PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's XPG Ultralight Tent

klpicktown
10-13-2009, 13:49
Has anyone ever gave this tent a whirl (the 2-person)? or any other cabelas tents for that matter?
I have narrowed down a list of a few others (all under $250) but have a chance to pick this up from a buddy and just curious what ya think?

LimpsAlong
10-13-2009, 15:15
Looks OK. 5.5 lbs is kinda heavy though. From what I've read Kelty makes the tents for Cabelas. If this is true it is a well made tent as I had a Kelty Gunnison 2. Great tent just too heavy for me.

ChinMusic
10-13-2009, 15:34
I'm a Cabelas fan in general but I wouldn't buy much of their stuff for backpacking. It is just not designed with weight as a consideration.

There are many other tent manufacturers to look at LONG before Cabelas.

grayfox
10-13-2009, 17:42
If your buddy is offering you a very good deal and the tent fits your needs OK. I drive by a Cabela's retail store nearly every day and get to see which tents they pitch outside hold up to the weather. This tent was still standing when some more expensive ones had failed. I thought about buying one but it is just too heavy for my solo trips and too small when I hike with a friend. When Cabela's uses the word 'ultralight' in the name of a product they mean that it is not made of waxed canvas.

A Eureka Backcountry is a nice tent and comparable to the XPG.

Pacific Tortuga
10-13-2009, 17:51
I bought the XPG one person version for my hike. A friend wanted to hike with me the first week, so I needed to look for another tent, 2 person.
I'm sure I would have used and liked the Cabela.
With a second person along, I threw caution (i thought, to the wind) and went with the hshires Rainbow 2. I was a double wall devote but fell deep in like with the single wall Rainbow 2. More than worth the Xtra bucks I spent.

NitroSteel
10-13-2009, 18:04
I've got a Cabelas Alaskan Guide Series tent and by backpacking standards is extremely heavy. It is clearly made by Eureka. The Eureka label is actually on the inside floor protector, but no where else. Bomber of a tent, but very heavy.

klpicktown
10-13-2009, 19:20
I was thinking the same thing about the weight (and i was just going to borrow it from him....and after talking with the boss (wife) she said just buy one).... so here is the rest of my list.
Tarptent Moment
MSR Hubba
LLBean Microlight solo

thoughts........

Wise Old Owl
10-13-2009, 19:51
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0031780516763a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=XPG+Ultralight+Tent&sort=all&Go.y=11&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&Go.x=14&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

The tent is clearly using thicker nylon materials and is bomb proof. There is a tent test that they use where they point a fire hose at it, to see if water can get through... and I am sure it would hold up. But that system is half a pound heavier than other tents in its class. Ok to split it between two people - not so great for the single person.

NitroSteel
10-13-2009, 20:03
My vote would be for the MSR.

skinewmexico
10-13-2009, 23:04
Tarptent Moment. Talk about a well thought out tent.

ChinMusic
10-13-2009, 23:24
When Cabela's uses the word 'ultralight' in the name of a product they mean that it is not made of waxed canvas.

Great line.....