PDA

View Full Version : Springer Fever Oops I mean Camp Fever!?

Mad Hatter 08
10-15-2009, 03:39
Well I'm feeling the fever again to get out and go backpacking. Since I can't afford the time off to make another trip out east I'm going to start sectioning out here. I'm looking at a Border to Warner Springs section after the KO this coming year. Any suggestions on gear changes anybody made from AT to PCT? Also I know you have to have a Bear Cannister in certain areas. Should I start out with one?

wandering_bob
10-15-2009, 16:40
You don't need a bear canister until you reach the Sierra. They are required from essentially Cottonwood Pass through Yosemite Natl Park. Most hikers ship theirs to Kennedy Meadows - or to Lone Pine if they are going out at Horseshoe Madows (via Trail Pass) to resupply there.

Nothing says you can't or shouldn't carry a canister anywhere else on the trail, but do you really want another 2 pounds + in your pack? Your call.

TwoForty
10-15-2009, 18:45
The best advice I ever got was "buy the yogi book and then ask questions"
Serisouly, it's all there. And if it's not, someone here knows!

Dicentra
10-17-2009, 16:09
Serisouly, it's all there. And if it's not, someone here knows!

And if they don't, someone at KO will! :banana

A-Train
10-17-2009, 17:39
Well I'm feeling the fever again to get out and go backpacking. Since I can't afford the time off to make another trip out east I'm going to start sectioning out here. I'm looking at a Border to Warner Springs section after the KO this coming year. Any suggestions on gear changes anybody made from AT to PCT? Also I know you have to have a Bear Cannister in certain areas. Should I start out with one?

More water capacity for sure. probably a long sleeve shirt and a wide-brimmed hat. Maybe a warmer sleeping bag depending on what you used on the AT. Maybe a tarptent if you were using a tent, but not neccessary.

Jonnycat
10-17-2009, 23:22
Serisouly, it's all there.

So much for HYOH....

Mags
10-18-2009, 01:21
So much for HYOH....

You can still HYOH..but better to have information than not have info.

Are you familiar with the book? There are many different opinions from many different people (Granted, some of the hikers are suspect. Esp the ones from Colorado).

Yet another article I wrote.... This one for general PCT info. Maybe it will be helpful?
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/PCT-Info.html

TwoForty
10-18-2009, 10:24
Regarding the Yogi book.....almost every opinion, attitude, and option is presented there. Tent vs tarp, mail drop vs town shop, and the list goes on for hours. You read about the experiences of various people and make your own choices.

However, I just noticed that the original poster is going from the border to Warner Springs. In that case I wouldn't bother with the Yogi book, as it really shines with regard to logistics. Still, if you have a lot of gear questions, it does cover everything you could want, although the author does get a little preachy in those sections, the supporting opinions give a pretty wide range of thoughts.

The gear I carried on my AT sections varied quite a bit from the PCT sections I did, mainly because my style of hiking changed.

frisbeefreek
10-18-2009, 21:47
Border-->Warner Springs is all desert. You can go superlight, especially if you have confidence in the 7-day weather report. Unless the forecast calls for cold weather, I would leave insulating layers at home (take a 40-degree bag). I carried a 2# tent, but would not do so again, especially for a Section Hike.

Water capacity is the critical gear, especially if you are leaving with the herd at KO (some of the caches can go dry as the volunteers can't keep up with the demand).

Border-->Lake Morena is 5+ liters (20 miles), depending on if you do the whole thing the first day. Several people this year got serious heat stroke and had to be evacuated. It's easy to get off trail in the first couple of miles because of the numerous immigrant paths.

The stretch between Scissors Crossing and Barrel Springs is pretty, but involves endless contours around canyons. Hiking at 2PM can be brutally hot.

Barrel Springs is a nice camping spot and great place to watch birds.

Warner Springs Resort is totally worth the $10 entry fee.

TwoForty
10-18-2009, 22:40
I skipped Warner Springs, but kind of wished I didn't. I had frost on the first two mornings, and that was starting a few weeks after the KO, so something warm for camp would be a good idea.

A-Train
10-18-2009, 23:34
Border-->Warner Springs is all desert. You can go superlight, especially if you have confidence in the 7-day weather report. Unless the forecast calls for cold weather, I would leave insulating layers at home (take a 40-degree bag). I carried a 2# tent, but would not do so again, especially for a Section Hike.

Water capacity is the critical gear, especially if you are leaving with the herd at KO (some of the caches can go dry as the volunteers can't keep up with the demand).

Border-->Lake Morena is 5+ liters (20 miles), depending on if you do the whole thing the first day. Several people this year got serious heat stroke and had to be evacuated. It's easy to get off trail in the first couple of miles because of the numerous immigrant paths.

The stretch between Scissors Crossing and Barrel Springs is pretty, but involves endless contours around canyons. Hiking at 2PM can be brutally hot.

Barrel Springs is a nice camping spot and great place to watch birds.

Warner Springs Resort is totally worth the $10 entry fee.

I have to respectfully disagree with you based on my experiences. Although you mention trusting the weather forecast, things can change and in a hurry in the mountains. It seems many year the Laguna mountains get a late April snow storm and the desert can often be cold at night, no matter the day time temps.

I wouldn't enter the desert section (or any section of the PCT) without long johns, an insulating layer, warm hat and a 20 degree bag, but I sleep a bit cold. There are some bailout points in this section, but why roll the dice?

Mad Hatter 08
10-19-2009, 01:46
I went to the last two ko's and I'll definitely will be taking some layers I was thinking maybe the fly from my hubba hubba and a ground cloth but h2o is my biggest worry

frisbeefreek
10-19-2009, 11:53
My opinion, I wouldn't worry about water, in the sense that the PCT Water report for the first couple of hundred miles is very accurate, largely because there are so few good options other than the caches and faucets.

FWIW, I left May 10, so weather was probably warmer than KO.

If I recall, my strategy was (note that I was doing 25mpd):

Campo-tap water
Lake Morena - tap water
Boulder Oaks - tap water (I had to detour along Kitchen Creek, so several options were eliminated for me)
Mt Laguna - tap water
Pioneer Mail - unofficial water cache
Rodriguez Tank - treated
Scissors Crossing - water cache
3rd Gate - water cache
Barrel Springs - treated
Warner Springs - hot tub baby!

Dicentra
10-19-2009, 14:19
I'm looking at doing section A next year too. I had frost on my tent in the morning at KO last year, but the temps got up to the 70's or so during the day. I have a friend in Warner Springs, so I definitley won't be skipping that. :)

Mad Hatter 08
10-20-2009, 03:09
I'm looking at doing section A next year too. I had frost on my tent in the morning at KO last year, but the temps got up to the 70's or so during the day. I have a friend in Warner Springs, so I definitley won't be skipping that. :)

Looking forward to possibly meeting you out there at the KO I've gone the last two years and each time I would wish on Sunday that I wasn't headed back home and to work the next day.