PDA

View Full Version : Have a good laugh - read this

Wise Old Owl
10-14-2009, 23:51
With all the wonderful things we can now do with cooking on the trail.... Is the collection from all the fast food stores of PACKETS taking over your refrigerator drawer? Do you contemplate the next plastic shaker of mixed spices you need to take on the next hike...Does your dehydrator take over the kitchen during the week?

Obsessed? - I am!:banana

Dicentra
10-15-2009, 10:47
With all the wonderful things we can now do with cooking on the trail.... Is the collection from all the fast food stores of PACKETS taking over your refrigerator drawer? Do you contemplate the next plastic shaker of mixed spices you need to take on the next hike...Does your dehydrator take over the kitchen during the week?

Yes. :sun All of that. Yes.

ShelterLeopard
10-15-2009, 11:06

I do that obsessively too- I collect packets everywhere. I think it may be getting to be too much... My favourite mustard is Grey Poupon, so I always buy cheese at a particular store so I can grab a handful. And honey, and ketchup, and mayo too. At first I thought it was brilliant, until I slipped some mustard into my back pocket, forgot I did that, and sat down. On the bright side, my jeans now smell like mustard. On the down side, my jeans now smell like mustard.

PS- I think (in addition to the dancing banana), there should be a kickline banana that does the cancan.

Not Sunshine
10-15-2009, 11:16
they have texas pete packets, too. i collect them by the handful - shamelessly.

mcdonalds also does strawberry and grape jelly in a packet - which is perfect with pb. :)

TOW
10-15-2009, 11:35
You all need any paskets of shampoo to add to what you have, that's what I have and I have no hair.

kanga
10-15-2009, 12:00
i recently reached into my purse and got slimed. a mayo packet that i had forgotten busted open and covered everything. only my hiker friends understood why the mayo was in my purse in the first place...

Lone Wolf
10-15-2009, 12:09

where's the link to somethin' funny? :-?

Trailsbest
10-15-2009, 12:36
The sheer amount of packets that I have going on in my fridge is legendary lol! I have everything from soy sauce to tartar sauce.

saimyoji
10-15-2009, 12:58
i recently reached into my purse and got slimed. a mayo packet that i had forgotten busted open and covered everything. only my hiker friends understood why the mayo was in my purse in the first place...

you sure that wasn't a used condom? :eek:

saimyoji
10-15-2009, 12:59
dear lord, baby jesus, please forgive me for that right there.....:o

kanga
10-15-2009, 13:06
you sure that wasn't a used condom? :eek:
saim, are you single? if you are, go up to the nearest female and ask her to smack the ever lovin' hell out of you!

saimyoji
10-15-2009, 13:09
saim, are you single? if you are, go up to the nearest female and ask her to smack the ever lovin' hell out of you!

ok, brb...

ShelterLeopard
10-15-2009, 13:19
[SMACK]

There.

Rain Man
10-15-2009, 13:21

Happened to me in May, except it was in my pocket! Stopped at a truck stop on way to Virginia section hike with LilRed. Grabbed a few mayos and relishes and had no place to put them, so in my pocket they went for the drive. One never made it to the trail, sad to say! LOL

I've just learned that our Panera Bread has Gulden's Mustard and Tobasco in the little packages. They worked great on my hike this past weekend!!!

Rain:sunMan

saimyoji
10-15-2009, 13:21
it took some convincing, but i got a gal across the hall to slap me. she also asked me for my phone #.....we got a date tonite! :p

http://www.nbc.com/American_Gladiators/images/photos/scet/1463/siren_033.jpg

ShelterLeopard
10-15-2009, 13:25
Oh, BY THE WAY. You know those shiny red Gulden's mustard packs? If you get bug spray on those, the red stuff will come off and stain the inside of your pack. I had Gulden's mustard packets in my pack (usually I keep them in a ziploc, but the one time I don't...), and bug spray in a plastic bag, the bug spray leaked, took all the ink off the packets, and now the inside of my front pack pocket is very red.

kanga
10-15-2009, 13:44
[SMACK]

