PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a NOBO in mid-April... see if we get along

SOBO 2011
10-13-2009, 12:22
Looking to see if anyone is planning to leave the same time as me and maybe getting to know a bit about eachother before we hit the trail at the same time. Just a thought anyway...

I am 26 grew up in Maine (Kennebunk) but now live in Washington just north of Seattle. I work at a local supermaket (Fred Meyer) and have held many jobs ranging from a bar doorman to a cook at Kirkwood Ski Resort in South Lake Tahoe. My loves are my puppy (dont worry he is not hiking with me), hiking/camping, and hockey. I dont drink or do anything else (reformed), and I am doing a Thru-hike for the sense of adventure and to get back to how things should be (without all the material distractions). After the hike I will be looking to go back to school to study culinary arts or comercial photography. I have done a few years in college but I was studying Eastern Religions and found out that I cant make a living with it. :(

So if you are already planning on leaveing sometime in mid-April and think that we could get along enough to make the fist part of the trip a bit more mangable... let me know.

Thanks for reading... :banana

SOBO 2011
10-13-2009, 12:28
Oh and a little bit about my thoughts for the trail... I am looking to complete in about 150 days and not hitting any resupply for about 6-7 days. It wont be a killer hike but I like to think I can keep a good pace. I am 6 feet 250 but looking to lose weight on the trail as well... not a fat 250 as I play hockey 3 times a week and run/bike/swim almost everyday.
Thanks Again....

Onimi
02-08-2010, 23:59
I too, am NOBO mid-April.

I have a number of things still up in the air as I made this decision last week.

One of those things is my exact starting date.

I am an experienced backpacker but I have never been out for more than a month at a stretch. This will be my first long trail.

I am excited beyond belief to undertake this truly life-long dream.

I will look for you. See you on the trail.

.jpg

The Flatulator
02-09-2010, 12:35
I will be leaving Springer on April 13 and headed back home to Maine via the scenic route. You shouldn't worry about finding someone to hike with; there will be many on the Trail and you will surely encounter others who share your same interests and pace. Part of the beauty of doing a thru-hike, is the people you will meet. There will be some you will bond with and hike with for days on end. There will be others you may spend a couple or more months with. You may not always hike together, but you will make plans to camp together at night so that you can share the same company. It's always a little unnerving, arriving at Amicalola, getting out of the vehicle and seeing it drive off while you stand there and think, "What did I just get myself into?!" As you make your way up the approach trail to Springer, you will ask yourself this many times, as I, for one, think one of the toughest sections in Georgia is the approach trail. It will take you a few weeks to get acclimated to the trials and tribulations of long distance hiking, but once you get into your rhythum, you will find others of a like mind. Approach your new journey with an open mind and remind yourself as to why you are there in the first place. Everything else will take care of itself. Have a great hike and maybe our paths will cross....Phil 4:13 from Maine