PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Helium 15 degree vs. Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15 degree?

ShelterLeopard
10-13-2009, 13:43
So which (in your opinion) is the better bag? I need a comfortable down bag, that is light, compressible, basically, everything. And should I get the women's bag? Or the regular? (I'm an average sized female, 5' 5") This bag is for my February start in GA, switching it out in Harpers Ferry for a lighter bag. (I'm also bringing a liner)

So, which one? Marmot Hydrogen, or MH Phantom?

saimyoji
10-13-2009, 13:49
i use the marmot pinnacle (15*) and have had it down to around 5*. 3oz. heavier than the Helium

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm/MA1899

Spokes
10-13-2009, 13:52
I've had a Marmot Helium for several years now and really have enjoyed it (cold sleeper here). I carried it on this years thru and never once got cold. I took a silk liner just in case but never used it.

As far as sizing goes I tend to buy my bags a bit larger for extra wiggle room. It's not fun feeling cramped inside a mummy bag. You'll have enough of that in crowded shelters next year.......

ShelterLeopard
10-13-2009, 13:56
So, perhaps the Marmot has won out already? I'll wait a day or two before leaping to conclusions though. We shall see!

Johnny Thunder
10-13-2009, 13:57
I have the Phantom. It's good but if I could spend the money again I'd buy the Helium (or another like it). My summer bag is the Atom and I feel like it's warmer for the fill weight than the Phantom (even though there's almost twice as much in the Phantom). Also, the Phantom has a 1/2 length zipper which is supper annoying when it gets unseasonably warm or if you want to share the bag with a neighbor. Also, the lining on the Phantom is oddly stiff and slick and doesn't feel inviting until after you've washed it a few times.

Ummm...I think that's about it.

As far as the mass-produced 800 fill bags go, the Marmots are somehow special. Mountain Hardware, though good, seem ordinary by comparison.

Jester2000
10-13-2009, 13:58
I would go with the Phantom 15, and I would go with the women's version, unless you're so in love with the men's color that you can't help yourself. We have these in the store and the women's regular is 8" shorter than the men's regular (70" vs. 78") and would fit you better.

Plus there's extra insulation in the torso and footbox.

mlkelley
10-13-2009, 14:01
While in my tent, on a prolite4, my Helium has taken me down to into the lower teens quite comfortably(and lower while wearing layers). I love it. I have no personal experience with the MH bags, but can't say as I've heard any bad reports.

Jester2000
10-13-2009, 14:13
I thnk maybe Johnny's post is bringing me around. The Phantom does, in fact, have a shorter zipper (3/4 legth, not 1/2), which has never bothered me, but might bother others. If you're planning on switching out to a different bag this might not be an issue.

The helium is also slightly lighter, which is probably the function of a slightly better quality down. (850 vs. 800). If you were only going to go for one bag, maybe the Helium would be the choice. If you're switching out, though, maybe the Phantom. Have you gotten in both bags yet to see which is more comfortable for you? For the women's regular versions, the Phantom is longer, but the shoulder girth is narrower.

skinewmexico
10-13-2009, 15:29
I just consider Marmot to be better quality than MH, especially now that Columbia owns MH. And I'm not just saying that because MH refused to warranty my non-waterproof Silk Conduit jacket. That had only been worn 5 times, and twice in rain. Well, maybe that affects my opinion.

garlic08
10-13-2009, 17:05
I have the Helium and absolutely love it. I have over 5000 trail miles on mine. I have used it down into the single digits in blowing snow and have actually slept comfortably, not just survival mode. I think the 15F rating is conservative.

My wife has a womens Helium and it's her best bag ever, too. She's a very cold sleeper and has been comfortable in low 20s and has never tried it colder.

I used a MH Phantom 45 as a summer bag last year and it was a good bag for the cost, so nothing against MH.

Wags
10-13-2009, 17:16
i personally don't think you'll go wrong with either bag. both are made by excellent companies and share many similar characteristics. i've had some excellent service by marmot on some gear and a few people here love their heliums. MH doesn't ever get any love here, but i use a different MH bag (piute) from time-to-time and really like it. i find it comfy against my bare skin, zipper doesn't snag, and it's true to its rating without supplimental clothing.

i'd lean towards whichever one i could find cheaper

the 1/2 zipper would be a deal breaker for me, honestly

Jester2000
10-13-2009, 17:30
the 1/2 zipper would be a deal breaker for me, honestly

It's a 3/4 zipper. As there's rarely a woman around who wants to zip her sleeping bag to mine, it's not that much of an issue (I know that's difficult to believe). Unzipping the bag 3/4 of the way is still plenty for me when it's warm out. Any warmer and I'd be sleeping on top of the bag anyway.