There.
thank you. :clap

kanga
10-15-2009, 13:46
Oh, BY THE WAY. You know those shiny red Gulden's mustard packs? If you get bug spray on those, the red stuff will come off and stain the inside of your pack. I had Gulden's mustard packets in my pack (usually I keep them in a ziploc, but the one time I don't...), and bug spray in a plastic bag, the bug spray leaked, took all the ink off the packets, and now the inside of my front pack pocket is very red.
haha! if you clean your counter with a bleach containing spray and then lay a loaf of crappy bread down, all of the color inking will come right off the bag and permanently stick to your counter...:mad:

kanga
10-15-2009, 13:47
The sheer amount of packets that I have going on in my fridge is legendary lol! I have everything from soy sauce to tartar sauce.
i have a dedicated drawer. i think it's supposed to have lunch meat in it, but it has jelly and mayo and butter and oil and honey and all kinds of things. you can't open it though. it's too full and everything would fall out.

kanga
10-15-2009, 13:48
it took some convincing, but i got a gal across the hall to slap me. she also asked me for my phone #.....we got a date tonite! :p

http://www.nbc.com/American_Gladiators/images/photos/scet/1463/siren_033.jpg
that is such a lie. if'n she smacked you, you'd still be down.:rolleyes:

ShelterLeopard
10-15-2009, 13:52
I have several shoe boxes. And I tried cleaning the pack outside, hopeless.

They should have one of those smiley faces on here with little x's for eyes, so people can post them when they have packs that are hopelessly and irreversibly dyed red.

ShelterLeopard
10-15-2009, 13:52
Shoe boxes filled with packets, I mean.

kanga
10-15-2009, 14:03
uh-huh. sure.

DAKS
10-15-2009, 14:10
am i supposed to be keeping my individual packets in the 'fridge? do they keep longer? i just have 'em in a plastic container in a closet? anybody know?

saimyoji
10-15-2009, 14:16
that is such a lie. if'n she smacked you, you'd still be down.:rolleyes:

nah, she looks tough but she's really just a pussy cat. :cool:

kanga
10-15-2009, 14:33
nah, she looks tough but she's really just a pussy cat. :cool:
haha! you said.. oh wait. nevermind.

kanga
10-15-2009, 14:34
am i supposed to be keeping my individual packets in the 'fridge? do they keep longer? i just have 'em in a plastic container in a closet? anybody know?
i don't think they have to be in a fridge. they're not in a fridge at chik-fil-a or the convenience store and if it needs to be fridged, then they would have to do it since they are food service. so... i'll go with no.

DAKS
10-15-2009, 14:36
i don't think they have to be in a fridge. they're not in a fridge at chik-fil-a or the convenience store and if it needs to be fridged, then they would have to do it since they are food service. so... i'll go with no.

thanks a million!

RadioFreq
10-15-2009, 14:38

Seeing the same items in a larger size on a grocery store shelf should answer your question. :-?

kanga
10-15-2009, 14:38
on second thought, i have never refrigerated my mayo packets and that could be one of the many things that is wrong with me. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-confused010.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

kanga
10-15-2009, 14:39
Seeing the same items in a larger size on a grocery store shelf should answer your question. :-?
yes, because you know they're automatically sealed the same.. :rolleyes:

DAKS
10-15-2009, 14:49
on second thought, i have never refrigerated my mayo packets and that could be one of the many things that is wrong with me. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-confused010.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

the shelf-life of the mayo packets always makes me askeered! might be time to make my once a year trip to chik-fil-a!

Gray Blazer
10-15-2009, 20:02
HA HA Ha Thud! I just laughed my head off. This the new Warghy Thread (or the old I'm leaving WB thread).

I don't refridge the mayo packets either. I just don't use them when it come out brown. :eek:

ShelterLeopard
10-16-2009, 10:38

:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana: banana:banana

ShelterLeopard
10-16-2009, 10:42
The second to last banana didn't quite make it...

kanga
10-16-2009, 10:45
poor little banana

ShelterLeopard
10-16-2009, 11:41
I know- and the first banana seems to be out of sync with the others.

Farr Away
10-16-2009, 12:15
I periodically go through and toss packets that have been around too long, although if it looks and smells like it should, it's probably safe to use.

Gaiter
10-16-2009, 12:55

I did the same thing recently with a honey packet...

Does Duke's make mayo packets?

kanga
10-16-2009, 14:50
I did the same thing recently with a honey packet...

Does Duke's make mayo packets?

idk. that would b awesome tho if they did.

Dicentra
10-17-2009, 10:57
I'm trying to remember where I picked up the lemon juice packets! I wants more...

sarbar
10-19-2009, 13:07
Lemon juice packets? At Target, they have them with the Starbuck's stuff if the Target has a SB kiosk....

sarbar
10-19-2009, 13:09
I have a bin (smaller than my usual) that I keep all my packets in, arranged by type, in sandwich or snack size bags.
Hehheh!

