PDA

View Full Version : Cots For Car Camping

dovecote
10-12-2009, 16:24
Can anyone recommend a specific camping cot that could be used in a spacious sized tent? Frequently when I hit the trail for a few days my wife and trusted shuttler will stay in the area at a nearby campground. Unfortunately due to back problems she cannot handle sleeping on the ground anymore. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

trailangelmary
10-12-2009, 16:36
I own two cots for that purpose. I have arthritis in both knees so having trouble getting up from the ground. One has an attached inflatable mattress made by Ozark Trail it's called an anywhere bed, twin size. I believe it was purchased at Wal-mart or K-mart. The other is also made by Ozark Trail and is called a camp cot.

Nicksaari
10-12-2009, 16:40
hey dovecoat,
i did some research for you buddy:

http://www.rei.com/product/769019?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-769019&mr:trackingCode=678D4FFE-FB85-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=CFFT50SEILPUZLAQBBISCNVMCAEFEI WE?id=0013083515225a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=1500102&cm_ite=0013083515225a&_requestid=111993

http://www.nextag.com/folding-cot/products-html

hope this helps, but perhaps seen these. good luck

modiyooch
10-12-2009, 17:37
I bought a Honda Element and car camp. It's a tent on wheels.

Wise Old Owl
10-12-2009, 18:31
I bought a Honda Element and car camp. It's a tent on wheels.

I will attest to that ... Very comfortable ...

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/Oct08023.jpg

This is the accessory tent that exstends the back and provides a working space for the tailgate. the top folds down to make the final wall. There is enough space when the seats are down to sleep without the tent attached.

Byers & Coleman make great collapsable cots, I have used both.

modiyooch
10-12-2009, 19:02
yep i didn't buy the tent accessory. I already own tents. We do sleep in the bench seats. plenty of room. The tailgate is handy for lunch, or when it rains.

take-a-knee
10-12-2009, 21:00
The GI/military cot is the best. It needs a Camprest on it for padding, quite comfortable, I sleep as well on it as I do my bed at home.

Marta
10-12-2009, 21:49
On the bike ride across NC that my husband and I just did, I saw some swanky car-camping setups.

One person had a funny cot with a tent built in above it. You snapped down the legs of the cot and up popped a little tent.

Quite a few people had those blow-up mattresses of the kind you can keep around the house for extra guests. They had little air compressors for blowing them up. (The mattresses, not the guests.)

dovecote
10-12-2009, 22:01
Can anyone recommend a specific camping cot that could be used in a spacious sized tent? Frequently when I hit the trail for a few days my wife and trusted shuttler will stay in the area at a nearby campground. Unfortunately due to back problems she cannot handle sleeping on the ground anymore. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Mary and Nick for getting the ball rolling on this thread. I will check the Ozark Trail cot on my next trip into town. Nick, wasn't aware of the nextag.com website. Good source of information!

The GI/military cot is the best. It needs a Camprest on it for padding, quite comfortable, I sleep as well on it as I do my bed at home.

I guess these are available at a Army/Navy surplus store?

Reid
10-12-2009, 22:10
Have you looked at the Luxury Lites?

Wise Old Owl
10-12-2009, 22:26

Sorry I disagree - boxy, large, heavy & overengineered... takes up room even folded, very hard cot to sleep only recommended for 300 lbs and up and very uncomfortable. (Had One) & put it in the trash.....

Just a different opinion.

dovecote
10-12-2009, 22:43
Sorry I disagree - boxy, large, heavy & overengineered... takes up room even folded, very hard cot to sleep only recommended for 300 lbs and up and very uncomfortable. (Had One) & put it in the trash.....

After you put it in the trash did you find another cot that was more to you liking?

take-a-knee
10-12-2009, 23:20
Thanks Mary and Nick for getting the ball rolling on this thread. I will check the Ozark Trail cot on my next trip into town. Nick, wasn't aware of the nextag.com website. Good source of information!

I guess these are available at a Army/Navy surplus store?

Yes, I think Cabelas sells them also.

take-a-knee
10-12-2009, 23:22

Did you catch the part about the cot needing a thermarest? Just wondered. I've used that set up for six months straight a couple of times in complete comfort. Maybe you need a better core conditioning program.

Wise Old Owl
10-13-2009, 00:02
Yes I did catch that part... I love car camping and had a terrible accident in 2004 when a teen ran the light into me, I lost all that critical space when I downsized into a Subaru Forester. I trashed the cot, sold the Termarest here at WB and got a light weight Coleman that even has deck chair support, a tenth of the weight and stores better in the back of the car,,, Its just a different opinion, it's ok to disagree here and please do not take it personally,,,, different strokes..... etc.

Also its not as tentioned on the fabric so there is some good give for side sleeping.

http://www.luxurylite.com/cotindex.html 2 3/4 lbs.

jrwiesz
10-13-2009, 00:06
This one on ebay right now, they are also sold at Dunhams Sports.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180416337866&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Walking Dead
10-13-2009, 07:11
I've got a Go-Cot http://www.campingcot.com/ that weighs ~8.5 lbs and packs down to a 2' x 5" package. Maybe not quite backpackable but really comfortable.

brotheral
10-13-2009, 08:02
My girlfriend has back problems too. She sleeps on a slumberjack "Big Cot" with no squeak aluminum frame. The new ones have a gear loft underneath. I lay my 20"x72" thermarest self inflating lite-foam on top for warmth and comfort. She loves it.
I think slumberjack also had a similar cot with a sleeve for a self inflating mattress ?!?!

brotheral
10-13-2009, 08:20
My girlfriend has back problems too. She sleeps on a slumberjack "Big Cot" with no squeak aluminum frame. The new ones have a gear loft underneath. I lay my 20"x72" thermarest self inflating lite-foam on top for warmth and comfort. She loves it.
I think slumberjack also had a similar cot with a sleeve for a self inflating mattress ?!?!
The "Big Lux" cot (32" wide) has a sleeve and included self inflating mattress. I don't know how good the mattress is, but I've found the cot to be very reliable.