PDA

View Full Version : Late November hike in N. GA

STICK
10-13-2009, 17:43
Ok, so I'm thinking Neels Gap to Dicks Creek Gap-ish over Thanksgiving day thru that Sunday.
This is a thought I am spinning around in my head right now.
I'm not sure if work, kids, weather or gear will allow it but I've got it going inside my head just in case!
Work: I'm on call Thanksgiving day but I'm trying to give that away. I'm not sure about my fiances work schedule surrounding these dates just yet. She is slowly starting a new job trying to get away from her current one. Her current job has call to so that's still up in the air!
I would love to take my son on a hiking trip during this time but he's not ready for this kind of trip. So I may take him somewhere closer to home where the terrain is easier and the temps won't be potentially as bad! The bad part is that I only have a 2 man tent so I have to decide if it will be me and my fiance or me and my son! I also have to see if he will be with me or his momma during this time! Then there's my daughter....
Weather and gear are kind of one and the same. I simply have to find out if my gear, particularly the sleep system, will take me to the possible lows that I could expect for late November in the N. GA mountains! I have been trying out my sleep system in the cooler weather we have been having, but that's only been in the high 40s! I'm pretty sure that the temps will be well below that during this time!
So there are a lot of things that I have to sort out, and I may not even get to make it, but I'm going to try!
So, with this in mind, what can I expect? What are some tips that I could use? How about weather? I know that the weather cannot be predicted, but what are some norms for this time of year? Is there much rain during this time of year?
Anyway, ill post back some more, but any comments would be sweet! Thanks!

pjbarr
10-13-2009, 17:52
late november up high could be really cold, or it might be mild. rain is a crapshoot. you may not need it when it actually comes, but you should be prepared with winter gear enough to be comfortable in below freezing temps, particularly at night.

pjbarr
10-13-2009, 17:53
by the way, hope you have a blast! i'm jealous of your trip.

STICK
10-13-2009, 18:45
Pj, thanks for the comment, but we still not sure if we can!
I think the weather will be the biggest threat. Like I said, I'm personaly testing my current gear in any low temps I can get to get my personal rating out of it! I think my sleep systemm will be a big one to be sure about!
I do worry about rain to! I know that it can affect things drastically so I want to be as thorough with my gear as I can be. I understand it has limits so I'm oushing them every chance I can!
I really hope that everything works out so that we can go, but I do want to live through it! :)
Ill bet its beautiful through there at that time...

Ghosthiker
10-13-2009, 20:13
What kind of bag & pad do you have? There are some ways to lower temp ratings somewhat.

bigben
10-13-2009, 21:07
Might want to wear some blaze orange.

Trailweaver
10-13-2009, 21:15
Last time I went at Thanksgiving (two days before) it snowed that night and was a chilly 26 degrees. This was right around Hawk Mt. Be prepared for cold and if you don't need it. . . lucky you. If you do, it could make all the difference.

STICK
10-13-2009, 22:12
I have a NF Aleutian bag and a REI 1.5 Lite core pad. I was also planning of carrying a ccf pad.
I'm very sure that my sleeping bag is very overated! This is why I'm testing it.
We will be inside a kelty grand mesa 2 tent.
I cannot afford to make any extra purchases because we are planning our wedding and Christmas time is nearly upon us. So if I feel like my current gear would not stand up to the weather, then ill just have to wait. And there is a good possibility that it won't be enough.

Thanks for the orange reminder. I had read about it a while back but it slipped my mind (I'm not a hunter so I don't really keep up with the seasons either!)

tagg
10-14-2009, 11:37
STICK, glad to see you're planning another trip. I'm actually back on the trail this weekend, starting where I left in Deep Gap and just making the short trip to Winding Stair Gap. It's supposed to be cold, so I'll let you know what I learn this time since I know we are equally inexperienced. I'm going to be in a NF Cat's Meow that is rated for 35* and the temps are supposed to be lower than that, so we'll see...
I don't remember how old you said your son is, but I found the stretch between Neel Gap and Dick's Creek to be a little less demanding than some of the other parts of GA. I left Neel Gap that Tuesday morning and was at the Dick's Creek parking area for lunch on Thursday (I actually got some trail magic there - a bunch of rice krispy treats and some salami from some guys heading south). Of course, November = shorter days = fewer miles.

STICK
10-14-2009, 17:23
Tagg, great to hear from you man! Awsome to hear that your back out there! Its supposed to be cool here sp I'd assume it would be cool there! It seems that I've heard some good things about the Cats Meow, espically over the other NF bags. I hope you have a great trip! Is your friend going to be with you or are you going solo? You heading out Friday?
I don't think I will have my son out on the AT right now. Inexpierence on my part and his. Plus lack of gear for him.
Its going to be hard for us to make it out though I think. I just want to be back out there!

Ghosthiker
10-14-2009, 17:54
I'd say use the CCF pad. Regardless of the rating of a bag, you lose it on the bottom where it is compressed by your weight.

Dances with Mice
10-14-2009, 19:03
Stick, I've often spent a month in Corinth MS one week at a time, and have done that too many times through the years at that little manufacturing facility up on Kendrick Rd. But fine dining establishments like the Hawg Parlor, Rib Shack and Kenny's helped me survive. Seriously, Corinth is a BBQ hotspot. I even tried a slug burger. Once.

OK, November weather can be iffy but chances are really good that you'll be fine. Oct / Nov are my favorite times to get out there. And you'll have lots of bail-out options along the way and even on the FS roads traffic from hunters will be pretty steady. I'd risk it with your girl / kid. Go for it if possible.