PDA

View Full Version : Pa in January

pahiker15909
10-13-2009, 18:50
Looking to do a cold weather hike of the Pa section in January. Anyone interested??

nox
10-13-2009, 23:26
Where at? How long? I might be game.

5Ultimate
10-14-2009, 01:40
I may be interested, depends what's going on in my life.

El Toro '94
10-14-2009, 04:28
Going to miss me by about a month. I'll be there in mid December trying not to get shot at during deer season. Sorry.

pahiker15909
10-14-2009, 21:40
It all depends. Looking to go sobo, but depends on what if anybody comes up with. I am open for any suggestions from those who want to go.:banana

Donnie
10-14-2009, 22:19
I would be game but I don't think I quite have the cold weather gear that would be necessary for PA winters. Although I would still consider it if I have a free schedule. If I could go, it would be an excuse to acquire more gear and who doesn't like that?

Blissful
10-15-2009, 11:53
Looks like they're in for a good snow this weekend. Should be an interesting winter. :)

pahiker15909
10-15-2009, 15:38
It's been snowing on I80 all day, getting me excited for whats to come. As far as cold weather gear, it all depends on how cold you get.

Pickleodeon
10-15-2009, 15:50
I might be able to hike then, depending on if I'm working or not. How long?

Keep in mind the PA Ruck is at the end of January at Pine Grove Furnace State Park.

wrongway_08
10-15-2009, 18:20
I would be up for it, let me know the dates. There is always the Pennmar section - good section.

Just gotta make sure I have off those days.

sheepdog
10-15-2009, 19:20
might be sasquatch out there inna winner time

El Toro '94
10-16-2009, 01:48
might be sasquatch out there inna winner time

He can get his own dang jerky. He can't have mine

sasquatch2014
10-16-2009, 07:25
He can get his own dang jerky. He can't have mine

Well when I am hiking with others I always share them.:D

Pa in Jan might be up for it we will have to see what I have going work wise. I had hoped for an end of Sept hike that turned into a Oct hike which is looking more like maybe possibly a Nov hike which will most likely convert to a Dec hike but with the holidays is probably going to be a Jan hike in PA. Thus is my life. Well on the bight side if we get lots of snow it will hide all the PA rocks. Some of the Gaps should be lots of fun with a bit of snow and ice.

Peanut
10-16-2009, 15:50
I might be interested...depends on when. :)

DGG
10-16-2009, 21:12
I may be interested, too. Let me know when you decide on dates & places.

Dennis

emerald
10-17-2009, 08:57
Looks like they're in for a good snow this weekend. Should be an interesting winter. :)

Some Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey communities saw snow on October 16. State College recorded 4.5 inches and more may be on the way. See Northeast Fall Snowstorm Breaks Records in New York, Pa. (http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/northeast-fall-snowstorm-breaks-records-in-ny-pa-1.1527283) for more information and a photo.

Local weather prognosticators talk of snow north of Kittatinny Ridge and the ridge itself may be white for a short time too. I've been unable to obtain a forecast from our most reliable source as local grundsow are unavailable for comment.

1azarus
10-17-2009, 09:35
...would be interested in anywhere between port clinton and pine grove furnace state park... either hiking in the same direction, or if number of days or pace is an issue, getting a car in place for each of us, and hiking in opposite directions to our cars.

JF2CBR
10-17-2009, 09:42
So game for a winter PA hike! Sounds like there is a lot of interest in it too. I also like the PenMar section, or anywhere around there. Keep us informed as to when/where you want to do this!

pahiker15909
10-22-2009, 08:50
I am still working loose ends and have not gotten to think much about it(dang work). I open for anything, if we plan a "group" hike we will all need to decide where to start. I would suggest just figure

pahiker15909
10-22-2009, 08:53
out a starting point and everyone can go as far as they prefer. Just an idea.

Nasty Dog Virus
10-22-2009, 09:09
I may be in too. Depends on dates and what's going on. If we have an ice storm like last year, some sections may be impassable without crampons...I learned the hard way last year when I couldn't get up Cove Mtn in Feb.

