PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a sleeping bag???

lazy river road
10-14-2009, 09:21
So ive been doing a lot of research on sleeping bags (my next piece of gear i plan on buying) I am E2E the LT in late june through mid july. Im looking for a 20 degree bag (ill also have the yeti for an UQ) but i have no ideah how to pick one...I thought deciding on a pack and a shelter were tough but a bag seems so much harder due to the plethera of sleeping bags out their....what makes a good bag....I am going to get a down bag that is already decided....does it just come down to how much you want to spend on fill and weight and want a good loft...Marmot seems like a good brand to choose from...MH also looks like a good brand...but can some one point me in a good direction....what are some key features I should be looking for...??? Thx WB....:D

tammons
10-14-2009, 09:47
So ive been doing a lot of research on sleeping bags (my next piece of gear i plan on buying) I am E2E the LT in late june through mid july. Im looking for a 20 degree bag (ill also have the yeti for an UQ) but i have no ideah how to pick one...I thought deciding on a pack and a shelter were tough but a bag seems so much harder due to the plethera of sleeping bags out their....what makes a good bag....I am going to get a down bag that is already decided....does it just come down to how much you want to spend on fill and weight and want a good loft...Marmot seems like a good brand to choose from...MH also looks like a good brand...but can some one point me in a good direction....what are some key features I should be looking for...??? Thx WB....:D

Look for a quality 2 pound bag.

>what makes a good bag -
800+ quality down and DWR nylon from a reputable manufacture.

>does it just come down to how much you want to spend on fill and >weight and want a good loft

Lower fill down like 650 fill power is cheaper. Down mixed with feathers is cheaper still.

You really need to go into a store and climb into a few bags but if you cant, just buy from a store with a good return policy and send them back until you find one you like.

A cheap 20dF down bag is the campmor. $130. It seems to be the popular cheap down bag.

My general consensus on sleeping bag design in general is, if you sleep on your back and dont move, a tightish or normal mummy bag is fine. If you are a side sleeper and or a flip flopper you need more room.

The Montbell spiral #1 is a nice bag but the zipper does not go past the knees on a long, and I dont like that.

The montbell UL SS 800 fill bags are very nice and roomy and warm.
Solid ratings

So to wrap it up, look for light as you can afford, 800 fill down, DWR shell, zipper baffle, neck collar, length, girth, zipper length, and last zipper side.

Zipper length IMO should go almost all the way down for warmer weather.

Zipper side is usually the opposite of you handing, IE right handed, left zipper. That said some bags only come in right. I prefer left because my tent opens on the left side.

Hope this helps

tammons
10-14-2009, 09:53
That should say 2# or under.
A top quality UL 20dF bag should weigh less than 2#.

Also there are a lot of good manuf other than the ones I mentioned, WM, MH, marmot.

I personally do not care for the Big agnes empty bottom sleeping bags, but they work for some people.

Also quilts are a good option if you are a flip flopper.
Nanutuk being very high quality.

Lyle
10-14-2009, 09:54
I'm assuming you plan to be hanging? You could go with a top quilt as well. Probably would be lighter, plus some of them can be used as an in-camp jacket too.

I just looked, and the Yeti is only a 2/3 length underquilt. Not quite sure where you are thinking of going with your gear combination. Do you plan on using a pad for the rest of your bottom insulation? Or did I mis-read your intention to hammock all together? If so, then an underquilt won't offer much insulation for ground sleeping.

Maybe give us a little more info about what your intentions are. I'll be watching for your clarification, you have plenty of time to dial in your gear without a rush.

