PDA

View Full Version : Deep Gap NC to NOC

Rambler1
10-14-2009, 13:18
I just finished an 8 day trip from Springer to Deep Gap, NC last week.

I'm planning a 4 day from Deep Gap, NC to NOC in mid November.
4 days ~ 13mi per day.

Anyone familiar with the area ? water, etc.
How used is this area ?
Anyone interested in joining ?

Just Plain Jim
10-14-2009, 14:23
Back in 2007, my buddy and I started at Dicks Creek Gap and made it to the NOC in 4 days and 3 hours. We started late the first day and stopped early the fourth so that we could eat blueberry pancakes for breakfast at the local cafe there.:banana

Just Plain Jim
10-14-2009, 14:24
Oh! 2007 was the low water year, but I see no problems for you.

brian2o0o
10-31-2009, 09:33
I will be doin Wayah Bald to Cheoah Bald next weekend

Ron Haven
10-31-2009, 11:04

4 days ~ 13mi per day.

How used is this area ?
Anyone interested in joining ?Hello Rambler.Glad you are coming back to our parts.I have heard the water sources are good.We have been having an abundant amount of rain.If you need anything when you come thru just let me know.

Codger
10-31-2009, 11:44
Wife and I just finished Deep Gap to Fontana three weeks ago in 8 days with a down day in Carter Gap Shelter sitting out a storm. The trail is in great shape, plenty of water. Between Deep G and Noc the trail is moderate, if you go north out of NOC you have some good claims.
Have a great hike.

JTCruiser
10-31-2009, 11:55
...Anyone familiar with the area ? water, etc.
How used is this area ?...

I hiked this stretch about 6 weeks ago, mostly in rain, so finding water wasn't the issue. You won't have any trouble finding water this year. For planning purposes, you will notice on the map that for about 8 miles past Winding Stair Gap, the only marked water source is on a blue-blaze trail to the Siler Bald shelter. We stayed on the main trail, so we skipped that water source. No problem if you plan for it.

We had the trail pretty much to ourselves. We hike during the week, plus it was too late in the year for NOBOs and too early for SOBOs.

This is a wonderful stretch of the AT--truly beautiful. Be sure to take the side trial to the top of Siler Bald if the weather is clear--great views. Hope you enjoy it!

Big Dawg
10-31-2009, 12:11
Ahhh, what fond memories of this section. Did this one back in 2002. You'll enjoy! I really enjoyed Wayah Bald, looking back at Deep Gap, and being able to see the chain of mountains that the AT followed to get to Wayah. The map at the edge of the stone wall helped to identify the route. Really cool!! :D

kilroy
11-01-2009, 05:14
I'm planning on doing a similar hike at the end of December. I'll be going from Winding Stair to Fontana starting on either December 26 or 27th.

Any words of advice on the weather during that time of year in this neck of the woods? Most of the camping/hiking I do is in the winter, but that's pretty much only in north Georiga and North Western Alabama.

Big Dawg
11-01-2009, 08:17
I'm planning on doing a similar hike at the end of December. I'll be going from Winding Stair to Fontana starting on either December 26 or 27th.

Any words of advice on the weather during that time of year in this neck of the woods? Most of the camping/hiking I do is in the winter, but that's pretty much only in north Georiga and North Western Alabama.

If you mostly do winter camping, then you should be fine in this section. The terrain is not much different than north Georgia. You'll run into a little higher elevation, but your winter camping skills will help you enjoy the trip! Obviously, check the weather forecast just before you leave so you can tweak your hiking kit accordingly!

kilroy
11-05-2009, 01:55
Yea, I'm just a little nervous because I'm going the hammock route on this trip, and while I'm conducting field tests now, I'm still a bit apprehensive. Also, in a never ending quest to lighten my load, I'm switching over to down, which I've never used before. Again, field testing all this gear before the trip, but the winter hike I took during that same time last year went from sunny and 60 during the day to 3 days of rain and one of snow when the forecast had called for a 20% chance of rain lol.

The snow was awesome though. Don't see much of that here in Georgia. Was doing a SOBO section that trip, and our last day was hiking from Springer to Amacalola Falls in about 3 inches of snow.

bulldog49
11-05-2009, 10:31

4 days ~ 13mi per day.

How used is this area ?

I did Unicoi to Stecoah last week. The trail is in good condition and water is plentiful. Enjoy your hike!

Rambler1
11-05-2009, 18:58
thanks for all your comments. Looks like weather is going to be good. Planning on a great trip...Thanks Ron for your offer...will keep you in mind.
cheers

Monkeyboy
11-05-2009, 23:42

4 days ~ 13mi per day.

How used is this area ?

A lot of new shelters have been put up in the area with plenty of good water sources along the way.

Four days should be PLENTY of time to do it.

Bulldawg
11-05-2009, 23:53
Were is the best (well any) water sources along the route from say Blue Ridge Gap to Deep Gap. I'm planning on Blue Ridge Gap to whereever I can get to in 3 days next weekend. Looks like I have to pull up short on day one at Muskrat Creek because of later Friday start and I don't think I can make it to Standing Indian in the shorter days. I'd like to push for 8 or so miles that first day, but water looks like it might have to be carried if I do that. Any advice?