BlazeWalker
10-24-2009, 21:00
I'm interested too depending on dates, due to work of course. I'm considering doing some serious winter hikes this season in short sections. Try to keep this up so it doesn't get buried...

Two Tents
10-24-2009, 21:58
I usually do a yearly trip to the Catskills or the Daks in early Feb. So depending on the date for your hike I may be interested. It would be nice to be gone for three weeks winter hiking. Sweet!

emerald
10-24-2009, 22:10
Read about Pennsylvania's hunting seasons (http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=460&q=161003) and visit our sign gallery (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=28523) before you go. Check out ATC's Hunting and the A.T. (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805497/k.C545/Hunting_and_the_AT.htm#hikerawareness) too (scroll up for more information).

People who think I overreact should read what I read in today's Reading Eagle. It will be posted elsewhere as soon as the link is available and I can post it.

simon
10-24-2009, 23:00
I'm a hiker and a deer hunter. I also read the aritcle in the Reading Eagle. An accident happened and it's a shame. My opinion is accidents do happen and you do your best to prevent them. Won't keep me out of the woods!

emerald
10-24-2009, 23:19
It shouldn't. I expect more details will be made available and maybe some good will come of it. If nothing else, it reminds us improbable events happen every day to real people in this case less than two miles from where I live.

I don't know anyone involved with the incident, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn someone who posts here does.

wrongway_08
10-26-2009, 15:17
No big deal , crap happens. Still safer in the woods, then on the streets.

I would be interested, depends on the dates. Post up please :) !

Cookerhiker
10-26-2009, 19:16
......Keep in mind the PA Ruck is at the end of January at Pine Grove Furnace State Park.

If I decide to attend the PA Ruck, I'll probably take a few days beforehand and hike to it either north from PenMar (or Harpers Ferry) or south from Duncannon.

The Solemates
10-26-2009, 20:46
i'm doing some PA hiking thanksgiving week (not hiking on thanksgiving day) if anyone is interested in joining me.

ERNMAN
10-27-2009, 20:10
I might be interested...

The Solemates
10-27-2009, 21:35
I might be interested...

sectioning the Mid State Trail, not the AT, the Sat/Sun until Wed before thanksgiving. still interested?

harryfred
10-28-2009, 02:11
I might be interested depending on when and where. Can we finish at the Doyle:sun I have Sun. And Mon. off and I have vac. days I can take. I hope the kids get the message I want a SVEA 123 and not a new tower for my computer for Christmas:D:banana

George
10-28-2009, 04:04
I am considering pawling to harpers ferry starting @ nov 6

The Solemates
10-28-2009, 11:00
I might be interested depending on when and where. Can we finish at the Doyle:sun I have Sun. And Mon. off and I have vac. days I can take. I hope the kids get the message I want a SVEA 123 and not a new tower for my computer for Christmas:D:banana

not doing the AT, but you are certainly invited to hike with us along the MST

ki0eh
10-28-2009, 11:25
I've finished MST hikes at the Doyle. :D

(Duncannon is on the road back for me, from about 2/3 of the MST...)

harryfred
10-28-2009, 12:03
not doing the AT, but you are certainly invited to hike with us along the MST
Thanks but I'd like to stay a little closer to home in colder weather. Still trying different gear ideas. Depending on weather I plan on doing Penn Marr to Harper's Ferry, Nov 22-24 and maybe after Thanksgiving do an overnighter, Boiling springs to Duncannon. The original thread was for a trip in January and I want to see how I do in late Nov. If all goes well I might try going over the ridge to Caledonia around Christmas.

pahiker15909
10-28-2009, 12:59
I am personally looking to start at "Water Gap" and work sobo, ending at the Md line. I plan on leaving my front door January 2nd and start my hike on the 3rd. We can set up camp dates as we go or ahead of time. I also plan on a climb of Mt Washington, Vt in December so I am not very sure how far I will make it on the trail, more interested in the snow acclimation than anything. Just looking to hav a good time and possibly make new friends.

