PDA

View Full Version : 2010 thru hike - slackpack

Symbol
10-13-2009, 11:03
Looking to find a partner that would like to do a northbound thru hike next year and slackpack.

I have been planning to do a two car (hiking in opposite directions) thru hike in 2010 with another person and they just bailed on me so now looking to find another like minded soul.

I am looking for someone that can has their own reliable vehicle (preferably a van or other vehicle that they can sleep in), is flexible in planning daily maileage, wants to be fairly independant, and I guess most of all a desire to hike this way. I am looking for someone that is totaly commited to doing the whole trail.

I won't go into too much detail right off on how I see this thing going... but here are a few thoughts.

I envision slackpacking as often as possible but knowing that as the hike progresses, backpakcing will not only be a neccesary thing (in the Smokies for example) it will also be something that will be plugged in to help the flow of the hike. I would like to "van camp" during the slackpacking days mainly at or near trail heads to cut down on driving all over looking for campgrounds or hostels. I am not looking to motel camp. I would like to hike in opposite directions each day and then meet back up at the northern trailhead to camp at night.

I can be flexible with start dates but am looking for mid March to mid April start date. Would gladly discuss any alternative ideas. I will try to be flexible on any on this if you are as committed to doing this as I am.

This would be perfect for an older hiker that wants to do it but doesn't think they could do it all backpacking. I'll gladly consider offers from anyone that seriously wants to do something like this.

Thanks for reading. I hope to hear from someone. I would really like to do this and I think with the right folks... it could work great.

Anyone??

Symbol
10-13-2009, 11:05
Oh... if you are only interested in doing a section of the AT this way... let me hear from you. Maybe if I can find a group of folks wanting to do it this way in enough sections... it could work.

ShelterLeopard
10-13-2009, 11:13
I think the majority of the people on this site are not slackpackers at heart. (A lot of people think slackpacking is sacrilege) I personally wouldn't do it, but good luck finding someone.

ShelterLeopard
10-13-2009, 11:14
Wow- you can really tell when I haven't had any caffeine yet. Sorry that my previous post seems a bit unecessary and slow.

ShelterLeopard
10-13-2009, 11:15
And keep in mind, a several people have had their cars broken into or tires slashed at the trailhead. Not too many people. Just don't use a really nice car.

Symbol
10-13-2009, 11:23
This is how I see the 2 vehicle slack pack going....

We camp at "Point A" and pick a next day destination (road crossing to the north) "Point B"

In the morning I drive your car to "Point B"
You walk to your vehicle at "Point B" and I walk back to my vehicle at "Point A"
When I get back to my vehicle at "Point A" then I drive it up to "Point B" and we camp there.

This process is repeated the next day but this time you drive to "Point B" and walk back to your car.

Both people need to have keys to both cars in case you miss each other on the trail. (yup... it can happen.) You only have to drive every other day. You are always walking towards your own vehicle... so when you get there your supplies are waiting for you.

The days you are driving you can stop at stores or whatever you want on the way. You can also keep your eyes open for campgrounds close by the trail?
If you aren't driving you can always take off after your hike and go where ever your want as long as you end up coming back to the place you decide to camp?

ShelterLeopard
10-13-2009, 11:28
Well, good luck finding someone. I personally wouldn't slackpack anywhere unless I was injured (or maybe hiking out of Lehigh Gap

ShelterLeopard
10-13-2009, 11:29
Sorry meant to post this:

Well, good luck finding someone. I personally wouldn't slackpack anywhere unless I was injured (or maybe hiking out of Lehigh Gap and exhausted). It totally wouldn't feel like hiking to me (to slackpack for more than part of a day). And I like to camp out and sleep in shelters and tents. I would hate sleeping in a car.

Symbol
10-13-2009, 11:30
And keep in mind, a several people have had their cars broken into or tires slashed at the trailhead. Not too many people. Just don't use a really nice car.

Thanks for your input.

I am not an AT newbie. I have been section hiking the AT for many years, parked and camped at or near many trailheads and know the risks. I do appreciate your feedback though.

As for the majority of the folks on this forum, I understand some/most/alot of them don't want to hike this way. I totally respect that. I also know that alot of folks have the desire to hike and that age and health prevent them from doing the trail in a tradional way. That is the person that I am hoping to find.

I am hoping that the thread doesn't turn into a debate on the merits of backpacking versus slackpacking. I am humbly (and seriously) putting out feelers to see if there is anyone out there that may want to do something like this all while understanding that this is not the norm.

Pete

ShelterLeopard
10-13-2009, 11:53
Yeah I understand- didn't mean to start a debate or anything! And I certainly didn't mean to imply that you're new- I know someone who thru hiked twice, and who has a LOT of hiking experience, and his car was broken into last year. Good luck!

Gray Blazer
10-13-2009, 11:56
It would work. I don't think I'll have the time. I will follow this thread with interest especially as you get closer to your starting date. Good luck.

Gray Blazer
10-13-2009, 11:58
Whoops.

Another idea is to hike together and have a motorscooter left at the far end (chained to a tree) and when you reach it one person rides back to get the car. That way you could hike together. Just a thought. Peace out.

Slo-go'en
10-13-2009, 12:14
Check out Warren Doyle's 2010 "circle hike" ittinerary. His plan is to slack pack a group from road crossing to road crossing and camp at/near the road at the end of the day. His list of where they will be camping would be a good guide to follow. All the research has been done for you. Speaking of which, I wonder if he got enough people to sign up to make a go of this trip?

Assuming you can find someone with a car willing to take on this kind of trip, I'd say the biggest problem is the amount of time wasted every day moving cars around. Even though road crossings are only 15-20 miles apart on the average, getting to these points could invole driving 100 miles in many places. You'll need some good maps to find the back road short cuts!

A thru-hike slack pack method which has been done by a number of people use a support vehicle, usually driven by a spouse, who meets you at road crossings every night. This is somewhat more practical than car shuttleing.

