PDA

View Full Version : Books about the formation of the AT?

Manwich
10-14-2009, 20:38
I was wondering if anybody has come across a book outlining the formation of the trail from the Benton MacKaye days... you know, like how all the sections came together and whatnot

Jack Tarlin
10-15-2009, 17:21
There is a wonderful biography of Benton MacKaye by Larry Anderson, I think it was published in 2002. It will answer a lot of your questions. It lists for around $47.00 dollars; you can get it for less at www.appalachiantrail.org if you're an ATC member.

rickb
10-15-2009, 21:21
I had a hard time with it. But then again I thought Moby Dick was a difficult read. I am a product of public schools.

I had a cool experience a couple weeks ago, though. I lead walks at conservation and other local properties the first Saturday of each month in my town. Generally about 20 people show up, many of whom wouldn't venture out to these places on thier own.

Anyway, the first Saturday in October was very rainy and other than my wife only one person joined us. She was 84 years old and a fun individual, so it was great to get to know her better.

When she said she was from Shirley, I asked her if she ever heard of Benton McKaye. What a reaction I got! She had no idea of his historical standing but remembered him well. As a young girl she though he was kind of scarry.

Anyway, it was a fun connection.