PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Hostel

Scruffy
10-12-2009, 19:26
Well I made reservations today for the Hiker Hostel for March 1, 2010. I will spend the night there and do the approach trail and stay at the Springer Mtn Shelter on March 2. And start the AT Thru Hike on March 3. Is there any one else planning around these dates.

I have also been working on a shelter schdule:confused: and plan to make it to NewFound Gap by the end of March. Is this being too optomistic or should I add a few days. Also for the over all planning about what is the average Zero days. I plan on a total average of 13 miles per day for the whole trip from GA to Me but I am also aware that I am not really sure what I am getting into:).

I am also sitting here sorta feeling that all this planning is pointless but I must admit I am learning alot about the trail as I do the planning.

later
Scruffy

bigcranky
10-12-2009, 19:33
Hey, Scruffy,

Planning is good, it helps pass the time and lets you think about the trail. Just be flexible when you actually start hiking. As for averaging 13 mpd, that's great -- but you don't need to start at that pace. (That's why it's called an "average.") You'll probably want to take a zero day every week for the first few weeks.

Have fun.

Scruffy
10-12-2009, 19:37
Hey, Scruffy,

Planning is good, it helps pass the time and lets you think about the trail. Just be flexible when you actually start hiking. As for averaging 13 mpd, that's great -- but you don't need to start at that pace. (That's why it's called an "average.") You'll probably want to take a zero day every week for the first few weeks.

Have fun.

Thanks I was thinking about that when I read about being able to really crank out the mile in Virgina. SOOOOOO much to ponder :-?

ChinMusic
10-12-2009, 19:37
Hey, Scruffy,

Have fun.

Good advice. Think of all the planning as fun and a learning tool about the trail. Do NOT get frustrated when you find yourself getting off such a plan. It is normal and actually a good thing.

lazy river road
10-12-2009, 21:23
Welcom to WB...im fairly new to and have found so much usefull information and such friendly people....im also in the process of planning...but im E2E'ing the LT this summer....I also feel that it sorta pointless to plan but am learning so much about the trail while doing so...not to hijack but is a planning ? is this mock scenario. Wake up in the morning at a shelter...the next shelter is 7 miles away lets say apx 5 hr hike. but after that the next shelter isent for another 13 miles lets say apx 8 hr away....do people just have a short hike day...or a really long hike day....or stealth camp some where inbetween...i know the schudgle isent going to be kept exactly its just a rough sketch...but what have people done in regards to my scenario above...scrufffy have fun planning and getting ready for your thru

cowpoke
10-12-2009, 22:38
Best of luck on your thru....You're starting out right....Leigh and Josh at the HH are the best....and breakfast ain't bad either!!!!

Rambler
10-12-2009, 22:49
Hiker Hostel is a great place to start. You will meet other hikers who will be joining you on the trail, and the owners are veteran thru-hikers. If you hike 9 miles one day and 17 the next, you are averaging 13 mpd. No need to hike 13 everyday! Your mind and body and weather will let you know when it is time for a zero day. Zero days are not always in towns. You might find a nice spot along the trail to hang out, write letters, write in a journal, nap, dry out gear.

Erin
10-12-2009, 23:32
Lucky! I will be following your progress. Have a wonderful time!:sun

downes911
10-12-2009, 23:59
I'm staying at Hiker Hostel but not til 3/11 starting trail on the 12th, might catch ya not sure.

see ya on the trail.

Scruffy
10-13-2009, 00:48
I'm staying at Hiker Hostel but not til 3/11 starting trail on the 12th, might catch ya not sure.

see ya on the trail.

:sunHope to meet ya on the trail

Dogwood
10-13-2009, 01:07
Ditto bigcranky. Your planning is fine; it familarizes you with the trail, but be flexible. Things are going to arise unexpectedly. That's part of the beauty and challenge of hiking, particularly long distance hiking. Initially, scares the ***** out of some people though.

Josh and Leigh Saint's Hiker Hostel is a great place to stay just before your start. If Pilgrim is there and no one has already done it with you have him go through your pack with you.

I also like that you are doing the Approach Trail. Amicalola Falls is a worthy sight to see on the AT. And, signing in at the register inside and then walking under that stone arch signals to yourself and the world you are on your way! At first you have an ear to ear beaming grin that you just can't get rid of, like when you lost your virginity, and then you start to think I'm really doing it, I'm on the Appalacian Trail. I'm following through. Eventually you get your trail legs, then your thru-hiker legs, and then you settle into your own pace and style. The trappings outside the trail fall off. You settle into trail life. At first you may not realize how different your life is when compared to the life you left just a short while ago but yet now seems so far away. You grow. You meet all those challenges. And, when you make it into Maine you might feel a pinch of apprehension that it might all soon be over. Most of all you start to realize that your life is forever altered from that pt. You will never be the same person again. You are now somehow more complete, more self aware, more grateful, more in touch with who you have become.

I feel your enthusiasm. And I know all the planning you've done. March 1 is too far away!

Through all those tough times don't forget to ENJOY! Don't forget to keep on keeping on.

Carpe Diem! ENJOY the journey!