Jayboflavin04
10-14-2009, 10:38
Have you looked at Western Mountaineering yet......your gonna pay for it. I would bet money on this. It will be extremely hard to find one person that will give a WM bag a negative review.

double d
10-14-2009, 10:46
the campmor 20 degree bag is a good sleeping bag for the money. I would suggest that you only buy a down made sleeping bag, they have much more positives then negatives. Also, they compress better then non-down bags.

lazy river road
10-14-2009, 10:51
Lyle im in no rush to buy gear..im takeing a lot of time to plan this almost feel like im planning to much.....im in the process of making a gear list and aquireing gear over time....I do plan on hammocking...I plan on using a partial pad to insert in the foot box of the BB....Id like to have a sleeping bag instead of a TQ so when me and my GF go on weekend trips toogether and we use our tent ill have a good bag...she is gonna get the same bag as me so we can zip toogether (if its a option on the bag I get then its a plus if not o well not the most important thing but I know how cute)...the adverage low for that time of year on the LT is in the 40's. So im figuring with a 2/3 UQ....a CCF pad for my feet and a warm bag ill be all right...I wont ever camp if it's below 20 bbbrrrr to cold for me...Lyle does this give you more insight on kinda what im looking for....I have an REI close by mabey ill go cuddle up in some of their bags on the floor to get a feel for a few good ideah

brooklynkayak
10-14-2009, 12:06
Some people consider it a gimmick, but I recommend a bag that converts into a down vest, like the Feathered Friends Wren series or Exped Wallcreeper .

If you only wear a down jacket around camp, your bag can serve that purpose.

Lyle
10-14-2009, 12:09
Ok, yeah, got the picture now - I'm kinda slow. :D

Good advice so far, I went through upgrading all my bags this past year and decided on Western Mountaineering for summer and shoulder season - LOVE them both, very true to rating with just silk longjohns or silk liner (keeps your bag cleaner). I got the Caribou for summer, Ultralite for shoulder.

For winter I went with a Montbell Super Stretch, UL #0 (pay attention if you look at Montbell, they have UL and non-UL versions of their bags, I didn't realize this initially). Haven't had an opportunity to actually test it out yet - coming soon. I chose it for two reasons, first, I found a good deal for it on eBay, second I like that it stretches, so if I wear extra layers, it shouldn't compress the down. It's comfortable to lay in, and appears to be great construction. Some folks do question how long the "stretchy" will last. Reasonable concern.

You're right, there are lots of great bags to choose from, and even more very good bags. While others say to get a larger bag if you toss and turn a lot, I haven't found this particularly necessary. I can turn pretty easily in a fairly tight bag, or can just turn the bag with me. Has never been a problem. The one annoyance I have with a tight bag is that it's sometimes a bit tuougher to get your arms out without unzipping if you want to reach for something, but I've learned to accept this.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!! I would like to hike the LT sometime in the not too distant future myself.

Lyle
10-14-2009, 12:16
I have an REI close by mabey ill go cuddle up in some of their bags on the floor to get a feel for a few good ideah

Probably a good idea. even if you don't buy there, pay attention to the dimensions of the bags and how comfortable they are, even write them down. You can later compare these dimensions to some you find online to make your choice.

I generally like REI brand equipment. I had an REI sub-kilo for a while. Good bag, NOT true to temp rating tho'. Was rated at 20*, closer to 30* in my opinion. Not a reason to avoid the bag, just something to be aware of when making your decision.

WM, Montbell, Feathered Friends, some Marmots and a few others have a reputation for fairly accurate temp ratings. Other manufacturers like North Face, Mountain Hardware, SlumberJack, REI, etc. maybe not so much. Not that these are bad or undependable bags, just more optimistic than realistic in their ratings.

1azarus
10-14-2009, 18:17
i usually look for my socks. sometimes my hat.

brooklynkayak
10-14-2009, 19:26
While others say to get a larger bag if you toss and turn a lot, I haven't found this particularly necessary. I can turn pretty easily in a fairly tight bag, or can just turn the bag with me. Has never been a problem.

I highly agree on this. I get claustrophobic, but I find that I roll all over in a reasonably tight bag without feeling constrained. A bag that is too loose will not be as warm because of all the extra air your body has to heat up.
Too small and you may be compressing the down.

sheepdog
10-14-2009, 19:27

NitroSteel
10-14-2009, 19:27
I say Marmot or Western Mountaineering - - it's really hard to find a negative review on either. Of course there are other good bags. Whatever you do, be sure to go ahead and get a good quality down bag - so that you are sure to be warm, and a waterproof compression sack so that there is no chance it can get wet.