Symbol
10-13-2009, 12:15
Whoops.

Another idea is to hike together and have a motorscooter left at the far end (chained to a tree) and when you reach it one person rides back to get the car. That way you could hike together. Just a thought. Peace out.

That is a good idea and have done the similar thing of dropping a car off on one end and both driving back the beginning and hiking to the dropped off car.

Too much driving!! (and, I like the independence of hiking by myself)

Symbol
10-13-2009, 12:33
Check out Warren Doyle's 2010 "circle hike" ittinerary. His plan is to slack pack a group from road crossing to road crossing and camp at/near the road at the end of the day. His list of where they will be camping would be a good guide to follow. All the research has been done for you. Speaking of which, I wonder if he got enough people to sign up to make a go of this trip?

Assuming you can find someone with a car willing to take on this kind of trip, I'd say the biggest problem is the amount of time wasted every day moving cars around. Even though road crossings are only 15-20 miles apart on the average, getting to these points could invole driving 100 miles in many places. You'll need some good maps to find the back road short cuts!

A thru-hike slack pack method which has been done by a number of people use a support vehicle, usually driven by a spouse, who meets you at road crossings every night. This is somewhat more practical than car shuttleing.

I did read about Warren Doyle's group. Not interested. (but thank you very much fro pointing it out! )

I do agree with you about the extra mileage... it can be alot. Two summers ago I slackpacked from the Shenandoahs to Kent, Ct. Part of it was with one other person and we only had one car. The other part was with three other people with two cars. We tried to find campgrounds every night and often stayed in hotels. We ate out every night. The logistics were horrible!! I won't do it like that again. This is why I propose the using of two vehilces and camping at trail heads. (van camping for me) My idea is to keep this as close to backpacking as possible without carrying the pack. I plan on cooking my own food, washing up as I can, and resisting too much town time. Whoever I do this with is always free to do what they want. If they want to eat at restauants every night that is up to them.

I am not saying I won't go to a campground/hostel/motel or eat out... but want to keep that to a minimum. No more often than a traditional thru hiker might.

The last paragraph of yours that I made bold... I think that is excatly the type of person that I am looking for. Only one whose spouse might not want to do that driving.

:-? OR... now that you bring that up, I would gladly join a couple that is going to do something like that.

Thanks for your ideas, I appreciate your input.

Bidwell
10-13-2009, 16:03
Sounds like a lot of fun... I like this idea you're throwing out there. I wish you the best!

STEVEM
10-13-2009, 16:21
I like the idea, but I'd rather not rely on another person. Do it yourself:

Buy a little scooter that will fit in your van. Ride ahead on the scooter as far as you want, park and lock the scooter, hike back to your van and drive back to the scooter. Repeat.

Many Walks
10-13-2009, 16:35

Buy a little scooter that will fit in your van. Ride ahead on the scooter as far as you want, park and lock the scooter, hike back to your van and drive back to the scooter. Repeat.
We do that with a F-250 and a Jeep with a tow bar. Put 3-4 days of hiking between them and we're good to go. Works fine for us.

Symbol
10-13-2009, 16:40

You know... that is a really good idea.

I may have to fall back on this idea if I can't find a partner.

Symbol
10-13-2009, 16:42
Sounds like a lot of fun... I like this idea you're throwing out there. I wish you the best!

Thanks, I appreciate that.

mudhead
10-13-2009, 17:28
Several years ago I spoke with a guy that was using two old minivans solo. He said he would need to get resupplied anyway so leapfrogging the cars was no big deal. Sounded complicated to me, but he seemed happy.

The wife was to fly up and grab one vehicle north of Bangor.

Jester2000
10-13-2009, 18:03
I did read about Warren Doyle's group. Not interested. (but thank you very much fro pointing it out! )

I think Slo-go'en was pointing out Warren's group not so that you could join it but so that you could use his itinerary as a jumping off point to create your own.

Chaco Taco
10-13-2009, 18:27
The downfall of doing the slackpack is that when you get to NH and Maine and cant slack, you wont be ready for the big climbs and long days out. Had a crew that did alot of slacking and really paid for it in Maine and hated the rest of the hike because they had to carry packs. Funny story, one lady came up to me and said "you know, its so much easier not carrying a pack" She dropped out just before the Maine border.

Symbol
10-13-2009, 18:28
I think Slo-go'en was pointing out Warren's group not so that you could join it but so that you could use his itinerary as a jumping off point to create your own.

Thanks Jester I did catch that too and should have mentioned that as well. I think I have the interary and logistics worked out pretty well... I really just need to find someone or multiple people that want are into the concept and want to do part or all of this with me.

I do still want to read suggestions and I thank everyone for jumping in.

Symbol
10-13-2009, 18:35
The downfall of doing the slackpack is that when you get to NH and Maine and cant slack, you wont be ready for the big climbs and long days out. Had a crew that did alot of slacking and really paid for it in Maine and hated the rest of the hike because they had to carry packs. Funny story, one lady came up to me and said "you know, its so much easier not carrying a pack" She dropped out just before the Maine border.

That is great advice and I will take that to heart. I do plan on doing pack carrying sections before hitting NH. Maybe what I need to do is gradually do more and longer of those sections on my way to NH?

1azarus
10-13-2009, 18:40
if you do it with someone, I think the idea of hiking in opposite directions is really perfect -- it encourages you both to hike at your own pace. you might end up having the faster hiker do more of the driving, or do more of the uphill hiking!

others have talked about the difficulty of staying with a hiking partner for the whole trip in a traditional thru hike... (yes, you are wondering into non-traditional ground!) it may make sense for you to have that scooter ready to go so that you can gracefully bail on the together hiking thing. say, you start out together and see how it goes.

Best of luck to you! I hope you have a wonderful time!