Dicentra
10-19-2009, 13:42
Lemon juice packets? At Target, they have them with the Starbuck's stuff if the Target has a SB kiosk....

It wasn't Starbucks... Cabella's maybe?

Dicentra
10-19-2009, 13:42
I have a bin (smaller than my usual) that I keep all my packets in, arranged by type, in sandwich or snack size bags.
Hehheh!

Mine are mostly gone... given to the thrus this summer. I have the winter to restock!

sarbar
10-19-2009, 14:21
It wasn't Starbucks... Cabella's maybe?

Probably. Also Tully's. And most fast food places that sell ice tea.

sloetoe
10-19-2009, 14:44
I've never been into the packets thing -- though I should -- the neighborhood Chinese food joint throws in large handfuls with every order, and I dutifully collect it up and give it back annually. No, my thing is 2oz scoops and toilet paper remnants. I'd just collect them up from hither and yon, go to Trail Days, and walk around gifting them to the current thrus. (Lately, I've also added the mesh bags that onions and potatoes and citrus come in -- great for splitting your food into B-L-D.) The only problem is, not having attended a Trail Days in a couple of years, I now have a BUTTLOAD of scoops and mesh bags that make me look a little on the Mad Horder scale of things... Maybe that's jus' me, though.....

ShelterLeopard
10-19-2009, 14:52
YOU HORDER!!! Oh wait, that's the pot calling the kettle black... :D

Wise Old Owl
11-03-2009, 20:35
Recently I found Tobasco packets on pizza boxes - now that's a score!

rynogator
11-04-2009, 18:33
http://www.minimus.biz/

I'm sure you all know about this, but just check out the selections! Tons of stuff, obviously not free, but reasonable if looking for something specific.

Wise Old Owl
11-05-2009, 00:10
Lemon packets show up where folks drink tea - Wawa for one, possible Sheetz.

east_stingray
11-08-2009, 10:55
Not only does my dehydrator take up the kitchen, my freezer is full of dried beef and noodles.

Wise Old Owl
11-08-2009, 11:13
tons of crappy soy packets ---and hot sauce from toco bell...

ShelterLeopard
11-10-2009, 12:41
I want tabasco packets!!!

ShelterLeopard
11-10-2009, 12:42
And I've given up on honey packets. They don't hold enough honey, so I always need to take a lot, then the packets get sticky, and I inevitably sit on one. So, my honey has just been transferred to my nalgene smallish thing. (And I like raw honey more than any other- sooo good)

sheepdog
11-10-2009, 13:17
I just bring the bottle. It's not that heavy. But I guess I'll never get to be a ULer.:)

ShelterLeopard
11-10-2009, 13:21
Me neither- whenever a UL hiker sees my pack, they grimace. (I used to carry a parachute hammock in addition to my solo tent. But who was laughing when we set up camp and I not only had a dry place to sleep, but also a hammock to crash in? That's right. Me. I'm not carrying it on my thru though)

Wise Old Owl
11-11-2009, 19:53

those were glued to pizza boxes from a local unknown vendor - just get a micro bottle from EMS or REI and fill it with Tabasco.... you will live, now breathe..... and breathe..... and inhale.....

Wise Old Owl
11-11-2009, 19:54
Me neither- whenever a UL hiker sees my pack, they grimace. (I used to carry a parachute hammock in addition to my solo tent. But who was laughing when we set up camp and I not only had a dry place to sleep, but also a hammock to crash in? That's right. Me. I'm not carrying it on my thru though)

,,,,,,,,,Why not?

ShelterLeopard
11-11-2009, 23:50
Well, I'm not carrying it until around Harpers Ferry, because my winter gear takes up a lot of space, and I don't like hammocking quite as much when it's cold out. But I have a suspicion that it'll make its way back into my pack somewhere around mid hike, especially when my load lightens up. Who knows? Maybe I'll call home from Neels Gap, desperate for my hammock.

And I almost never sleep in it- though it's a bit like having a mattress that conforms to your body, I don't like getting up out of it at night and occasionally the swinging bothers me. Only occasionally though.

ShelterLeopard
11-11-2009, 23:50
And the lighter my pack when I start out, the better. I'll add to it a bit as I go, perhaps.

kanga
11-12-2009, 09:11
I'm trying to remember where I picked up the lemon juice packets! I wants more...

believe it or not, i picked up some the other day at my favorite sushi joint. go figure.