PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Exos

tskye
10-15-2009, 14:18
Now that many of you have used the Exos this summer-how did it go? Were you happy with it? What size? I'm debating between an Exos 46, 55 or an Aura 50 for a PCT through hike next summer. Could you fit a bear cannister in it? Any help is appreciated!

skinewmexico
10-15-2009, 16:19
The hip belt on my Exos 46 felt like it would cut me in half with a 22# load. To try to get weight off my shoulders, I had to keep tightening the belt, and it rotates on the trampoline back frame under a load. I think if you have a smaller waist (I have a 36"), the wings on the hip belt will wrap around your waist enough to actually work. I ended up selling selling my Exos 58 (to a skinny friend who loves it), and will sell my 46. Personally, I wouldn't use any of the packs you've mentioned, especially with born on the PCT, made in the USA ULA packs available. http://ula-equipment.com/

Many Walks
10-15-2009, 16:50
We have the Exos 58 packs and we've winter hiked at the Lassen NF and took them on a Tahoe Rim Trail hike. They are light, well made, easily held our gear, have a nice assortment of well placed pockets, have a wet gear pouch on the back, and a bear canister (we used both BV500 and Garcia canisters) fits horizontally inside no problem. On the down side the buckles are a bit small to work with cold hands and the hip belt pockets seem to be a little too far back on the sides for me, but they would be fine for a smaller waist. If you load it too much the shoulder straps may tend to cut in, but the sheepskin seatbelt pads at Walmart would easily fix that. We like the Exos packs and believe they would work just fine on a thru. I have to agree with skinewmexico that ULA packs are also worth looking into as I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Jester2000
10-15-2009, 17:38
I asked anyone I saw passing through HF wearing one what they thought of it (as we sell them and I wanted feedback), and the reviews were positive. The only complaints I recall were from people who admitted to overloading them, so be careful there (the webbing in the back got compressed, and the shoulder and hip belt cut in with too much weight). Most of the hikers I saw had the Exos 58.

ULA makes an excellent pack, but if you want one don't wait until the last minute to order one.

skinewmexico
10-15-2009, 22:05
I'm not saying the Exos isn't a well thought out (mostly), well designed pack. I really wanted it to work, as should be evidenced by the fact that I bought 2. The trampoline back is perfect for where I live. I just think........well, I wish they had done the hip belt differently, even if it cost some weight. And when I called customer service about it, they were pretty indifferent. I know it was heaven to move the identical load out of my Exos 46 and into my Mariposa Plus, and my Jam2 both. I'm probably biased too, I'm on a buy American kick. Nice to call about a pack, and the guy sewing/designing it answers the phone.

Wags
10-15-2009, 22:30
buying american is really an overrated statement. we live in a global economy nowadays. better phrasing for your statement is you're on a cottage industry kick. imo

i used an exos 58 all summer long and was never longing for extra room. i'm glad i chose the 58L b/c there's been some times when i've had bulky loads. pack carries great and does a decent job of keeping weight off my back and avoiding swampback during the summer.

for under 3 lbs it does a nice job of weight distribution, but i've never had it above 22lbs.

Wheeler
10-15-2009, 23:03
I started the PCT with a new Exos 58 and 20# base weight. One shoulder strap had worn through (yes worn) by Oregon, and they replaced it with a new pack in Ashland. The frame on the replacement broke about 60 miles into wash.. I hitched back to Hood River and they replaced it with an Atmos. The pack is comfy and light but I would'nt try it again for a thru-hike. I'm scared of that pack now. You can however fit a bear can in it. Good luck.

tskye
10-17-2009, 14:34
Thanks, all-I ordered one to try out!

Jayboflavin04
10-18-2009, 09:20
The hip belt on my Exos 46 felt like it would cut me in half with a 22# load. To try to get weight off my shoulders, I had to keep tightening the belt, and it rotates on the trampoline back frame under a load. I think if you have a smaller waist (I have a 36"), the wings on the hip belt will wrap around your waist enough to actually work. I ended up selling selling my Exos 58 (to a skinny friend who loves it), and will sell my 46. Personally, I wouldn't use any of the packs you've mentioned, especially with born on the PCT, made in the USA ULA packs available. http://ula-equipment.com/

I met a young thru hiker this spring at big bald shelter. Reported the same kind of problem except it was his older model Atmos. He had a spot that was rubbed raw right at the top of his Illiac Crest.