1azarus
10-13-2009, 18:41
that should have been wandering! case you were wondering...

spunky
10-13-2009, 18:44
It's great to hear you're planning a thru hike! Hope you can find a partner for this adventrue. You know, if you can't find someone who can commit to hiking the entire trail, maybe you can find a partner to start the hike.

Symbol
10-13-2009, 18:48
if you do it with someone, I think the idea of hiking in opposite directions is really perfect -- it encourages you both to hike at your own pace. you might end up having the faster hiker do more of the driving, or do more of the uphill hiking!

others have talked about the difficulty of staying with a hiking partner for the whole trip in a traditional thru hike... (yes, you are wondering into non-traditional ground!) it may make sense for you to have that scooter ready to go so that you can gracefully bail on the together hiking thing. say, you start out together and see how it goes.

Best of luck to you! I hope you have a wonderful time!

Thanks!

Yeah... the scooter thing is a good back up plan and so are your other suggestions. Thanks again.

that should have been wandering! case you were wondering...
:D

Symbol
10-13-2009, 18:50
It's great to hear you're planning a thru hike! Hope you can find a partner for this adventrue. You know, if you can't find someone who can commit to hiking the entire trail, maybe you can find a partner to start the hike.

Thanks Spunky. This is soundling like it might be the best I can hope for... finding someone to start the trail with me slacking and then see where it goes from there.

For me personally, I think if I could slack up to the Smokies with someone... that would be a great start!

modiyooch
10-13-2009, 20:15
I started slackpacking once I hit PA because of all the roads. I enjoy it. I am now technically a slackpacking section hiker. The older I get, the harder the ground gets. Plus, I get to carry a lighter pack! I even ran a couple of sections like Lehigh Gap .
For the most part I have had a very dedicated husband to help me thru places like the wilderness. Other times, I've relied on shuttles, hiked opposite directions with another hiker, or with a group. I still backpack at times. I have one state to finish.
I hope you find someone. Contrary to previous postings, there are all types of hikers on the trail.
I've corrupted a few thru hikers along the way. I bet you end up drafting someone while on the trail. maybe even shelter leopard.
Good luck.

Symbol
10-14-2009, 11:24
Congrats on being a 140 miles from completing your section hike of the AT.What state do you have left?

I am lacking VT, NH, ME, and around 150 miles in the middle of VA... net nearly as close as you. I guess I have done about 2/3 of the trail in sections.

On a side note, my wife and I lived in Boone for two years. We love that part of the state! We would still be there if we could have made any money there. :(

Symbol
10-14-2009, 19:28
I would like to hear from anyone out there that would like to start the AT by slacking... say to Fontana Dam, for instance.

Jack Tarlin
10-14-2009, 19:47
A few quick comments.

First off, this is in no way a criticism of what Symbol has planned and what he wants to do on his trip. Plenty of other folks have successfully slackpacked most (if not virtually all) of the Trail and they've had a fine time doing it. I hope Symbol has a great trip.

So no problem there.

But I'm not sure it's a good idea for folks planning to thru-hike the trail to start out by slackpacking and THEN throwing on the pack after a few weeks.

The trail is tough, tougher than you think, and the first few weeks are critical on a thru-hike, especially in terms of getting in shape, both physically and mentally. A thru-hike for most folks is a six-month backpacking trip, and if you start out with a day pack, you may find it horribly difficult once you're confronted with wearing a fully loaded pack every day. Also, slackpacking every day will inevitably mean that you'll spend most of your nights at or very near a road, and this is something that most folks won't want to do. You'll miss a lot. Also, by starting a thru-hike with an extended slackpack, you are inevitably separating yourselves from the other men and women who'll be hiking that year. You won't be travelling with these folks every day, you won't be seeing them every day (as you'll undoubtedly be hiking much faster than the guys who are wearing full packs), and you'll certainly not be camping with them if you're going from road to road to meet up with a support vehicle. In many cases, the strongest and most enduring friendships one makes on a thru-hike are the ones made early in the trip, and if you slack the first week or two, this won't happen.

In any case, I think there are all sorts of reasons why starting a full thru-hike with an extended slack is a bad idea for most folks. If you're gonna commit to slackpacking the whole trip, that's one thing, or if you wanna come out and slack for a week or two and then go home, that's one thing, but doing it for awhile and then putting on the full pack isn't something I'd reccommend. A six month backpacking trip is a very serious undertaking, and I think most folks should confront the realities and difficulties of a long backpacking trip on day one, and not on day fifteen.

(Also, I sure wouldn't want my first day with a full backpack to take place coming out of Fontana Dam! That day's hike is tough enough for folks who've been hiking for two and a half weeks with a full load, never mind doing it right out of the box. Putting on a full pack after you've been slacking awhile is never easy; make sure your first few days with a full load are slow and easy ones or you''ll live to regret it).

Symbol
10-14-2009, 20:06
Good points Jack. I certainly don't want to screw up anyone's thru hike.

There are all sorts of ways to look at slackpacking. You can still carry your pack while slacking... sure not as heavy. (you are going to carry a day pack anyways) Slacking does give one a chance to get some miles on their legs. You can gradually add more weight to your pack. you can do all sorts fo things to ease your way into a hike.

I agree... going up Shuckstack first day with a pack isn't easy. Section hikers do it all the time. Going up the approach trail of Springer is no walk in the park either for a first day newbie.

Anywasy... just thought I would throw that out there. I do believe your points are very valid and should certailnly be considered by anyone thinking fo doing this.

modiyooch
10-14-2009, 22:59
Congrats on being a 140 miles from completing your section hike of the AT.What state do you have left?

VT. I completed ME, NH & MA this summer. Jack has a good point about having to put on a pack after days of slackpacking. I typically start out backpacking and then convert to slackpacking.