WILLIAM HAYES
10-13-2009, 17:49
helium is my choice have used one for years in some very nasty cold weather -the helium is better quality in my judgement get the EQ it works better in wet weather which you will definately experience on the AT

pjbarr
10-13-2009, 18:03
hey shelterleopard, all marmot down bags are on sale at REI right now 25% off!

Mocs123
10-13-2009, 18:05
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CBrad%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoht ml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Lucky for you both bags (the men’s versions at least) have been tested using EN 13537 standards. These expensive tests use thermal manikins to rate the warmth of sleeping bags. Not that that means they will work at those temps for you as everyone sleeps different, but it does help you compare two similar bags to each other. They show 3 ratings:
<o:p> </o:p>
The Comfort Rating: The lowest temperature that the “average” Woman can sleep comfortably. (Women tend to sleep colder than men)
The Lower Limit Rating: The lowest temperature that the “average” Man can sleep comfortably.
The Extreme Rating: The lowest temperature that an “average” woman can use the bag without bodily harm (i.e. frostbite)
Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15 (Men’s version, women’s version not tested)
Men’s Rating: 15* F
Women’s Rating: 26*F
20 ounces of 800 fill down (for a regular 6’ bag) (Women’s version has 20 ounces of down for the 70” length.)
Marmot Helium (Men’s version)
Men’s Rating 16.3*F
Women’s Rating 27.7*F
19.5 ounces of 850 fill down (for a regular 6’ bag)
Marmot Women’s Helium
Men’s Rating 18*F
Women’s Rating 28.9* F
19 ounces of 850 fill down
As a average sized woman you would probably do better with a Woman’s Bag if for no other reason than there would be less internal space to heat up in a Woman’s bag than a longer, wider, Men’s Bag. I don’t have a Marmot Bag, but I do have a Mountain Hardwear Phantom 0 and two Western Mountaineering Bags. The hood on the Mountain Hardwear is very nice particularly if you sleep on your back. One other thing to note is the Mountain Hardwear bag has a draft collar, and I don’t think the Marmot does, at least the earlier version of the Helieum did not and it doesn’t look like the new one does either from the picture. That probably has a lot to do with why the Phantom tested a few degrees warmer than the Helium as otherwise they are very similar bags.

NitroSteel
10-13-2009, 18:08
I love all of my Mountain Hardwear stuff, but I think that the MH sleeping bag you are looking at only comes in a half-length zipper, and most of the time (for me at least), that would keep me way too warm. Plus, I think the MH bags fit a bit more snug also.

I've heard they are great on temp ratings, but I love my Western Mountaineering sleeping bags for overall snag-free full length zippers, light weight and awesome down. Hard to find them on sale, but I've bought two brand new ones that way...

Jester2000
10-13-2009, 19:15
I love all of my Mountain Hardwear stuff, but I think that the MH sleeping bag you are looking at only comes in a half-length zipper. . .

I'll post for the third time that it's a 3/4 legth zipper, and if someone brings it up again I'll figure you're all just trying to annoy me.

Wags
10-13-2009, 20:06
1/2 zipper

MintakaCat
10-13-2009, 21:16
I have a MH 32 degree bag and a MH 0 degree bag and love both of them. I also have a couple of Marmot jackets that are excellent. So, its a tought call for me. I think either would be fine.

Reid
10-13-2009, 22:21
Both are great companies. I've never had either of those bags but If I had to choose just based on my experiences I'd go with the marmot. That would also be a skewed opinion becuase I've had more marmot bags than Mtn hardwear bags.

Dogwood
10-13-2009, 22:25
UMM, Shelter Leopard, so is it Marmot Helium or Marmot Hydrogen? The thread title is written as Marmot Helium as one of your sleeping bag choices, but then you write Marmot Hydrogen in the expanded question.

Mocs123
10-14-2009, 00:26
The Mountain Hardwear bags are narrower than Marmot bags. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your size. Smaller people will benifit from the reduced space to heat in the Mountain Hardwear bags, but Larger people will find them too confining and prefer the Marmot fit. Both are good companies and make good bags. I have a Mountain Hardwear Phantom bag, and the zip is more like a 2/3 zip.

NitroSteel
10-14-2009, 02:08
Whatever the zipper length works out to be in "fractions", the full length zipper on the new Marmot's seems to make more sense. Even on alot of the late fall trips it is too hot in my 32 degree WM bag for the zipper to be zipped. My friend who uses a 40 degree marmot bag usually leaves his completely unzipped also until it dips below 40. Furthermore the 59" in the MH bag that I was in seemed very tight all the way down to the foot box, too tight for me, particularly when coupled with the zipper length issue...

