PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used a MSR Hubba Hubba for a thru, or otherwise?

SOBO 2011
10-13-2009, 19:24
Interested in buying a MSR HUBBA HUBBA for a planned thru-hike in April 2010...has anyone used one - or heard of one being used for a thru-hike? Thanks for the info ~:D

Jack Tarlin
10-13-2009, 19:27
Haven't used it on a thru, but I've hiked hundreds of miles on the A.T. with the Hubba Hubba, and am very happy with it. It's spacious, comfortable, goes up in a hurry, is durable, and the free-standing aspect comes in handy, too. Of course all sorts of folks will come on shortly and tell you it's too heavy, but that's for YOU to decide. Personally, I think it's a great tent.

Foyt20
10-13-2009, 19:44
Haven't used it on a thru, but I've hiked hundreds of miles on the A.T. with the Hubba Hubba, and am very happy with it. It's spacious, comfortable, goes up in a hurry, is durable, and the free-standing aspect comes in handy, too. Of course all sorts of folks will come on shortly and tell you it's too heavy, but that's for YOU to decide. Personally, I think it's a great tent.

hahahaha Jack, we have been on this site for too long :D That was the first thing I thought.

SOBO 2011
10-13-2009, 21:47
Thanks ... i know its heavy but im a big guy... 6 feet 250 ... and would deal with the weight to get the room...

Just a Hiker
10-13-2009, 21:57
Me and another hiker traded tents for the night recently (We were bored)......he had the MSR Hubba and I have the Sierra Designs Iota. I was very impressed with the headroom that the MSR Hubba provides along with how quickly it goes up. If I didn't love my Iota so much, I would get a Hubba for sure. By the way, the Sierra Designs Iota is great for big hikers as well....

Gray Blazer
10-13-2009, 23:35
I just started using the Hubba Hubba this past summer. It beats the rig I was carrying for years. It's supposed to be for two. I think they would have to be very close friends if not lovers. For me and my dog it works well. I wanted a setup for mountaintops that was double walled. My Hubba fits the bill. Some don't like the color (bad for stealthing) but I've heard of someone dying theirs brown.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/220.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=35777&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6217)

Many Walks
10-13-2009, 23:43
We used the Hubba Hubba on our thru and it did a great job for us. I'm 6'1" and had plenty of length and overall it had plenty of room for two people plus gear. We brought 3'x3' (since changed to 3'x4') pieces of Tyvek to place at the doors under the vestibules to store wet gear, water bottles, boots, etc. I also like to use the Tyvek to set things on while we pack and unpack the gear to keep things clean in the pack. We had a gear loft that was handy for hiking clothes. The built in mesh pocket at the head end was handy to store glasses, flashlight, knife, etc for easy access. The tent was durable, quick and easy to set up and pack. The free standing design was great in a lot of areas and it held up well in some really nasty weather. It might be a bit on the heavy side, but the comfort and convenience was well worth it to . Hope this helps. Enjoy your hike!

Many Walks
10-13-2009, 23:47
Oops, fat fingered the post. Was going to say the comfort and convenience was well worth it to stay out for 5 mos. Again, enjoy your hike!

summermike
10-13-2009, 23:56
I'm 6' and was about 240 when I started my thru if I remember correctly. Used a Hubba (single) and loved it. You can pack a lot of stuff inside and the vestibule adds even more room.

It's fast and easy to set up. When it rains you can set up the rainfly first, put your gear under it, then finish setting up the tent. The rainfly doesn't reach the ground so you get some splashup into the tent during a hard rain. You can reduce or eliminate it by packing dead leaves around the base of the tent. The upside is great ventilation.

SOBO 2011
10-14-2009, 18:19
Just bought the HUBBA HUBBA.. cant wait to tru it out!

Blissful
10-14-2009, 20:02
We used it the second half of our hike. Loved it. Worked well.

Cabin Fever
10-14-2009, 21:34
I am a Hubba Hubba man also. Fits me (6'2", 215) and the pups! I like to use the vestibules for cooking and storing wet or stinky gear out of the rain.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_S36urPhgmkM/SfNjDTH2dvI/AAAAAAAAEhQ/yH5gqU0PIlY/s640/IMG_2596.JPG

Montana AT05
10-16-2009, 11:16
I am one of those lightweighters who stares with envy when another backpacker pops up their Hubba. Easy to set up, well designed, spacious. Very nice tent. If I wanted to carry the weight, I'd carry a Hubba.

If you're a tent guy, I suspect you'll like the Hubba. I do own a Seedhouse 2 person tent. It's very nice as well. I used it on a cross country bicycle trip (but not as often as I used cheap motels).

sherrill
10-16-2009, 12:10
My wife and I use one - ditto to everything above.

One thing I enjoy about it is the ability to set up just the fly. Comes in handy if you just want a quick shelter, but also gives you the option of setting up the tent underneath in the rain.

Jack Tarlin
10-16-2009, 17:31
In my experience, most one-person tents are way too small for many folks, especially if, like me, you find yourself significantly larger than you were a few years ago.

And most tents that are marketed as "two person" in all truth are aimed at two folks who are VERY close, and they better not be two good-sized people either.

I decided a long time ago to pay the weight penalty and carry a two person tent on my travels. There's plenty of room inside, my pack is in there too, away from critters and the elements, and if necessary, there's room for a player to be named later.

I see people all the time with itty bitty tents or God forbid, bivvies. If it works for them, fine, but they'd drive me nuts. Remember, a third of your thru-hike is gonna be spent in your tent or shelter, so make sure you're comfortable with the one you pick.

SOBO 2011
10-16-2009, 17:46
Thanks to all who replied.... decided to buy and just waiting on the shipping! :-)

pafarmboy
01-14-2010, 20:33
Shout out to the Hubba Hubba people for great customer service. Broke the plastic crossmember piece on the pole setup (my fault, torqued it the wrong way). Sent them an email asking how to get it repaired. Their response.....ship it to us and we'll fix it for you. No charge.

Two weeks later I had it back good as new. Nice to know some companies will still stand by their products. Kudos to MSR.

Mrs Baggins
01-14-2010, 21:13
Hubby and I each have a HUBBA (he snores and I can set up away from him and use earplugs). We LOVE LOVE LOVE our Hubbas! Fast and easy to set up and take down. Don't like the patch of ground quite as well after you've set up? Just pick it up and move it. Easy. View the stars on a clear night and still have plenty of protection from bugs and crawling critters. Put up the rain fly and stay dry and comfy when it's raining. We use the MSR footprint (sold separately). I'm small so I still have plenty of room to keep my pack inside at my feet (food bag hung up of course). Hubby is 6' tall and can easily sit up and dress in comfort. We wouldn't trade them for anything smaller or lighter.

NashvilleBiscuit
01-19-2010, 15:54
I used a Hubba for when I hike alone. I am 6' 2" and feel like it has plenty of room. When I bring my dog along I have a Hubba Hubba. Again I think it is a great tent and very spacious for the 2 of us. I also like having vestibules on both sides. That way my gear can go on one side and be protected from the weather and I can go in and out on the otherside.