Jester2000
10-15-2009, 11:01
Not to get all bandwagony, but I'd like to point out that I slacked for about a week in PA (thanks Fiddlehead!) and even taking that short a time off from my full load made carrying my full pack pretty brutal. It was like starting all over again.

lazy river road
10-15-2009, 11:27
i know this is off topic but a ? about slack packing...is this so a hiker can maxiumize their milage per day by not having to carry lots of supplies and making resupply easy....what would one's purpose be for slack packing instead of backpacking....good luck with you adventure it sounds like a lot of fun

Blissful
10-15-2009, 11:49
Not to get all bandwagony, but I'd like to point out that I slacked for about a week in PA (thanks Fiddlehead!) and even taking that short a time off from my full load made carrying my full pack pretty brutal. It was like starting all over again.

When I took two weeks off to nurse a bad ankle and put my backpack on again, it was tough stuff. I was near Mt Greylock, MA

Listen to what Jack says and those of us who have done it. Definitely go either all slacking or take a day slacking every once in a while (I did that a couple of times on my hike as do many hikers)

Blissful
10-15-2009, 11:51
i know this is off topic but a ? about slack packing...is this so a hiker can maxiumize their milage per day by not having to carry lots of supplies and making resupply easy....what would one's purpose be for slack packing instead of backpacking....good luck with you adventure it sounds like a lot of fun

I slacked a few times on my hike (that is carried a day pack with the day's supplies) to take a break from a backpack and enjoy the trail more, and yeah, you can make more miles that way as well. I also did it to recover from injury and illness.

Nearly Normal
10-15-2009, 12:05
Sounds like someone plans to hike their own hike and is looking for someone else like minded.
Cold beer, good chair, groceries to choose from, a big old coleman stove, and whatever you desire handy at the days beginning and end. Sweet!
Telling purist to mind their own business would rock.

Lone Wolf
10-15-2009, 12:11
Sounds like someone plans to hike their own hike and is looking for someone else like minded.
Cold beer, good chair, groceries to choose from, a big old coleman stove, and whatever you desire handy at the days beginning and end. Sweet!
Telling purist to mind their own business would rock.

i slackpacked a guy from Ma. to Me one year using his van. the times he had to backpack didn't bother him at all. it's really no biggie.

Marta
10-15-2009, 12:31
What you're planning on doing is pretty much the way Stumpknocker and Mrs. Gorp did a lot of the Trail in 2006. They had two cars, hiked in opposite directions, stayed in motels most nights. As I was hiking SOBO the conventional way, I ran into one or the other of them (usually Mrs. G.) over and over, hiking towards me. She said (in a tone close to complaining) that there was lots and lots of driving involved. So the time you save by hiking faster, slackpacking, you lose through the hours in the car. Not a criticism, just a comment.

I went through a slackpacking phase while I was hiking--and I wasn't driving myself, but being shuttled--and found it quite exhausting, and irritatingly inflexible. The daily showers were nice, though, as was the restaurant food.

Jester2000
10-15-2009, 13:44
. . . Telling purist to mind their own business would rock.

I haven't noticed any "purist" comments on here (i.e. someone saying that's not "thru-hiking" or some such nonsense). I have noticed practical suggestions on how to do what he wants to do, and caveats regarding what it's like to switch from slacking to carrying a pack from people who have done it. All good info to have when planning such a hike.

I suggest leaving it up to the original poster to decide when he's offended. That would rock.

A-Train
10-15-2009, 13:52
I see what some folks are saying about the slacking making the pack carrying harder, but say he starts his first backpack from Fontana to NewFound Gap. Isn't he gonna be in better shape after walking 160 miles without a pack than the person who is leaving Springer who has just gotten up from their work desk?

Obviously he won't be as "strong" as the thru-hikers who've been carrying their load for 2 weeks but it isn't a competition.

I think your idea sounds great. I wouldn't do it, but it sounds great.

A-Train
10-15-2009, 13:54
Additionally many people become and sustain injuries in the first few weeks due to being out of shape and carrying heavy packs. He would avoid much of this problem. Allowing ones body to adapt to the rigors of the trail without an extra 35 pounds sounds like a good plan.

warren doyle
10-15-2009, 14:19

The 2010 AT Circle Expedition will be my eighth (and probably last) group up the entire trail. We have completed 14 preparation days (out of 17). (9 of these days were comprised of 3 3-day backpacks of over 60 miles).

Although we are mostly day-hiking the 127 days, there is northing 'slack' about the level of commitment of the circle members (i.e.,our first rest day northbound is Hanover, NH).

We have enough people committed to the 2010 circle. The group is closed.

If there are folks out there who want to day hike the almost the whole trail, I suggest they attend the upcoming Appalachian Trail Institute session (soon to be called the Appalachian Trail Folk School) from Dec. 4-7th. Info to be found at my website below.

Happy trails!

warren doyle
10-15-2009, 14:24

You can day hike all of NH and Maine. The only real challenge is Pinkham Notch to Rt. 2 which could be broken down into two day hikes via the 19-Mile Brook Trail.

Nearly Normal
10-15-2009, 14:47
I haven't noticed any "purist" comments on here (i.e. someone saying that's not "thru-hiking" or some such nonsense). I have noticed practical suggestions on how to do what he wants to do, and caveats regarding what it's like to switch from slacking to carrying a pack from people who have done it. All good info to have when planning such a hike.

I suggest leaving it up to the original poster to decide when he's offended. That would rock.

HUH?
I think you almost made my point for me.

Jester2000
10-15-2009, 15:25
HUH?
I think you almost made my point for me.

Maybe. I think I misinterpreted your post. Upon reading it again it may be that you meant "telling purists on the trail to mind their own business." I (probably wrongly) took it to mean telling other posters on this thread to mind their own business.

If what you meant was the former I agree that it would, in fact, rock.

Jack Tarlin
10-15-2009, 17:14
Wow, I'm sorry if some folks were evidently troubled by my post.