BlazeWalker
10-28-2009, 17:39
pahiker

Is starting on Jan 3rd a solid date?

harryfred
10-29-2009, 01:16
A little more than I can take the time off for. I watch this thread and maybe as you get down my way I'll go along toward the MD line.

JoshStover
10-29-2009, 02:08
I might just have to tag-a-long.

LaxLarry18
11-03-2009, 03:11
I think I would be interested in this. Keep it posted.

pahiker15909
11-07-2009, 00:57
As of right now the 3rd is a set date. I'm not saying it can't change but confident it will not. I thank everybody for the interest and look forward to meet some of you on the trail.

ki0eh
11-07-2009, 09:04
Right now I have posted on another website a weekend trip the last weekend of Jan, likely from Pine Grove Furnace to Boiling Springs or thereabouts. Understand it would coincide with the PA Ruck, but we'll be hiking not talking this time. Probably won't coincide with the OP's section hike.

Saffirre8
11-17-2009, 20:59
i am intrested, depending on the dates. Let me know when you have it all worked out

horicon
11-18-2009, 12:39
Are you talking about day trips or overnites??? Might be interested in day trips.

ShelterLeopard
11-18-2009, 13:24
Looking to do a cold weather hike of the Pa section in January. Anyone interested??

Ha! I just posted a thread on this (for my pre thru hike cold weather gear shakedown). I'll be doing a two day section mid January. You're welcome to join me (and a bunch of other WBers) if you like.

Depending on how long your section will be, I'd like to come!

quiet paul
11-24-2009, 14:50
I would be interested. Let me know what you decide. I'm new to this website not exactly sure how it works.!!!

Saffirre8
11-24-2009, 15:08
I am thinking about taking some nice hikes at SNP on Dec 5 & 6, anyone intrested in tagging along??

ShelterLeopard
11-24-2009, 15:55
Saffire, you'll probably get more responses to that if you start a new thread- people reading this one are probably from the PA/NJ area mostly, so if you post "Anyone want to hike in SNP Dec 5 & 6", you may be more succesful.

emerald
11-24-2009, 17:30
I was wondering here in the Land of the Pennsylvania Dutch if you knew from shlepping. You're right, you shouldn't expect to catch any fish here in the wrong thread regardless of the weather.

ShelterLeopard
11-24-2009, 17:57
Yep, and several people wanted to let me know what it meant (in case I didn't know). So I figured I'd state it.

emerald
11-24-2009, 18:03
I figured you were smart enough to understand.:-?:)

ShelterLeopard
11-24-2009, 18:10
:eek: :D .

emerald
11-24-2009, 18:14
;) The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

sasquatch2014
11-24-2009, 20:23
We will have to see what work has in store for me right now I have one deal on the hook. I have one deal that i would gladly take off into the frozen woods over having to deal with. I a, wanting to be able to take a 7 to 10 day stretch in march to head north from springer so I have to balance the two we will see. Keep posting plans so I can figure out if I can catch you for some or all of the planned trip.

Lost_Soul
11-30-2009, 10:01
Let me know... should be back up to speed by then. (just had another round of abdominal surgery... ugghhh)

Monello
12-01-2009, 01:19
This sounds like something I might be interested in doing.

ShelterLeopard
12-01-2009, 09:04
Abdominal surgery- that sounds like fun!

Lost_Soul
12-01-2009, 22:43
Hey ShLep... <g>

Oh yea... alot of fun. While others were getting their toenails painted I was in the hospital for a couple of weeks staving off infection after I got a tear in the intestine. (the eat fiber thing isn't something to ignore). Had an abscess drained twice then, too. In Feb I went in to have the bad section and abscess removed. (about 8 inches of intestine, and the abscess was close to grapefruit sized) Then, they didn't sew me up properly so I got two hernias. (one at the top, one at the bottom of the incision) Did some battling with some other things in my life at the same time. Waited for someone to be decent. Never happened. Ended up taking my life back. Also got back to alot of the stuff I've missed out on over the years 'cause I was working too much. Still want to go white water rafting. (tried getting a few from work in on it in '94.) Though, the doc says I have another month or so in this binder I have to wear. (ugghhh) So, it's gonna be a while longer.
Anyway... this is supposed to be about hiking. Even if I can't make it I hope you guys take alot of photos and post 'em. Would appreciate it.

