PDA

View Full Version : Best hip belt pouch

LimpsAlong
10-13-2009, 13:15
Whats the best hip belt pouch for a 2" hammerless .38? I had a modified Wally world camera case but the zipper broke last time out. I would rather get one that will last this time. Any suggestions?

take-a-knee
10-13-2009, 16:22
I just tried my wife's Ruger LCR, which is supposedly the same size as a 2'barreled J-frame S&W. It will NOT fit in a Granite Gear belt pouch, it WILL fit the pockets that come on a ULA Catalyst. If you are in the market for a new pack, that's what I'd reccomend.

bigcranky
10-13-2009, 17:40
The ULA hip belt pockets should hold a small revolver. The only downside is that you have to be wearing the pack to have it accessible.

I would look for a small black fanny (waist) pack that doesn't look anything like a concealed carry pack. I have a small Eagle Creek waist pack that would work -- it holds a large-ish camera right now. Some padding would be good -- I have seen many such packs in my local outfitter. Put it on with the pack in front, then put your backpack on. The waist pack doesn't interfere with the pack's hip belt if you do it right.

LimpsAlong
10-13-2009, 18:01
I just tried my wife's Ruger LCR, which is supposedly the same size as a 2'barreled J-frame S&W. It will NOT fit in a Granite Gear belt pouch, it WILL fit the pockets that come on a ULA Catalyst. If you are in the market for a new pack, that's what I'd reccomend.
I'm not in the market for a new pack and hate to hear the Granite gear pouch is too small.
Mine is a Taurus 85 which is approx the same size as the Ruger so it won't fit.
I guess I'll have to go the modified camera pouch again.
Thanks anyway.

pjbarr
10-13-2009, 18:05
wasn't expecting this thread to involve firearms, but as for pockets in general, the ULA hipbelt pockets are pretty versatile

wrongway_08
10-13-2009, 18:23
A .38? I would just pocket it. This way you dont need to worry if there is a kid at camp and the pack is off you while hitting the head. Camera in one pocket, .38 in the other - balanced.

If not, i vote the ULA also, plenty of room and you could just use a light peice of foam (1/8" thick 4"x3") fold it once in the pocket and that'll hide its shape. Plus it will also be easy to pull out because the foam will keep the zippers apart when you go to get it out.

Old Grouse
10-13-2009, 18:57
If you're going with a pocket carry, put it in a pocket holster for safety and to keep it clean and more lint-free. With practice you can draw the revolver while leaving the holster in your pocket.

take-a-knee
10-13-2009, 22:00
If you're going with a pocket carry, put it in a pocket holster for safety and to keep it clean and more lint-free. With practice you can draw the revolver while leaving the holster in your pocket.

Yes, the Desantis Nemesis nylon pocket holster is what I use. It rides in my ULA belt pocket but can be discretely moved to my cargo pants if need be.

skinewmexico
10-14-2009, 01:17
Gossamer Gear, and I think MLD make sized, hip belt pockets.

LimpsAlong
10-14-2009, 11:35
Pocket is out. Too tight in top pocket and flops around too much in cargo pocket while hiking. I DO put it in my pocket in camp. I never leave a firearm unattended.
I'll check out the belt pockets mentioned.
Thanks guys

LimpsAlong
10-14-2009, 11:47
Gossamer Gear, and I think MLD make sized, hip belt pockets.
1 Gossamer gear pouch on the way.
Thanks for the help.

take-a-knee
10-14-2009, 13:21
Pocket is out. Too tight in top pocket and flops around too much in cargo pocket while hiking. I DO put it in my pocket in camp. I never leave a firearm unattended.
I'll check out the belt pockets mentioned.
Thanks guys

You should still get the pocket holster to go with it.

jcramin
10-16-2009, 09:47
Whats the best hip belt pouch for a 2" hammerless .38? I had a modified Wally world camera case but the zipper broke last time out. I would rather get one that will last this time. Any suggestions?

I am using a Cheap Wally World fanny pack that I found in the camping section. Had my wife cut off the belt and sewed belt loops on it and slide it on my backpacks belt.

It holds a Ruger SP101 .357mag 2-1/4 barrel just fine.

J

skinewmexico
10-16-2009, 15:16
1 Gossamer gear pouch on the way.
Thanks for the help.

Did you get a Gorilla to put it on too?