Scruffy
10-13-2009, 19:20
Ditto bigcranky. Your planning is fine; it familarizes you with the trail, but be flexible. Things are going to arise unexpectedly. That's part of the beauty and challenge of hiking, particularly long distance hiking. Initially, scares the ***** out of some people though.

Josh and Leigh Saint's Hiker Hostel is a great place to stay just before your start. If Pilgrim is there and no one has already done it with you have him go through your pack with you.

I also like that you are doing the Approach Trail. Amicalola Falls is a worthy sight to see on the AT. And, signing in at the register inside and then walking under that stone arch signals to yourself and the world you are on your way! At first you have an ear to ear beaming grin that you just can't get rid of, like when you lost your virginity, and then you start to think I'm really doing it, I'm on the Appalacian Trail. I'm following through. Eventually you get your trail legs, then your thru-hiker legs, and then you settle into your own pace and style. The trappings outside the trail fall off. You settle into trail life. At first you may not realize how different your life is when compared to the life you left just a short while ago but yet now seems so far away. You grow. You meet all those challenges. And, when you make it into Maine you might feel a pinch of apprehension that it might all soon be over. Most of all you start to realize that your life is forever altered from that pt. You will never be the same person again. You are now somehow more complete, more self aware, more grateful, more in touch with who you have become.

I feel your enthusiasm. And I know all the planning you've done. March 1 is too far away!

Through all those tough times don't forget to ENJOY! Don't forget to keep on keeping on.

Carpe Diem! ENJOY the journey!

Thanks Dogwood that was very well done, I felt as though I was there already. In all reality I see myself signing the register, grinning from ear to ear and when I take my first step under the acrch I trip on my walking stick:) But with scratched up knees I hobble on. All endeavors require some blood, I just wish it wasn't always my blood:)

Jim Adams
10-14-2009, 02:23
the schedule will give you alot to do before your hike and you can learn alot about the terrain, history, accesses, trail towns, etc while doing the schedule. carry the schedule with you to Springer then use it to start your first campfire. walk as long as it is fun, walk as long as it is comfortable and zero whenever you need to.
if it ain't fun...why do it?

geek

nitewalker
10-14-2009, 07:09
schedules and plans are like rules! they are made to be broken. like most have said ,hike until you feel the need to stop and things will work out. do not let your hike turn into a job[chore] keep it enjoyable as much as possible...good luck

tcnic
10-14-2009, 08:38
Your plans are similar to mine. Hope to on the approach trail the last day of February and start on trail the first of March. I'm planning everything! Each day: distance covered, zero days - everything. I plan to carry this paperwork with me for humor (no plan last beyond the "line of departure.") and, well, after that, kindling? Hope to see you on the trail!

Awol2003
10-14-2009, 13:07
Although I agree with Nitewalker about breaking the plan, it's good to have one to break. If you are intent on mapping out your schedule, this 12-mile/day plan might help:
http://appalachianpages.com/index.php?pageid=12%20mile%20plan (http://appalachianpages.com/index.php?pageid=12%20mile%20plan)
There's also plans for 15 and 18 miles/day.

ChinMusic
10-14-2009, 13:20
Although I agree with Nitewalker about breaking the plan, it's good to have one to break. If you are intent on mapping out your schedule, this 12-mile/day plan might help:
http://appalachianpages.com/index.php?pageid=12%20mile%20plan (http://appalachianpages.com/index.php?pageid=12%20mile%20plan)
There's also plans for 15 and 18 miles/day.
That is an excellent spread sheet.

It takes into account the distances between resupplies. It takes into account the difficulty of a section. Its takes into account the strength of the individual hiker.

It is a good piece for roughing out what you will be doing over the next week or so, but still not something to plan the whole trail.

Lyle
10-14-2009, 13:23
is this mock scenario. Wake up in the morning at a shelter...the next shelter is 7 miles away lets say apx 5 hr hike. but after that the next shelter isent for another 13 miles lets say apx 8 hr away....do people just have a short hike day...or a really long hike day....or stealth camp some where inbetween...i know the schudgle isent going to be kept exactly its just a rough sketch...but what have people done in regards to my scenario above...scrufffy have fun planning and getting ready for your thru

Any of your options are reasonable. That is why everyone says to stay flexible. It's entirely up to you which you pick. Say you get into the first shelter at noon or even later.

Feel like quitting? Take the rest of the day off. Don't be surprised if at 3 PM you change your mind and hike on. :D

Don't feel like quitting? Hike on and aim for next shelter - perfectly legitimate decision.

Get tired/find a nice spot and change your mind. Cool, set up camp and enjoy.

There is no right or wrong, no pressure that is what's great, the total freedom you gain from carrying your home on your back.

The thing that comes into play, more than most of us like to admit, is "Where will your friends/hiking buddies be stopping? This is a tough influence to deal with, and one that should be guarded against to some degree. It's how folks become "rushed" and put unnecessary stress on their hike. Also how injuries can happen.

Have fun!!!

Graywolf
10-14-2009, 19:05
As other planners has said, the plan is good. But don't get boged down on it. Enjoy the trail and let it come to you. Good luck.. Wished I could start in March...Errrrr.......

Graywolf