PDA

View Full Version : Looks like cool weather is touching some areas

babbage
10-13-2009, 20:34
Is anyone else gonna drop everything and go out for a few days to get in on some of this early cool stuff?
I think I will find some windy bald that has some elevation and camp on it. Then do a few days of hiking.
I just love the cold. I get sad when it ends. I miss it all during the warm months, and am elated when it starts again.
I guess the 20* bag will get an early run this year. I might even take some gloves this trip.

Now, where should I go? :-?

Slo-go'en
10-13-2009, 21:42
I woke up to see snow on the ground this morning. A bit of suprise this early in the season down in the valley here. I'm going up Mt Adams in a couple of weeks. Could be full winter conditions, looked like it was still snowing up high tonight.

gravy4601
10-13-2009, 21:42
i second the cold weather hiking and camping just cant stay cool enough in the summer while hiking sometimes as for a place to go i'd love to see mt. rogers in two ft of snow

slowandlow
10-14-2009, 10:42
I will be heading up this weekend to either Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock or Standing Indian area.

Marta
10-14-2009, 12:30
Yeah, baby. Time to get out and play in the cold. Maybe there will be some snow at the higher elevations!

nox
10-14-2009, 14:40
I was going to go out for a few night this weekend and test out my new bag in cooler temps. Now I get to test it out while it rains all stinkin weekend... yay just my luck.

Chaco Taco
10-14-2009, 16:19
Its cold and wet here in Asheville. We need a break from this rain. Yesterday was nice up on Mt Pisgah but we get maybe one or two days a week of sun. Now the temps have dropped and the winds are up.

babbage
10-14-2009, 19:52
I will have 5 days starting on Friday. I am gonna head over to Black Balsam and then work my way up to Cold Mountain. I guess the jeep road is still open to Ivestor - so I will expect some crowds. The elevation will be good.
I considered going over to the ridge line up above Slickrock and hiking over to Bob Stratton Bald, but I would llike to get that extra 2000' of elevation at Pisgah.

Blissful
10-14-2009, 19:59
I was out in it to section and enjoy the colors for 3 days, but had to come home early due to foot problems. Was going to be out five. Sigh. :(

MintakaCat
10-15-2009, 04:55
The weather forecast for this weekend here in GA keeps looking better and better. The low for Franklin on Sunday is around 31 degrees, that means the low in the Standing Indian area will be in the low to mid 20s. Or, to put it another way, that's about 9 degrees below the normal low for this time of year.

Yes, a cool, crisp Fall weekend is coming and I need to be out there in it!

Egads
10-15-2009, 06:27
Snow in the forecast in GSMNP Saturday :)

faarside
10-15-2009, 10:42
I was going to go out for a few night this weekend and test out my new bag in cooler temps. Now I get to test it out while it rains all stinkin weekend... yay just my luck.

yup... Just my luck that I planned a section, nobo, thru NY for this weekend... A nor-easter is heading in, and R*A*I*N - probably heavy R*A*I*N is expected, along with some of the white stuff in higher elevations. The white stuff I don't mind at all, but I hate making/breaking camp in the rain! :eek:

Guess I'll stay positive though - even a 'bad' day of hiking is faar better than a 'good' day of work! ;)

babbage
10-19-2009, 09:33

Check out this dudes cold weather suit. He had the biggest grin on his face. I like the Foo-man-Choo sticking out at his chin. He had just walked out of the Art Loeb down below Black Balsam. He must have been camped somewhere above 5200' on Saturday night. It would have been a good time to have a Tigger suit - temps stayed sub-freezing the whole day and the wind was brutal that night. Not sure what the night temps were - we were at 5200' in a spot that only got some of the wind and few of the hard gusts, but we could hear the freight train sounding winds blasting through the trees at higher elevations. The thermometer in the tent read 29* just after the sun went down. After the sun went down and the wind started I did not get back out of the tent. Brrrr.
It was good to feel the cold again. Ivestor Gap was really cold and windy for October weather. It was 28* with a 20 mph wind and gusts over that speed on Saturday morning. We set camp in the wind - right in the center of the bald at Ivestor. We woke to find the windward side of the tent fly was covered in a sheet of ice and one hiking pole had an inch of ice built up on it. Packs, zippers, tent webbing pulls, and anything that was exposed to the wind was ice covered. Saturday gave light snow all day and we woke up to a few inches of fresh snowfall on Sunday morning.
We were passed by more than one group that got a winter surprise and did not enjoy it. We counted 8 pairs of running shoes heading back to the car -- trip over. Two guys that did not have gloves and were wearing wet cotton and Nikes had spent their Saturday morning negotiating the Narrows. I have never seen such red, useless hands in my life.
One old guy that had left his tent at Shining Gap said he did not intend to go back for it -- until he realized that he had left his wallet, also. He did not look happy. He had on black work boots, jeans, cotton flannel, and a clear rain jacket that only had one working button. Maybe he carried out his tent so someone else would not have to - but I doubt it.

DiamondDoug
10-19-2009, 16:27
Some light snow and heavy frost at 5000 feet on Big Bald just north of Sam's Gap in NC/TN Sunday morning. Going up that way with RAT tomorrow to do some year end trail maintenance. Supposed to be 70 tomorrow, lol.

Erin
10-20-2009, 00:24
Holy cow, it November here for Ocotber. Rainy and cold. Since our girls hike is set for Noveber 7 weekend, maybe we will have nice October weather then. ?
We have heard here in the midwest ( and those woooly worms bear it out) we are in for a cold, cold winter. I believe it.

harryfred
10-20-2009, 01:27
Yeah Baby! I love the colder weather. It is a beautiful crisp cool night in cntr PA and I want to be out there sooo bad. Planing on a trip Thanksgiving week ether before or after the holiday. Still not decided Three days thru Maryland or just head out the front door and head for Duncannon.

Egads
10-20-2009, 06:13
Frost in Atlanta last two mornings :sun