Jester2000
10-14-2009, 09:49
1/2 zipper

I have issues with people who post "LOL" online, because they seldom are. But I did, in fact, laugh out loud.

ShelterLeopard
10-14-2009, 10:24
Sorry, Marmot HELIUM! Whoops...

ShelterLeopard
10-14-2009, 10:33
Jester, you're funny...

Everyone, thanks for the posts. I think I'll probably go with the Marmot, and since there seems to be much less difference between the Marmot men's and women's (as opposed to the MH men's and women's), I'll probably go for whatever is less expensive.

And as for that rei sale, I'm looking at the page right now and getting excited! I was going to put the bag on my christmas list, but maybe I'll just buy it. Thanks again everyone for your input!

ShelterLeopard
10-14-2009, 10:41
This is weird- I responded to everyone's posts, and my posts are now gone. ????? But not deleted... Today is not my day- we'll see if this shows up.

ShelterLeopard
10-14-2009, 10:41
And they're back....

nox
10-14-2009, 10:46
shelter, you might want to call rei before you go there. I bought a tent sunday and they were out of footprints and the quarterdome i bought was the last they had. It was an hour drive for me and would have been mad at myself if i had returned empty handed. I think they will hold a bag for you if they are running low on stock.

ShelterLeopard
10-14-2009, 11:24
Thanks nox- I was planning on just ordering it online (I think it's free shipping over $100), but instead I put the bag on my Christmas list.

And I think I may go over to Port Clinton or Princeton to an outdoor store to try it out in person. But I'll call first, good suggestion.

Blissful
10-14-2009, 11:33
I like marmot very much. Have 3 of thier bags. But for 15 degree, I love my Montbell Ul donwhugger.

ShelterLeopard
10-14-2009, 11:50
I did think of the Montbell hugger too, but I think I'll end up with the Marmot.

Dogwood
10-14-2009, 12:12
Backcountry has/had the Helium Womens Reg version for $295 with free shipping. Great price for this bag! Even if either REI or Backcountry don't currently have this bag in stock in the size you want if they are getting the same yr and model back in stock later on they will usually honor their quoted prices. Contact them if this happens so you can lock in the price.

ShelterLeopard
10-14-2009, 12:34
Thanks Dogwood- great tip!

XCskiNYC
10-14-2009, 17:02
i use the marmot pinnacle (15*) and have had it down to around 5*. 3oz. heavier than the Helium

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm/MA1899

Some of the reviews on REI of the Pinnacle are saying it sleeps warm and some mention that the waterproofing causes moisture from perspiration to build up inside the bag in warmer conditions.

What would be the upper temperature limit at which a warm (male) sleeper could use the Pinnacle? Is there some kind of separate zipper for the foot area? Can the bag be opened up wide for ventilation or to sleep on it opened up?

jrCranstonRI
05-18-2010, 08:05
I love my MH clothes/gear and my Marmot clothes/gear. I have the Phantom though. I know that it was lighter, but not sure what the final compelling reason was - maybe because I got an online deal for ~$300? Anyway, I love it - especially the 3/4 length zipper (which has since been upgraded to full-length). Anyway, I hope you got the bag (Marmot) you were asking for Christmas. I'm sure you'll love it just as much. Enjoy the hike!

skinewmexico
05-19-2010, 00:30
Zombie post! Done it myself....got so caught up in the thread, didn't realize it was.....old!

STICK
05-19-2010, 12:27
Yes, this is an old thread.....but I had to chime in just to say that my Helium should be here around noon tomorrow! (I am like a kid the day before Christmas!)

So, ShelterLeopard, which one did you go with?

Old Grouse
05-19-2010, 12:31
Yes, this is an old thread.....but I had to chime in just to say that my Helium should be here around noon tomorrow! (I am like a kid the day before Christmas!)

So, ShelterLeopard, which one did you go with?

You may have to wait a while for an answer - she's gone with it on her thru.

STICK
05-19-2010, 12:50
Awesome! I did not realize. Trail journal?

cyanroleman
05-27-2010, 22:39
I own the MH Phantom 15 degree and I absolutely love it! I've never actually been down to anything really below 40 degrees, here in socal, but I've used it a lot and I highly recommend it. The bag is so so comfortable, it gets you excited to get into it. I've had some feathers come out of it though, keep in mind I got it on Ebay. But none have come out recently... I like it so much I recently purchased the Phantom jacket, another great buy!

cyanroleman
05-27-2010, 22:40
oops :/ old thread, well enjoy my input anyways!