I had hoped to start my thru hike before 1 April, but looks like that might be the date I'll begin. My question is it realistic to plan a thru hike with no zero days? I need to take 7-10 days in July or August in order to return to Georgia and shear Christmas trees. By taking these days off and averaging 13 miles per day I'll be cutting it very close to the time I need to arrive at Baxter Park in order to summit Kathadin. Is it foolish to attempt my hike with no zero days? Should I wait to start in 2006 when I can begin earlier in March?

I appreciate any advice, recommendations, etc. Thanks.

SGT Rock
08-10-2004, 13:31
Personally I think you can average 13 miles per day, but you will likely make better days very regularly so that you can buffer up some time. If you make six 15.2 mile days and zero one day a week then you are averaging 13 miles a day. 15.2 days ain't that hard. Good luck.

food
08-10-2004, 14:59
Sgt. rock is correct. Also when you come back to the trail you can go SOBO from the Big K.

Moose2001
08-10-2004, 15:37
Chappy..first...congrats on the retirement and making into the retired ranks. I think a hike is a great transition.

I think you can easily make it to the Big K on the schedule you projected and still take the time off. I started March 23, had to take 10 days off in Gatlinburgh due to a knee injury and 5 days off in Vermont to see my wife. I finished on Oct 19. My daily average ended up being less than 12 per day.

Try to do more miles in VA and you'll give yourself enough of a buffer to take the 7-10 days off. I would not try to do the trail without any zero days. Your body needs the days off to recover and rest. As Sgt Rock says, you can ajust your mileage so that you can stay on target and STILL have the days off.

Good Luck! Have a great trip. I might even run into you as I'll be starting about 5-6 days behind you.

MOWGLI
08-10-2004, 15:40
I'll be retiring from the Army in 2005 and with leave,and permissive TDY should be out mid to end of March. I had hoped to start my thru hike before 1 April, but looks like that might be the date I'll begin. My question is it realistic to plan a thru hike with no zero days? I need to take 7-10 days in July or August in order to return to Georgia and shear Christmas trees. By taking these days off and averaging 13 miles per day I'll be cutting it very close to the time I need to arrive at Baxter Park in order to summit Kathadin. Is it foolish to attempt my hike with no zero days? Should I wait to start in 2006 when I can begin earlier in March?

I appreciate any advice, recommendations, etc. Thanks.

If you start April 1, that'll leave 6.5 months to get to Katahdin. Of you took 14 zero days, that'll leave 6 FULL MONTHS of hiking. If you can stick with it, you should have no problem finishing before October 15. YMMV

max patch
08-10-2004, 16:02
Your body will need zero days for rest and recovery.

However, leaving 4/1 even with the time off you have planned should allow you to take the necessary zeros and still have time enough to finish your hike.

As info, I left 5/1 and generally took 1 day off every week. I finished the first week in October.

Spirit Walker
08-10-2004, 22:10
On my first thruhike I started March 27 and finished September 11. I averaged 12.34 mpd, with 10 zero days and 31 of less than 10 miles (into or out of town usually). I would have had another month to 'play with'. On my second hike, I took more time, starting April 1 and finishing September 23. I don't know how many zeros I took, but I am sure it was at least 20, probably more like 30. You have plenty of time, even with a short break to cut Christmas trees. A lot of hikers go home for weddings or graduations; I knew one who went to Italy for a week with his (non-hiking) wife and another who had to help his father put a roof on his house. There is no reason why you can't do what you have to do and still finish the thruhike. At the least, there is always a flip-flop. Whatever it takes.

Chappy
08-11-2004, 10:30
I'm greatly encouraged by your responses. And you're right...I can always do a FF if I see my time is running out. Thanks.