I thought I made it perfectly clear that I respected what Symbol has planned and that my comments were in no way intended to be a criticism of what he
wanted to do.

It appears some folks missed that.

All I meant to say is that the first two weeks of a thru-hike are critical. This is where one gets one's head straight, where one decides if the Trail is where they want to be. It's also where people discover how much more difficult the trip is than what they first envisioned. And lastly, it's where people make enduring, often life-long friendships with other folks going thru the same experience.

If you start your thru-hike with a few weeks of slackpacking, you're going to miss out on a great deal of this, especially the social interaction with other hikers, and I think folks who have actually thru-hiked understand what I was trying to say.

Of course, those who haven't thru-hiked will also have their own perspective on this. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
10-15-2009, 17:18
Symbol, you'll do fine slackpacking from the start. having to to put on a pack for a few overnights is gonna be no big deal

Jack Tarlin
10-15-2009, 17:23
Symbol wasn't planning to slackpack "from the start". He was planning to slackpack all, or most of the Trail, and of course he'll do just fine. My comments weren't directed at him, they were instead directed at folks planning to slack the first few weeks of their thru-hikes, and then put on a full pack, which I think is a lousy idea.

Other folks are certainly welcome to other opinions.

Symbol
10-15-2009, 19:53
What you're planning on doing is pretty much the way Stumpknocker and Mrs. Gorp did a lot of the Trail in 2006. They had two cars, hiked in opposite directions, stayed in motels most nights. As I was hiking SOBO the conventional way, I ran into one or the other of them (usually Mrs. G.) over and over, hiking towards me. She said (in a tone close to complaining) that there was lots and lots of driving involved. So the time you save by hiking faster, slackpacking, you lose through the hours in the car. Not a criticism, just a comment.

I went through a slackpacking phase while I was hiking--and I wasn't driving myself, but being shuttled--and found it quite exhausting, and irritatingly inflexible. The daily showers were nice, though, as was the restaurant food.

Marta,

I totally agree with what Mrs. G told you.... all the driving really stinks. Especially driving around looking for hotels. I will not get caught up in that mess again. This is why I was talking about van camping and doing that at trailheads. I am not going to be searching for the daily showers or restauant meals either. I am cooking for myself and on a backpacking stove. This will cut down on lots of the driving and the time it takes to do all that.

Symbol
10-15-2009, 19:57
Symbol wasn't planning to slackpack "from the start". He was planning to slackpack all, or most of the Trail, and of course he'll do just fine. My comments weren't directed at him, they were instead directed at folks planning to slack the first few weeks of their thru-hikes, and then put on a full pack, which I think is a lousy idea.

You're right Jack. That is what I was proposing. I may certainly rethink this and have been tossing around other ideas... such as slacking in the beginning and just going the traditional way after awhile.

One thing I will be very careful of is not to isolate meyself from the thruhikers. I know from previous experience with slacking that you can do that. I also know from one summer of a long slackpacking adventure I becuase great friends with alot of thruhikers and saw them almost every day. I ended up giving many of them rides and met many of them in towns for beers and meals.

Symbol
10-15-2009, 19:58
I see what some folks are saying about the slacking making the pack carrying harder, but say he starts his first backpack from Fontana to NewFound Gap. Isn't he gonna be in better shape after walking 160 miles without a pack than the person who is leaving Springer who has just gotten up from their work desk?

Obviously he won't be as "strong" as the thru-hikers who've been carrying their load for 2 weeks but it isn't a competition.

I think your idea sounds great. I wouldn't do it, but it sounds great.

Additionally many people become and sustain injuries in the first few weeks due to being out of shape and carrying heavy packs. He would avoid much of this problem. Allowing ones body to adapt to the rigors of the trail without an extra 35 pounds sounds like a good plan.

BINGO!!

Exactly what I was thinking.

modiyooch
10-15-2009, 20:30
When I slackpack it's hard to compare notes with other hikers because I gauge the hike road crossing to road crossing whereas the backpacker refers to their hike based on the shelters.

also, IMO, it's not a physical challenge to return to carrying a pack after slackpacking, but a mental challenge. I don't slackpack to cover more ground. I slackpack for the comfort of sleeping, bathing, and climbing. It's ultra light.

I enjoy both methods.

ERNMAN
10-15-2009, 20:49
Have two cars...stay together and park one and drive north....hike back down and then overlap the parked car and then hike back down to the other one. Constantly overlapped the parked car and hike back to the other one. You will be doing a northbound hike, hiking southbound. I thought about this and wondered if anyone every did it that way. Its interesting. Good luck. I dont care how people hike...as long as there out there. Hike your own hike and be proud !!!!!!

Nearly Normal
10-15-2009, 22:25

What we're talking about is someone who is hiking their own hike. It's novel but it's theirs.

Jack Tarlin
10-15-2009, 22:37
Nearly Normal:

Instead of harping on this, why don't you actually read what I wrote.

I was at great pains to say at the outset that I respected Symbol's wish to hike any way he wanted. Nobody was tellinghim what to do or how he should hike.

And my advice in regards to starting a thru-hike without a backpack, and then putting one on after a few weeks, well once again I wasn't telling anyone how they should hike. I was merely commenting on what I'd personally witnessed from observing people who did this.

If you observed otherwise while on a thru-hike, feel free to tell us about it.

Nearly Normal
10-15-2009, 23:18
You know Jack,
You gotta lot a miles.
Good for you. I respect that.
I met you in Franklin and watched you close. I was surprised.
You look like someone who put his pants on the same way as everyone else. What is it do you want, exactly.

Nearly Normal
10-15-2009, 23:27
Maybe. I think I misinterpreted your post. Upon reading it again it may be that you meant "telling purists on the trail to mind their own business." I (probably wrongly) took it to mean telling other posters on this thread to mind their own business.

If what you meant was the former I agree that it would, in fact, rock.