Marmot, WM, MH are all good and seem to be true to their temperature rating- many others are not. A full length SNAGLESS zipper is important to me and many others. I have a 10 degree and a 30 degree WM bag and feel that they cover everything for me pretty well. As someone mentioned 6 or 8 times on another thread, remember the MH bags only have a 1/2 length zipper (hehehe).

tammons
10-14-2009, 19:35
A bag that is too loose will not be as warm because of all the extra air your body has to heat up.
Too small and you may be compressing the down.

That does not really apply to the Montbell SS bags. Even though they are wide they are huggers.

NitroSteel
10-14-2009, 19:51
How long will the "huggers" continue to "hug"?

Seems like a good idea, I just didn't buy one because I wasn't sure how long the bag would last.

tammons
10-14-2009, 21:08
Well who knows really. I would guess a good 10-20 years.

By then they will have invented some 2 oz -20dF waterproof breathable bag with a built in pad, gorundsheet and tarp.

I was going to say 12 oz, but Tim Marshall has already built a cuben down quilt that weighs 11 oz and is very warm.

20-30 years from now, I will be too old to care anyway. If it lasts me 10-20 I will be happy and when the hugger stops hugging I will convert it to a quilt.

As it is I have a -40dF snowlion bag that is over 30 years old and I have no idea what to do with it. NEver use it any more.

Doooglas
10-15-2009, 07:59
Well who knows really. I would guess a good 10-20 years.

By then they will have invented some 2 oz -20dF waterproof breathable bag with a built in pad, gorundsheet and tarp.

I was going to say 12 oz, but Tim Marshall has already built a cuben down quilt that weighs 11 oz and is very warm.

20-30 years from now, I will be too old to care anyway. If it lasts me 10-20 I will be happy and when the hugger stops hugging I will convert it to a quilt.

As it is I have a -40dF snowlion bag that is over 30 years old and I have no idea what to do with it. NEver use it any more.

It wont make any difference what they come up with. Down worship will continue forever.:p
I'll take a synthetic and tote the extra lb or 1.5 # any day.;)
I even carry a real spoon and fork !:rolleyes:

lazy river road
10-15-2009, 08:51
wow this is all great information.....I am def going to get down...(ill just have to take care not to get it wet)...I was looking at the marmot sawtooth and liked that line of bags.....im not really looking to spend over $200 so that is a consideration as well....thanks guys you gave me some good stuff to look for as I head to REI this weekend...

Egads
10-15-2009, 12:01
Look for lots of great reviews & recommendations by owners that have significant use (no new buyers)

tammons
10-15-2009, 12:13
As mentioned above you are a hanger ??

I have several sleeping bags and am switching over to a hammock myself.

That said I have a credit with prolite and have decided to go with a MYOG climasheild summer quilt over a golite ultra 20 down quilt. I will probably add a 1-2 oz of down to the ultra 20.

If in a tent or under a tarp I will use a neoair on a blue pad for winter, inside a 6 oz tyvek bivy.

Summer will be just the climasheild quilt on the neoair.

3 season just the golite on the neoair, and possibly a 2 oz GG 1/8 pad.

Total weight of both quilts should be about 2#2oz

JoshStover
10-15-2009, 13:40
I love my MB SS 800 fill #2. I have not had any problems so far. Im heading to Gatlinburg with it tomorrow for a few days on the trail. Ill let you know how it does when I get back. The weather is looking pretty crappy so it will be a good test for the bag...

scope
10-15-2009, 13:57
I started hanging with a sleeping bag - specifically a Sawtooth - and have gone to the Golite Ultra quilt. Being zipped up in a sleeping bag doesn't make much since in a hammock, but of course you can open it up and use it as a quilt. However, I found that the hood of the bag was annoying in quilt mode, and I didn't like laying on the zipper as its typically zipped up some to make a foot box. So, with the quilt, I essentially have the same bag without the additional weight and annoyance of the hood and zipper.

