PDA

View Full Version : Vibram (vee-bram) Fivefingers flow

David@whiteblaze
10-14-2009, 14:26
Has anyone used any form of fivefingers? I am planning on using the flow as a camp shoe as it will allow my toes to have semi-freedom (at least from one another...) as well as keeping my feet from the accident of last night's raging party (glass shards etc.) They seem to be rather light (compared to sandals) and keep the feet protected [as compared to light flipflops (no, not the hiker kind...:rolleyes:) that arent so named for their sound, but the fact that thaey flip-flop from side to side: //ll ll\\] If anyone can give me insight, I will appreciate it.

unclemjm
10-14-2009, 14:48
I am about 4 days into trying my five fingers KSO shoes. Although they take some getting used to, I really like them. You get all the feel of the ground like you would going barefoot without the pain of gravel, acorns, sticks...

They should be great for water crossing too.

The jury is still out as far as replacing my crocs for camp though. Five Fingers are literally like putting a glove on your feet and I am not sure how that would be after a long day in boots or shoes. Also, although each time I put them on it is easier, I have not gotten good enough at slipping them on to see them as a good quick shoe for late night trips when the bladder calls.

Maddog
10-14-2009, 14:59
i have two pair of http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/ (KSO and FLOW). once you break them in and your feet get used to them they are amazing! very comfortable! and "yes" you can get socks for them(INJINJI)! im taking the FLOWs on my thru-hike...they are thicker on the top and bottom than the KSOs!

David@whiteblaze
10-14-2009, 15:43
the question is... y do people think they're ugly? Also, who would want socks on w/ fivefingers? the idea is that they arent waterproof... so... if you wear socks, your feet WILL get cold if wet...

unclemjm
10-14-2009, 15:52
the question is... y do people think they're ugly?

Because they are. :)

Mine are a pea green and gray color - my wife say's my feet look like Shrek's.

Crocs are ugly too. Never kept me from wearing them either.

humunuku
10-14-2009, 22:00
I think they're great, but they don't just slip on...so if you want something for creek xing, or want to quicky put them on while at camp, they may not be the best choice. Now if you want to put them on and leave them on, then they will work out fine

Skidsteer
10-14-2009, 22:34
Also, who would want socks on w/ fivefingers? the idea is that they arent waterproof... so... if you wear socks, your feet WILL get cold if wet...

If you hike in them and don't wear socks your feet will turn green and rot, which takes a lot of the fun out of hiking.

Maddog
10-15-2009, 04:29
the question is... y do people think they're ugly? Also, who would want socks on w/ fivefingers? the idea is that they arent waterproof... so... if you wear socks, your feet WILL get cold if wet...if you get the KSOs you will want to wear socks, because the tops are mesh! wet, or not, your feet will get cold if its cold outside! the FLOWs are a different story with the neoprene tops...and yes they(FLOWs) are waterproof!:rolleyes:

Doooglas
10-15-2009, 08:10
Has anyone used any form of fivefingers? I am planning on using the flow as a camp shoe as it will allow my toes to have semi-freedom (at least from one another...) as well as keeping my feet from the accident of last night's raging party (glass shards etc.) They seem to be rather light (compared to sandals) and keep the feet protected [as compared to light flipflops (no, not the hiker kind...:rolleyes:) that arent so named for their sound, but the fact that thaey flip-flop from side to side: //ll ll\\] If anyone can give me insight, I will appreciate it.
WOW:eek: You're from the states and actually know how to pronounce VEEBrahm ?
when did you move there ?:confused:;):D
I bought a set of toe condoms. Not impressed. I'll stick with my Crocs in camp.
I like FAST on and off and those don't fit that requirement.I have yet to test them on rock but I may use them for river crossings later. Right now I just barefoot or unpack my Crocs if I cant see the bottom.
Don't wanna step on THIS barefoot :eek:

David@whiteblaze
10-15-2009, 08:37
Egads! What is that??? Also, I never planned to hike in them.

Cody
10-15-2009, 14:13
if you get the KSOs you will want to wear socks, because the tops are mesh! wet, or not, your feet will get cold if its cold outside! the FLOWs are a different story with the neoprene tops...and yes they(FLOWs) are waterproof!:rolleyes:

The flows are not waterproof. I own a pair. I think I heard that injinji makes a wool sock. Since wool still retains heat when wet, it might be a good solution for warmth. I wish the flows were waterproof. That'd be cool.

JoshStover
10-15-2009, 14:25
I have had a pair for awhile and I love them. I have got to where I can slip them on and off just as fast as any other shoe. These guys will most def be in my pack when I leave Springer and hopefully they will still be with me in Maine...

Kayakado
10-15-2009, 14:43
I have KSOs and classics. I have hot feet and prefer the classics as my camp shoe. I don't have any issues putting them on, just spread my toes and slide them on. The KSOs take a little more finessing.

David@whiteblaze
01-18-2010, 06:40
WOW:eek: You're from the states and actually know how to pronounce VEEBrahm ?
when did you move there ?:confused:;):D
Actually, I moved here when I was 1. I was born in Iceland (not that that makes any difference...)

Mud__Bone
01-19-2010, 00:36
not sure I want them for backpacking, but I'm interested in them jus for toolin' around.
lol some folks round here think me odd at times they see me with "damn ski poles" out a walkin' lol they jus don't get it :P so to trip them out a bit more I'd like a pair of these FF. I guess they will call them "flippers" LMFAO

Wrangler88
01-19-2010, 02:42
I've worn KSO's everyday since August or so. Mine are finally starting to wear out. My feet have been fine in them. They don't provide any protection against water at all. So if it's wet at all, your feet will be wet.

I've worn them on short day hikes and they're great. I did wear them over a very rock section and my feet were pretty sore after 7 miles.

If anyone was going to hike in these at all, I would suggest walking barefoot and getting your feet pretty rough before you take off on anything too lengthy.

Maddog
01-19-2010, 02:55
The flows are not waterproof. I own a pair. I think I heard that injinji makes a wool sock. Since wool still retains heat when wet, it might be a good solution for warmth. I wish the flows were waterproof. That'd be cool.

mine are! :)