No problem. :cool:

Jack Tarlin
10-15-2009, 23:32
Nearly Normal:

You ask, what do I want?

Well for starters it'd be nice if people actually took two minutes and read my posts before criticizing them.

For example, you've repeatedly admonished me about letting people hike their own hike.

Yet (and I've already pointed this out) if you look at my first post, the first thing I said was that my comments were NOT intended to be criticism of what Symbol was planning, and in fact, I went out of my way to wish him well with his trip.

How you got from this to "Stop telling people how to hike!!" escapes me.

And my comments about folks starting out with a long slackpack and only then putting on a full pack were not meant to lecture or criticize anyone, much less telling them how to hike. My comments were suggestions, and they were based on what I've personally observed from hiking the Southern A.T. 14 times in the past 15 years. I personally don't think starting a thru-hike with an extended slack is a particularly good idea. But (and I made a point of saying this), others are welcome to think.....and hike......differently.

In other words, people are welcome to hike however they wish.

But to get back to what you originally asked:

What do I want?

I want people to actually take 2 minutes and read what I actually write before jumping on it, and I'd really like it if people refrained from accusing me of saying things I neither said nor meant.

Nearly Normal
10-15-2009, 23:56
Nearly Normal:

You ask, what do I want?

Well for starters it'd be nice if people actually took two minutes and read my posts before criticizing them.

For example, you've repeatedly admonished me about letting people hike their own hike.

Yet (and I've already pointed this out) if you look at my first post, the first thing I said was that my comments were NOT intended to be criticism of what Symbol was planning, and in fact, I went out of my way to wish him well with his trip.

How you got from this to "Stop telling people how to hike!!" escapes me.

And my comments about folks starting out with a long slackpack and only then putting on a full pack were not meant to lecture or criticize anyone, much less telling them how to hike. My comments were suggestions, and they were based on what I've personally observed from hiking the Southern A.T. 14 times in the past 15 years. I personally don't think starting a thru-hike with an extended slack is a particularly good idea. But (and I made a point of saying this), others are welcome to think.....and hike......differently.

In other words, people are welcome to hike however they wish.

But to get back to what you originally asked:

What do I want?

I want people to actually take 2 minutes and read what I actually write before jumping on it, and I'd really like it if people refrained from accusing me of saying things I neither said nor meant.

Jack, you gotta quit reading between the lines.

The Weasel
10-16-2009, 11:34
Symbol:

What you initially proposed is what was classically known as "hiking", before backpacking seemed to take over the concept. It's known as "rambling" in Britain and similarly in other countries, where people go and just walk most of the day, covering a trail, and then sleep somewhere off-trail, and restart the next day. It's no big thing, and there are no "conventions". How you walk, and how it strengthens you, and how your mind works, is solely up to you, and the way you plan it; that some things have worked for others or not worked is something to keep in mind (and hence a lot of the advice above is worth considering) but not to slavishly follow: As you try things, you'll see what works and what doesn't. That's part of the adventure of hiking.

I rather like your concept, and hope you will give it a shot as described, and let others know how it worked. It's different, and that can be a very good thing.

TW

Jester2000
10-16-2009, 13:27
. . . You look like someone who put his pants on the same way as everyone else. . .

I don't think that's possible. I mean, have you seen Jack's pants?!?

ARambler
10-17-2009, 00:44
When I give this idea a little thought, I start out with some simple math.

I think the average time to drive from one trailhead to the next is about 45 minutes. The same driver will have to drive the second car at the end of the day, so he will be driving 1.5 hours a day. Note, the stronger hiker should drive all of the long hiking days, so the driving can balance two people hiking at different speeds. This increases the number of people that you are compatible with. If you are stronger, you drive most days.

At 1.5 hr driving for 133 days, you will be driving 200 hour over a thru hike. This is the equivalent of a couple weeks of hiking. Once you get in good enough shape to hike all day, the driving limits hiking time. I think you will also have more short days because the gap to the next road is so far. These short days could easily add another week. So, this slackpacking may actually take longer than a backpack. You may still find it more enjoyable, but you give up some of the enjoyable moments of hanging around camp and hostels with stinky hikers.

If you are not stopping in town, for local information, you will have to deal with some unpleasant surprises, like what happens when the nearest parking spot is 3 miles from the trailhead, or the dirt road to Deep Gap washes out.

The suggestion of doing this with a single car is really difficult, both hikers have to drive 1.5 hr a day. Doing this with an extra driver, the way the Doyle expeditions are set up really helps the hiker make more easier miles. I would not want to spend every night in town. However, most hikers seem to look forward to their town stops, and the point of slacking is to make it easier, so I would use slackpacking to increase the number of town nights. This is a minor variation, and you would be able to make a quick adjustment.
Rambler

modiyooch
10-17-2009, 13:03
I don't think Symbol is a newbie to the concept. I think he is just looking for a partner. If you need someone in Maine in July, I may no someone.

Symbol
10-20-2009, 06:31
I think I may have found someone to start the trail with... aournd mid-March

Gray Blazer
10-20-2009, 07:10
I met you in Franklin and watched you close. I was surprised.

You weren't seing too much after 11:00.:rolleyes:

Symbol
10-20-2009, 10:36
I think I may have found someone to start the trail with... around mid-March

^ Like I said above... I think I have found someone to start the trail with slackpacking. After excahanging just a few e-mails with this person, he seems to be like minded about the beginning of the trail.

My plan at this point is to start around mid-March and slackpack up to Fontana with this guy. Obviously there is no slacking through the Smokies. What I will do (and thanks to those who have pointed out how hard it would be to go up Shuckstack first day with pack) is in the days leading up to getting to Fontana, I will start carrying a backpack all day during the "slack". It won't be a full pack on day one but will add a bit of weight each day to get up to full pack weight a couple of days before hitting Fontana. (ease myself into it) We will then backpack through the Smokies and during that week will decide what will happen at the northern end.