If you do want a bag instead of a quilt, then I would get a hoodless one and stay away from the ones without a full zipper so that you can use in quilt mode if you want to.

Or, you can buy my used Sawtooth if you like?

tammons
10-15-2009, 16:10
I started hanging with a sleeping bag - specifically a Sawtooth - and have gone to the Golite Ultra quilt. Being zipped up in a sleeping bag doesn't make much since in a hammock, but of course you can open it up and use it as a quilt. However, I found that the hood of the bag was annoying in quilt mode, and I didn't like laying on the zipper as its typically zipped up some to make a foot box. So, with the quilt, I essentially have the same bag without the additional weight and annoyance of the hood and zipper.

If you do want a bag instead of a quilt, then I would get a hoodless one and stay away from the ones without a full zipper so that you can use in quilt mode if you want to.

Or, you can buy my used Sawtooth if you like?

How low have you taken your ultra 20 quilt in a hammock ??

tammons
10-15-2009, 16:12
I love my MB SS 800 fill #2. I have not had any problems so far. Im heading to Gatlinburg with it tomorrow for a few days on the trail. Ill let you know how it does when I get back. The weather is looking pretty crappy so it will be a good test for the bag...

The MB UL SS #2 is just a great sleeping bag. Very warm, neck baffle and very light. Breaths really well and very useable into the 60's and maybe the 70's depending on how you drap it.

skinewmexico
10-15-2009, 16:21
I'd look for a Western Mountaineering label.

Wags
10-15-2009, 16:45
i'd look for a long zipper

slow
10-15-2009, 20:32
Nobody on this board has had a mb for 20 yrs.Will it holdup like FF-WM only time will tell.

tammons
10-15-2009, 21:18
You could say that about anything made today.

slow
10-15-2009, 21:50
WM ,FF.I think posts plus overall use from them ....will say enough.

lazy river road
10-16-2009, 00:41
Ok so a quilt is basically just a water resistant down blanket...pretty simple if im understanding it correctly...the reason I think Id want a bag is so when I go camping with my GF I have a bag to sleep on the ground with...is a quilt condusive for sleeping on the ground with, with a propper pad..I like the ideah of the hoodless sleeping bag hadent thought of that thx scope....and i woud def like a full lenght zipper to open up like a blanket/quilt....and im not quite a hanger yet...I will be once I order my WBBB 1.7 double in a few weeks with the super fly tarp and yeti UQ...Ill be using it on my E2E this summer on the LT.....in the process of making my gear list so I know how much money im gonna have to save/spend on my new addiction :)...

freys
10-16-2009, 20:14
Nobody on this board has had a mb for 20 yrs.Will it holdup like FF-WM only time will tell.

I have had my MB "The Main Squeeze" for 15 years. Its one fo the first versions of the SS system. Still works like it did on day 1. Not as warm as it was then but the SS system is still perfect.

freys
10-16-2009, 20:18
I like the SS system of the MB bags a lot. I also own a WM summerlite bag and there is no doubt its as good as it gets for true rating. Even with the WM being THAT GOOD I'm going to buy a MB spiral #1 to start springer March 1st.

tammons
10-16-2009, 21:03
I just returned a MB spiral #1.
It was underfilled in 3 tubes in the chest area.
Also right zip only.
I like left zip.
The zip in my long went to my knees. Its a bit short.

That said if I were on a cold only hike, it would be perfect and very light.

For a thru hike I personally would want something more versitile like a SS UL #1 or #2.

scope
10-16-2009, 21:13
How low have you taken your ultra 20 quilt in a hammock ??

upper 30s with a pad, no UQ, and was comfy... its warmer than it initially looks like it would be

scope
10-16-2009, 21:23
Ok so a quilt is basically just a water resistant down blanket...pretty simple if im understanding it correctly...the reason I think Id want a bag is so when I go camping with my GF I have a bag to sleep on the ground with...is a quilt condusive for sleeping on the ground with, with a propper pad..I like the ideah of the hoodless sleeping bag hadent thought of that thx scope......

