PDA

View Full Version : Overmountain Trail to Roan Bluff

Footloose
10-14-2009, 14:26
Hello, I'm planning a weekend hike for next weekend and wanted to see what people thought of it. I'd like to park in Roan Mountain City, I'm not sure where I can park, I read in another recent post about Mtn Harbour B&B, but I'm not planning on staying there before or after hiking. Are there any other good places to park? fri: I'd like to hike the overmountain trail down to overmountain shelter sat: hike to roan high bluff turn around and then camp at the grassy ridge sun: hike back to the car. Does anyone have suggestions about my hike or parking? Thanks!, Mike

Tennessee Viking
10-14-2009, 14:49
Bear Paw did Overmountain Victory not long ago. He has a recent thread somewhere. But there is a small parking lot at Hampton Creek Cove Natural Area where the Overmountain Victory trail starts its climb through farm land up to Yellow Mtn Gap.

http://www.tennessee.gov/environment/na/natareas/hampton/

I am not sure of the overnight parking situation in the area.

But I what would recommend is to park at Mtn Harbour, have them shuttle you to Hampton Creek Cove/Overmountain Victory Trail. Hike to the Barn then up to the Roan High then hike back over the Humps to 19E and Mtn Harbour.

You might want to hurry. Because with recent weather, it is going to drop in temps. Some weather dudes are already predicting heavy frost to flurries to a good snow fall in the next week or so. And walking through the farm fields after rain or snow can be slick.

Footloose
10-15-2009, 11:46
Thanks, I got permission to park overnight at Hampton Creek Cove Natural Area. They just would like me to leave a note on the car's dashboard. I haven't decided where I'll be starting yet, but that info helps!