PDA

View Full Version : Hello From North Carolina

Sugar33
10-14-2009, 14:33
Hi Im New To The Board I Live In Fayetteville N.c I Have Never Hiked The At Before But Hope To Someday. I Am Partally Blind Anyone Wanting To Chat Drop Me A Msg Thanks

Tuckahoe
10-14-2009, 14:55
Welcome to Whiteblaze.

Lyle
10-14-2009, 14:59
Hello, welcome.

Have you ever done any hiking? This is a great place to read and then ask questions as they arise. Also check out the search feature, most topics have been discussed at length at one time or another.

Have fun learning.

Chaco Taco
10-14-2009, 16:20
Go Tarheels!!!!http://www.sportsposterwarehouse.com/catImages/northcarolinachamps09ai-1.jpg

Cowee
10-14-2009, 19:05
When reading your post , I couldn't help but think of Bill Irwin who authored the book "Blind Courage". He's the only blind man to hike the entire 2,167.9 mile Appalachian Trail. His message of hope and encouragement is most inspiring. Best wishes to be the 1st women to do the same !

partinj
10-14-2009, 19:23
Hi sweetheart33 Welcome to Whiteblaze Ifyoulook up in the left hand part (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=24406)
you find all kind of stuff to help you out to. and and the great info on this site.

:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome
(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=24406)

FritztheCat
10-15-2009, 17:07
Hello from Virginia! :welcome

You'll find a ton, litterally, of useful information here. The great folks on this site have helped me more than I can say.

freys
10-15-2009, 17:17
I too am partially Blind. I have keriticonis. I may not be able to see all the things people see but that don't mean chit to me. I still love backpacking. I flew out to NC this past spring and did 5 days and 70 miles in GSMNP. Planning to go and start the AT this March solo and go as far as I can go until May. Then In July I'm going to do the CT.

JoshStover
10-15-2009, 17:20
:welcome Hello from West Virginia! You will love this site. You can find anything you need to know about hiking in general on here( Not just the AT) but if you are wanting to know ANYTHING about the AT this is most def the right place...

:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

sheepdog
10-15-2009, 19:15
Welcome......

Blissful
10-15-2009, 19:32
Welcome, glad you're here.

mudhead
10-16-2009, 06:25
I too am partially Blind. I have keriticonis. I may not be able to see all the things people see but that don't mean chit to me. I still love backpacking. I flew out to NC this past spring and did 5 days and 70 miles in GSMNP. Planning to go and start the AT this March solo and go as far as I can go until May. Then In July I'm going to do the CT.

Rock on!

What sort of precautions do you need to take with limited vision?

(Maybe if you don't look at the blue rug, you will be cured!):)

freys
10-16-2009, 15:01
Rock on!

What sort of precautions do you need to take with limited vision?

(Maybe if you don't look at the blue rug, you will be cured!):)

Probably the biggest one is snakes. I just don't see them. I have to be very careful when stepping on what looks to me to be a tree branch or a twig. Other then that I'll take blown up maps and such for navigation. I can't find anyone I know that has both the time and the money so if I have to go solo I won't really be solo starting March 1st.

I have found that going to football games and seeing THE BLUE helps cure me ;-)