A mummy quilt like the Golite Ultra has a footbox that is enclosed for about a foot, then it tapers to an open bottom. Some rectangle quilts, some JRBs for instance, can be used like a quilt on a bed (fully flat) or they use a cinch cord to make a footbox at one end.

IMO, a sleeping bag is better on the ground like a quilt is better in a hammock. Both can be used effectively for either. You thrash with a bag in a hammock, and you have to worry about tucking the sides of a quilt in colder weather on the ground - neither is a huge deal breaker. Comes down to 1) which one, ground or hammock, that you do more often, and 2) weight and bulk. Being that you're going to become a hanger, trust me, you will want to hang more, and of course, you always want less weight and bulk.

scope
10-16-2009, 21:27
oh, and if you go for a bag, there just aren't many hoodless bags rated below 35 degrees... with the Yeti, I wouldn't worry too much about that in the hammock, but you might not find a warm enough one for going to the ground in freezing weather.

tammons
10-17-2009, 10:32
Ok so a quilt is basically just a water resistant down blanket...pretty simple if im understanding it correctly...the reason I think Id want a bag is so when I go camping with my GF I have a bag to sleep on the ground with...is a quilt condusive for sleeping on the ground with, with a propper pad..I like the ideah of the hoodless sleeping bag hadent thought of that thx scope....and i woud def like a full lenght zipper to open up like a blanket/quilt....and im not quite a hanger yet...I will be once I order my WBBB 1.7 double in a few weeks with the super fly tarp and yeti UQ...Ill be using it on my E2E this summer on the LT.....in the process of making my gear list so I know how much money im gonna have to save/spend on my new addiction :)...

If you are not sure about quilts, you could try one and return if you dont like it. Prolite has a great return policy. Some quilts are square with a foot zipper or velcro and a drawstring to make a foot box. The thermarest tech blanket is built like that, but I have never used one.

Some quilts like the most of the Nanutuks, golite ultra 20 and the MLD quilts have sewn in foot boxes. A lot of people use quilts on the ground. They have straps in the body area, so in colder weather you strap it under your pad. Warm weather it does not matter. On the gorund in cold weather some people complain of drafts around the edges, especially if you are a flip flopper. A UL bivy cures that and stops the drafts.

I will say that it is nice when on the ground and it is very cold to be able to zip into a nice warm down bag.

You could also just get a couple of cheaper sleeping bags to start and get a quilt later. The reason most people use quilts is to save weight. Hammock gear is so heavy it makes a lot of sense to use a lighter quilt.
2 Campmor 20 down bags with L+R zips makes sense for $260.

A typical hammock rig is heavier than an UL ground setup so a quilt even makes more sense there.

The big 3-4 weight of a typical UL ground dwellers setup might be with a regular neoair, A 24 oz pack, campmor 20dF bag and a split double rainbow tent is 6# even.

Typical weight of a hammock setup might be roughly 7-8# ++ depending on a lot of variables with the campmor bag. Switching to a golite quilt would save 16 oz.

I guess the bottom line is if you want to carry an extra 16oz and or deal with a sleeping bag in a hammock. Also if your girlfrind can handle sleeping directly on a pad.

I saw a neat double quilt setup the other day on BPL, but I cant find it. From what I remember it has a double blow up pad, and a double sleeping bag strapped on it.

Tim Marshall builds quilts over at BPL. He could probably fasion 2 that would fasten together. Here is one of his latest SUL quilts. This is very specialized though. Weighs 11oz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g46SUD27nf0

tammons
10-17-2009, 10:35
That should say double quilt strapped to it.

LIhikers
10-17-2009, 22:04
What to look for in a bag?
How about weight, warmth, and price?
Pick 2 and be willing to compromise on the third.