That is my thoughts for now. We will see how this plays out in the next few weeks with this other hiking partner.

Thanks everyone for your advice and for commenting in this thread.

If any others out there are interested in slackpacking let me know.

modiyooch
10-20-2009, 20:34
1. My suggestion if you want to carry weight is to just load rocks, that way you can dump them as you feel. I think you'll be fine carrying a pack without a breaking in period.

2. I slacked 20+ from Fontana to Cades Cove.
I carried a pack from Cades Cove Clingsmans Dome, but I'm thinking it can be a slackpack. Keep in mind hat Cades Cove to Clingsmans Dome is a long drive. I did spend one night from Clingsman Dome to I40. I would have stayed twice but the shelters were so crowded I couldn't stand it. Two of my longest days hiking were in the Smokies.

Symbol
10-23-2009, 17:57
It is official... I have a partner! I think this guy is going to be a great fit.
If anyone else is interested in this... or starting out this way... post here and lets talk about it.

I will be in Georgia in early March.

Jester2000
10-23-2009, 17:58
It is official... I have a partner! I think this guy is going to be a great fit.
If anyone else is interested in this... or starting out this way... post here and lets talk about it.

Nice! Good luck!

Symbol
10-23-2009, 17:58
1. My suggestion if you want to carry weight is to just load rocks, that way you can dump them as you feel. I think you'll be fine carrying a pack without a breaking in period.

2. I slacked 20+ from Fontana to Cades Cove.
I carried a pack from Cades Cove Clingsmans Dome, but I'm thinking it can be a slackpack. Keep in mind hat Cades Cove to Clingsmans Dome is a long drive. I did spend one night from Clingsman Dome to I40. I would have stayed twice but the shelters were so crowded I couldn't stand it. Two of my longest days hiking were in the Smokies.

Hey Modi... I lived in Boone for a couple of years... I LOVE western NC!!!

It is one messy drive from Hickory to Boone though! I wonder what decade they will finish 321? :eek:

Symbol
10-23-2009, 17:59
Nice! Good luck!

Thanks Jester!

Hobbot
10-23-2009, 18:08

Excellent! See you somewhere on the trail :)

Cookerhiker
10-23-2009, 18:57
On my thruhike of the Long Trail in 2007, my hiking partner Northern Harrier and I used a 2-car shuttle for the northernmost 65 miles of the Trail (Smugglers Notch to Canada). You can read about it here (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=203585). Actually, the first part was a 2-day backpack but every subsequent section was a slackpack.

However, we wanted to hike together so we drove both cars to the northern point, left one car, drove to the southern end, hiked to the northern end, and went back to get the car. Obviously this approach took occupied more time each day but bottom line, it worked.

Good luck on your hike - hope things work well with your partner.

Symbol
10-24-2009, 10:16
Thanks for your input, Cooker. I too have tried the scenario you mentioned to facilitate hiking together. It is okay for an occasional thing but it is way too much driving and too time consuming for doing everyday for the whole AT.

spunky
10-24-2009, 13:14
Congratulations, Symbol! I'm glad you found a like minded guy to hike with.

Symbol
10-24-2009, 13:16
Thank you Spunky! I am very excited!

Symbol
11-13-2009, 13:04
Just checking in... plans are coming along nicely. I do have a committed partner. He is actually going to be working at one of the Georgia State Parks in March so we have a base camp to do GA and Southern NC out of. We will be wrking on this section druing March. He will be free After April 1 so our plan is to be as far as Fontana by then.

Can't believe we are less than 4 months away!

daylaandjasper
12-22-2009, 23:00
in 2001, there were two guys Bobba Louie and Shiloh that slackpacked most of the trail- they started slacking around Erwin and liked it so much they went home and got their cars and slacked the rest of the trail. They quickly got ahead of me at my avg pace with a pack. Some friends of mine also slacked almost all of NH and ME- they were older and had bad knees- they were able to pick what direction to hike- for example they hiked up Mt Washington both directions since the downhills killed them. they also avoided tricky sections like mahoosuc Notch on bad weather days. I think they split up the Pinkham Notch to US 2 section with the side trail. FWIW, I slacked that 21 mile section in one day- it was a long ass day, at least the last 3 miles are easy. I like to slackpack occasionally as a break but I wouldn't want to do it everyday.

takethisbread
12-26-2009, 11:07
I guess there are many ways to skin a cat.

It does eliminate one essential piece of a thru hike for me, (suffering).

Not for me, but God Bless you and have a blast. You'll likely pass me at some point.

Jeff
12-26-2009, 11:41
I am surprised no one has ever compiled a list of all the slackpacking opportunities along the entire trail....contacting every hostel, shuttler, taxi service, etc.:o

randyg45
12-26-2009, 11:49
Good points Jack. I certainly don't want to screw up anyone's thru hike.

There are all sorts of ways to look at slackpacking. You can still carry your pack while slacking... sure not as heavy. (you are going to carry a day pack anyways) Slacking does give one a chance to get some miles on their legs. You can gradually add more weight to your pack. you can do all sorts fo things to ease your way into a hike.

It seems to me that the difficulty (however great or small) of transitioning from slackpacking to carrying a full pack would be more mental than physical, having eased at least partially into shape... Blasting off out of shape with a full pack fully involves the mental aspect and maximizes the physical.

I am an old fart (58), and I've never done a thru; I am completely bemused by those who seem to think of hiking as a way to make friends. I have four generations of family; I have everything from 20 years worth of friendships in my small town to a couple friends from service I still communicate with to a deep friendship with the lady who was my first junior-high sweetheart . I dream of my thru in large part as blissful solitude...

Symbol
12-26-2009, 13:06
I am going to be leaving a bit later than I had hoped. I am shooting for April 1st now as I have to undergo a medical thing first. No one said being an old fart was easy.

