PDA

View Full Version : Cherry-Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars

LaurieAnn
10-13-2009, 08:12
A variation of my energy bar recipe appeared in the August 9th edition of Trail Chef at Backpacker Magazine.

The link...
In Search of the Perfect Trail Bar (http://www.backpacker.com/_trail_chef_trail_bars/blogs/daily_dirt/1204)

The excerpt...

Adapted from A Fork in the Trail, by Laurie March (featured in our May 2008 Summer Fitness Special (http://www.backpacker.com/skills/12399?page=6))

1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 cups flake cereal (I used Safeway's O Organics Honey 7 Grain cereal)
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/3 cup chocolate chips

Heat the honey and brown sugar in a large pot and simmer one minute. (Don't boil too long, or the bars will be brittle.) Remove from heat and stir in PB. Add remaining ingredients and combine well. Note: This results in chocolate-coated bars, because the chips will melt as you mix. If you prefer solid chips, let the mixture cool, then add chips.)

Coat the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square pan with vegetable oil. Scoop the mixture into the pan and pat down evenly. Freeze for 30 minutes. Transfer the pan contents to a cutting board and allow to return to room temperature. Cut into 10 bars. Wrap in waxed paper and store in zip-top bags.

Deb
10-13-2009, 08:23
Sounds delicious, and easy too. What's the shelf life on bars like that?

LaurieAnn
10-13-2009, 11:22
I've kept them for a few months without refrigeration (this depends on the cereal you use though - as some will go stale more quickly than others). That said, I usually toss them in the freezer until we are ready to go on a trip just to make sure they are really fresh.

Many Walks
10-13-2009, 12:11
Yum, thanks for sharing.

GeneralLee10
10-13-2009, 12:20
Sounds good, I will have to make some. I am sure they would last a bit longer if one were to vacuum seal them.

bikebum1975
10-13-2009, 14:13
one word YUMMY!!!!! hey anything with peanut butter and honey is good in my book have to try those.

unclemjm
10-13-2009, 14:27
Note to self: stop by grocery store on the way home from work.

datadog314
10-14-2009, 14:25
Laurie,

The Datadog has just volenteered to be your official taste-tester. You just send him a batch of anything you're making.......he'll try it and send you the data.

I feel it's the least I could do........................let's start with a few racks of this recipe.

LaurieAnn
10-14-2009, 15:05
These are easy to switch up flavor-wise. I change the nut butter, the fruit and the cereal type all the time. My favorite cereal to use is Kellogg's Vector (but I don't think you can get it in the US) a high protein cereal.

I could have really used your help when I was creating the recipes datadog... but I'll keep your offer in mind for the future.

datadog314
10-14-2009, 16:06
Datadog licks his chops and heads out to lay by the mailbox.....waiting for Laurie to send him some test batches.

It's been a good day.