Tinker
10-17-2009, 22:31
If I didn't hang like this:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/237103382ByZIeG
I'd use an underquilt with a quilt in the hammock. Sleeping bags are a royal pain to get into when you're in a hammock.
Since I took the above picture I purchased a Golite Feather-lite bag to replace the semi-rectangular Marmot Sierra (purch. at Sierra Trading Post). Unfortunataly, the Golite bag mentioned is no longer made. Mine is a medium/long and weighs 1.5 lbs. and keeps me warm in my hammock down to about 28 degrees. To work their best, a bag used in this way should be fairly tight against your body when pulled up over the hammock. The Speer Hammock co. was my inspiration for the way I insulate these days. Their Peapod is a bit heavy (covers your head, too - I do that with a hat or hood removed from my winter parka) for my liking, but the longitudinal baffles make sense to minimize down migration. I have to spin the bag around my hammock a couple of times a night to keep the majority of the down on top.

lazy river road
10-30-2009, 16:19
I applogize if this has been asked before but for lets say hammocking....is their a formula for uq warmth + tq/bag warmth = how warm will it keep a person... so the wb yetie + go ultra 20 = will keep me warm down to x temp...assuming teashirt and shorts are being worn...I know it can not be precise but for an adverage person apx. HOw do you caculate this??? And I like the look of the go ultra 20...not that not more expensive then a down bag...I like the foot box and ideah of no zipper scratching me...and me and my GF will mostly do summer camping on the ground...while im hoping to start doing mid spring through mid fall....

Jester2000
10-30-2009, 16:42
Probably a good idea. even if you don't buy there, pay attention to the dimensions of the bags and how comfortable they are, even write them down. You can later compare these dimensions to some you find online to make your choice.

I cannot tell you what good advice this is. Going to a store and getting in some bags and paying particular attention to what shoulder girth feels comfortable to you is VERY important. Regardless of what bags they actually have in the store, at least knowing what size works for you will make buying the right bag so much easier.

Now, when I first read the title of this thread, I read "what to look for in a sleeping bag?" and my first thought was "a hot woman."

tammons
10-30-2009, 16:47
I applogize if this has been asked before but for lets say hammocking....is their a formula for uq warmth + tq/bag warmth = how warm will it keep a person... so the wb yetie + go ultra 20 = will keep me warm down to x temp...assuming teashirt and shorts are being worn...I know it can not be precise but for an adverage person apx. HOw do you caculate this??? And I like the look of the go ultra 20...not that not more expensive then a down bag...I like the foot box and ideah of no zipper scratching me...and me and my GF will mostly do summer camping on the ground...while im hoping to start doing mid spring through mid fall....

Top quilt is the same I believe as ground sleeping. I just got an ultra 20 and you will like it. Mine looked very thin when I first pulled it out of the box and even an hour later, but after fluffing it up and sleeping under it, I got a full 2.5" of loft.

Packs incredibly small. Very nice. I have not had a chance to test its low yet. That said the common concensus seems to be that they are good to 25-30dF. I am betting probably 25 for me. I am building a topper 2.5oz climasheild XP quilt to take it down to 0-10dF.

The bottom quilt I cant help you with direct experience as I am just getting into hammocking, but from what I understand you need a lot of loft and maybe a little more than on top.

A ultra 20 + a topper will get me 3" of loft which if according just to the old loft standards should take me down to 0dF roughly.

That said I would assume you would need 3 inches or maybe a little more on the bottom too.
Read the other day where a good down loft number was 3.5-4" for a 0dF UQ.

You could also do a garlington taco and use a couple of blue pads and you would not need so much UQ. The guy that started that uses space blankets inside his. I have no idea how they work, but it sounds interesting.

Just guessing I would bet a 7.5 oz climasheild quilt would be good to 0-10dF. That would probably weigh about 2# +.

tammons
10-30-2009, 16:49
That should say 7.5 oz XP underquilt