See you out on the trail then!

spunky
12-26-2009, 13:36
Being "old" is a sign of many things... strength, courage, determination, health all mixed in with good luck.

Wear that Old Fart badge with pride and dignity!!!

You will be out there hiking sooner than most people think is appropriate!

Happy Trails...

Symbol
12-26-2009, 13:53
Badges? I don't need no stinkin badges! :)

Thanks Spunky. I sure hope so!

Sully5400
12-27-2009, 12:53
Please, please do the scooter. You could both ride on the scooter to the other trail head and hike bake to the van. I say this only because I want to see 2 bearded men on the same scooter, a-la Dumb and Dumber.

My roommate in Chapel Hill had a scooter, and sometimes we would double up on that thing. We're both big guys, 6'2", and I was playing football at the time. A pretty funny sight indeed, I wish I could have gotten a true look at it!

Anyways I can't really comment on this, but I do have a question -

what makes the slack so appealing? I understand the no pack thing, believe me that is great, but it seems like you would be losing a lot of flexibility. And I don't know if I'd want to camp at trailheads.

I know there was one place in NH (Lincoln?) where there was 22 miles of trail between the two roads that came into town, and it was a tough 22 miles. A lot of people slacked that so they could do it in one day, as opposed to the 1.5 as was standard for the whites.

Symbol
12-27-2009, 15:40
I think the whole idea of bringing a scooter was so one person could shuttle themselves.

The appeal of a slack is to carry a lighter pack and to be able to:

1) Eat better
2) Shower more often
3) sleep on a mattress in my van

There will be sections of traditional backpacing too... maybe not as long between re-supplies.

Camping at trailheads will have its problems... even sleeping in a van. I am sure there are trail heads that I will not sleep at but chose to find a close by campground or just get away from the trail head to some other remote spot. There is flexibility there. I think one gains flexibility in some regards and loses it in other regards.

It isn't for everyone, for sure. I would not try to talk anyone into doing it.

Day Hike
12-27-2009, 18:08
I'm doing roughly the same only using 2 cars myself and leap frogging,I'm doing it for the flexibility and to be able to eat right, plus its just fun, So have a good one to all that do the same, I personally hope too many people don't like it , or the parking lots will fill up

Sully5400
12-28-2009, 02:24
sounds great man! a hot shower is great, I agree, and I have definitely spent a few nights in a car.

Good luck with your adventure! I hope you can work out the logistics so you can get to the fun stuff!

Maddog
12-28-2009, 06:04
good luck symbol! see you on the trail!

Symbol
12-28-2009, 08:01
I'm doing roughly the same only using 2 cars myself and leap frogging,I'm doing it for the flexibility and to be able to eat right, plus its just fun, So have a good one to all that do the same, I personally hope too many people don't like it , or the parking lots will fill up

When is your start date?

Symbol
12-28-2009, 08:09
sounds great man! a hot shower is great, I agree, and I have definitely spent a few nights in a car.

Good luck with your adventure! I hope you can work out the logistics so you can get to the fun stuff!

Thanks Sully.

Without giving out too many details... my car is a mini van - no seats in the back, futon mattress on the floor. I have slept many nights in it this way. VERY comfortable.

The logistics really aren't that hard. Take things one day at a time, plan the night before where you will drop off the van for the next days hike.

The hardest part was finding another like minded person and I have found one. I really do like Day Hikes approach though... 1 person and 2 cars. That way one can be totally self reliant and you would for sure be hiking your own hike. Again, I have found what I believe to be a very like minded person to do this with and hopefully we will be a great team.

good luck symbol! see you on the trail!

Thanks droptop!

Tuney
12-28-2009, 10:45
[QUOTE=...I dream of my thru in large part as blissful solitude...[/QUOTE]

I'm with you the solitude is a big part of why I'm hiking SOBO besides the fact that I'll be hiking home.

Day Hike
12-28-2009, 11:08
I'm with the solitude thing too, People are great, but its really hard to find an exact partner, because of health and nutrition issues I can't live on snickers, plus I hate asking for rides when I can afford a car. I'm not staying in my car or the shelters, just where ever my feet get tired of doing what they were doing, thats where I'm stopping, hammock mainly, hotels , campgrounds, to be honest I have no plan whatsoever,I don't even know where I'm starting from. I should change my name to Capt Ron, "Sail till you hit Land , then ask where your at"

Symbol
12-28-2009, 11:20
I think it is cool to not have too many plans. I like the idea of one day at a time.

Symbol
01-27-2010, 08:47
Got the medical procedure behind me and now am on to healing and ramping up the training. Still on track for April 1st!!!

Tick tock!

Symbol
02-13-2010, 13:02
Closer and closer!

Looking forward to meeting the Class of 2010 out on the trail.

Symbol
02-19-2010, 13:28
Got a Droid so maybe I can post updates here every now and then.

Symbol
03-02-2010, 13:09
woo hoo.... it is March!!

To those that have started already... pack the snow down a bit for those of us to follow!

CrumbSnatcher
03-02-2010, 17:46
good luck Symbol, have a great hike!

Symbol
03-07-2010, 18:27
good luck Symbol, have a great hike!

Thanks Crumbsnatcher!

Two weeks from today I'll be in GA!

Symbol
03-17-2010, 19:12
Because of the road conditions (USFS 42), I will be backpacking through Neel's Gap. Just a few more days!!!!

Symbol
03-18-2010, 23:44
Headed out in the am for Georgia. Thanks for being friendly.

I hope to update my progress on here.

Symbol
03-22-2010, 15:37
My hiking partner and I are all set. We start hiking in the am.

BTW, the folks at the Hiker Hostel are awesome!!!

Symbol
03-22-2010, 15:37
My hiking partner and I are all set. We start hiking in the am.

BTW, the folks at the Hiker Hostel are awesome!!!