PDA

View Full Version : Light, non-mummy bags?

vggalan
08-10-2004, 22:10
I have trouble sleeping in mummy bags, because I tend to move around a lot when I sleep. Currently, I use an old rectangular Coleman, but it's on it's last legs and not nearly warm enough for early spring/late fall. I've been shopping around for a new bag, but most of the rectangular bags I've seen have been pretty heavy and bulky. Does anyone have any suggestions for a three-season bag that's relatively lightweight, packs small, but is still roomy? (A friend recommended the EMS Solstice, but I've never read a review on it.)

On a related note, I've read a lot of the hammock-quilt posts. Is anyone using a quilt in their tent? Would that be warm enough?

Groucho
08-10-2004, 22:43
I have trouble sleeping in mummy bags, because I tend to move around a lot when I sleep. Currently, I use an old rectangular Coleman, but it's on it's last legs and not nearly warm enough for early spring/late fall. I've been shopping around for a new bag, but most of the rectangular bags I've seen have been pretty heavy and bulky. Does anyone have any suggestions for a three-season bag that's relatively lightweight, packs small, but is still roomy? (A friend recommended the EMS Solstice, but I've never read a review on it.)

On a related note, I've read a lot of the hammock-quilt posts. Is anyone using a quilt in their tent? Would that be warm enough?

This is a link (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=86909&prmenbr=226) for the Campmor 20º long bag. They have a regular for $10 cheaper. Sierra Trading Post sometimes has bags on sale. I've never used this bag; maybe someone on Blaze has and can give a review.

verber
08-10-2004, 23:44
Quilts can work on the ground. I use a 1lb Nunatakusa Ghost_Blanket (http://www.nunatakusa.com/Sleeping_Bag_Ghost_Blanket.htm) (quilt) down to around 35F by itself, 25F with a liner and/or water resistant bivy sack. For light, wide, sleeping bags you might want to take a look at sleeping bags by Big Agnes (http://bigagnes.com/).

Tabasco
08-11-2004, 08:38
Semi rectangular down bag, under 3 lbs, compresses very well, loads of wiggle room. I have the long, as I am 6'3" and 215 lbs, plenty big enough for me.

Got mine at Hiltonstentcity.com for under $ 200

Love this bag.

frankcornbread
08-11-2004, 09:05
Western Mountaineering Aspen or Ponderosa, Versalight is lightest at 2# but not as durable.
Big Agnes Lost Ranger, big warm somewhat heavy, sleep system w/ integral pad is a nice feature.
Integral Designs Appalachian, you can order a relaxed fit if desired.
Feathered Friends Swift, choice of epic, event, pertex plus 800 fill wt upgrade is a cheap option.
All these companies get great reviews and their bags are designed by people that use them, not marketing MBA's that never leave their cubicles.
I'm a side or belly sleeper and sleep hot. Broad shoulders and like to flip flop side to side so mummys won't work for the long haul. Bigger bags mean less efficiency though so you will need to consider a warmer rated bag and more weight as a trade off for the luxury of space. I'm on the fence between FF Swift ( choice of fabrics, epic probably, but several ounces heavier) and WM hooded Aspen ( not quite as warm so have to add a liner when it hits 15 deg, +8oz ) None of these are cheap and rarely if ever go on sale, but sleeping well and staying dry are first priority for me. Any of them will still put my winter total pack weight under 35# w/ food and aqua. As well, the cash upfront buys enduring quality ( construction, 800-850 fill wt down, and durable fabrics ) you get what you pay for, IMHO. Or pay me now, etc.etc.
FC

The Will
08-11-2004, 14:54
Let me echo the recommendation for Feathered Friends products. They have several retangular and semi-retangular down bags in there line-up. You will pay for them, but if you are certain as to what you want in a sleeping bag (weight, shape, fabric, over-fill, color, etc.,) than Feathered Friends can get it for you.

Smee
08-11-2004, 16:10
Take a look at the "Old Rag Mtn" quilt at www.jacksrbetter.com. Guarranteed to keep you warm.

Cedar Tree
08-11-2004, 16:36
I carried a Campmor 20 degree rectangular bag for my entire thruhike. It is one of the very few pieces of gear that went every step of the way....from Springer all the way to Katahdin.....stream campground. I think it is a great bag.
CT