ShelterLeopard
12-01-2009, 23:09
That sounds awful. But, hopefully you'll be up and hiking soon! Just plan and live vicariously through yourself for now. I hope you're well soon!

Monello
12-02-2009, 00:08
Hey ShLep... <G>

Oh yea... alot of fun. While others were getting their toenails painted I was in the hospital for a couple of weeks staving off infection after I got a tear in the intestine. (the eat fiber thing isn't something to ignore). Had an abscess drained twice then, too. In Feb I went in to have the bad section and abscess removed. (about 8 inches of intestine, and the abscess was close to grapefruit sized) Then, they didn't sew me up properly so I got two hernias. (one at the top, one at the bottom of the incision) Did some battling with some other things in my life at the same time. Waited for someone to be decent. Never happened. Ended up taking my life back. Also got back to alot of the stuff I've missed out on over the years 'cause I was working too much. Still want to go white water rafting. (tried getting a few from work in on it in '94.) Though, the doc says I have another month or so in this binder I have to wear. (ugghhh) So, it's gonna be a while longer.
Anyway... this is supposed to be about hiking. Even if I can't make it I hope you guys take alot of photos and post 'em. Would appreciate it.
WOW. I wish you a speedy recovery. You're too young to have all those health issues.

Lost_Soul
12-02-2009, 16:23
Thanks guys. Appreciate it. Stronger than expected.

Chenango
12-03-2009, 18:11
Depending on my schedule and how my knee recoup is doing, I might be interested. In October I tore my medial miniscus :eek: on the Cat Rocks in NY (and had surgery 2 weeks ago). I started on the stationary bike on monday and I am feeling fairly good. Time will tell.

I will keep following this thread.

sasquatch2014
12-03-2009, 19:10
Depending on my schedule and how my knee recoup is doing, I might be interested. In October I tore my medial miniscus :eek: on the Cat Rocks in NY (and had surgery 2 weeks ago). I started on the stationary bike on monday and I am feeling fairly good. Time will tell.

I will keep following this thread.

Sorry to hear that. Didn't know you were down for a while. Keep in touch I have the southern part of NJ still to knock out as well. May try to get it done in Jan but it may be put off until later. You know me all up in the air until the end.

Tinker
12-03-2009, 19:34
Sorry to hear that. Didn't know you were down for a while. Keep in touch I have the southern part of NJ still to knock out as well. May try to get it done in Jan but it may be put off until later. You know me all up in the air until the end.

Do I sense a POF in the making??? :D:banana
'Squatch knows I have that section to do, too. If the snow gets deep enough the rocks won't be such a problem.
Rest up and get better Chenango. Better days are coming. :sun

sasquatch2014
12-03-2009, 22:03
Do I sense a POF in the making??? :D:banana
'Squatch knows I have that section to do, too. If the snow gets deep enough the rocks won't be such a problem.
Rest up and get better Chenango. Better days are coming. :sun

There is enough snow the trip down into the Water Gap can be really quick. You have seen my pack there is always room for a toboggan. :banana

whcobbs
12-05-2009, 12:26
PAhiker15909

About 5 years ago I attempted a thru-hike from Port Clinton to the PA ruck at IronMasters Mansion Pine Grove. I had to bail at highway (?227), any way, past Peters Mtn, because of a GI upset. Weather was 0 F at night and about a foot on snow on the ridges. I like to finish this hike if we have winter weather (not rain). I haven't checked ruck dates yet this year.

Walt

Tinker
12-06-2009, 15:24
There is enough snow the trip down into the Water Gap can be really quick. You have seen my pack there is always room for a toboggan. :banana

A blue foam ccf pad works great (dual purpose, too!). Just watch the rocks :eek:.

Watch the weather and set a date (Jan. would be better than Dec. - Money's real tight).