PDA

View Full Version : Mildew in my filter

lustreking
10-14-2009, 10:51
I'm not sure if this belongs here or if it's better suited for Health, Safety, & Hygiene.

I have a Katadyn Hiker filter, and I forgot to remove the filter element after the last time I used it. The filter media is now partially grey from what I assume is mildew. The manual recommends pumping 2 Tbsp bleach in a liter of water through it before extended storage, so I did that, but I don't think it made any difference to the mildew. Would a longer soak of the filter in the bleach solution hurt, or should I just break down and buy another element?

The Solemates
10-14-2009, 10:59
I'm not sure if this belongs here or if it's better suited for Health, Safety, & Hygiene.

I have a Katadyn Hiker filter, and I forgot to remove the filter element after the last time I used it. The filter media is now partially grey from what I assume is mildew. The manual recommends pumping 2 Tbsp bleach in a liter of water through it before extended storage, so I did that, but I don't think it made any difference to the mildew. Would a longer soak of the filter in the bleach solution hurt, or should I just break down and buy another element?

i soak mine all the time. stop up the kitchen sink,fill up with very diluted bleach/water combo, and let it soak overnight.

Spokes
10-14-2009, 11:01
I use to remove the filter after every hike and submerge it in a tall glass filled with the bleach solution for about an hour. Did the same thing with the housing and hoses in a large kitchen pot. It always cleared away the grime.

Try it!

Manwich
10-14-2009, 11:05
Here's my end of hike ritual for cleaning my hydrating system.

I'll "pump" diluted bleach-water (2L of water with 1-2 capfulls of bleach) through the filter, leave it sit for a few hours, then pump 2L of Water (that I've added 2 effervescent denture cleaning tabs) through it into my Bladder. I'll let that sit for a few hours then pump 2L of clean water through it, into the bladder again.

I empty the bladder and hose out, roll it up, put it in the freezer, take out the filter element and let it try in the open air.

The Solemates
10-14-2009, 11:47
you can do all these things and spend an hour doing it, or you can just soak it overnight and spend 5 minutes. whatever floats your boat :)

Jayboflavin04
10-14-2009, 13:16
I have an MSR sweetwater filter. I run bleach solution through it after a hike. Let it dry. Then store in the freezer. Dont know if you can store the hiker pro element in the freezer or not.

Trooper
10-14-2009, 15:22
FYI - after an overnight soak, if the mold is still there for some reason get a new filter.

lustreking
10-15-2009, 09:02
Soaking for a couple hours seemed to do the trick. Thanks!

I checked out the prices for a new element at REI.com.

$39.95 for a replacement element, or $44.99 for a whole new filter. Looks like they're pretty much disposable now.

CowHead
10-15-2009, 11:25
I process the mold for research the green is always better than the orange it is great with gorp

Manwich
10-15-2009, 11:29
Soaking for a couple hours seemed to do the trick. Thanks!

I checked out the prices for a new element at REI.com.

$39.95 for a replacement element, or $44.99 for a whole new filter. Looks like they're pretty much disposable now.

Exactly. At that rate, just get a whole new filter. That way, if parts break, you have spares.

Jonnycat
10-15-2009, 12:03
I run a solution of 2T bleach in one liter of water through my filter, then pump it dry.

Then let the parts sit on a plate for a few days or a week or two until I get around to re-assembling it back together.

When you go to use it again, pump about a liter of water through it before you start collecting.