PDA

View Full Version : A question for veteran thru-hikers

skeeterfeeder
08-11-2004, 00:58
I am planning a 2005 NOBO, leaving either February (15th on) or early March from GA. Is there a recommended start date?

Mountain Dew
08-11-2004, 06:17
Most start between March 1 and April 20. In 2003 I started March 10 and got snowed on three times. Snow wasn't the worst part. The freezing rain was worse. If you start in Feb. then you had better like snow hiking and love cold weather camping. Best of luck and start prepared my friend. :sun

Haiku
08-11-2004, 08:26
I started on 1 March this year, and just missed a snowstorm a few days earlier. After I started, I had three snowstorms: one in mid-March in the Smokies, one on 1 April as I entered Damascus, and one in mid-April as I entered Pearisburg, VA. In other words, it can snow in February, March, and April, so the earlier you start, be prepared for more snow.

That said, I didn't really mind the snow. Yes, it was cold, and yes, I was sometimes a little miserable in the snow, but overall it wasn't bad. Granted, I live in Massachusetts, so I'm used to the cold and snow. Anyway, it's up to you, but be prepared for cold weather if you start early. It goes with the territory.

Haiku.

hiker5
08-11-2004, 11:06
Back when i started learning about the AT and thru-hiking, a friend of mine told me that 3/4 was the big day for starters. As in to "march forth".

I'd forgetten about this until now and I don't remember ever seeing it mentioned anywhere else. So is it true that march 4th is a particularly popular start date?

SalParadise
08-11-2004, 11:14
I left March 29th this year and got two snows as I recall, and it was cold until about a week after the Smokies. People must be leaving earlier and earlier because of anxiousness. But also consider that if you leave in early April, you'll make it in plenty of time and still won't have to feel hurried along the way. I agree, that freezing rain was awful, it makes you shiver to the bone and there's just no way of getting warm after that.

Footslogger
08-11-2004, 11:23
One approach would be to decide on a target finish date and then back it down according to how long you think it'll take you to get there.

My wife hiked the AT in 2001 and we left Springer together on 3/17. I came back home after a while and met her in Maine to finish up with her. We summitted on 10/2.

Last year on my thru I left Springer on 3/29 and summited Katahdin on 10/9.

I give you those examples just as a reference. Your mileage may vary. I started off at approx 8 miles per day pace and at one point was up to 22 - 23 miles/day but my overall average was likely around 11 - 12 miles per day.

Do the math and give yourself a bit of time for zero days or time off the trail if you think you might need it.

There are NO magic start dates and none are really any better than others ...just different. The weather changes every year but an early March start date pretty much guarantees that you'll do a little hiking in snow at least in the beginning.

Safe Hiking and Happy Trails ...

'Slogger
AT 2003

SavageLlama
08-11-2004, 13:38
So is it true that march 4th is a particularly popular start date?
I always thought April 1st was the unofficial start of the thru-hiking season.

skeeterfeeder
08-11-2004, 21:44
Thanks for all your input. The main reason I wanted to start early was to beat the crowds. I'm not much of a herd animal and prefer quiet to overly enthusiastic groups. See you up the trail. SF

Mountain Dew
08-12-2004, 02:40
I'd say that if you started the last week in Feb. that you'd miss most ofthe people starting.

Footslogger....good advice man !

Skeeterfeeder....if you have "age" realated questions you might email footslogger. He turned 55 on the trail I believe. I gave him skittles and other candy for his birthday on the trail. We were just short of Duncannon I believe.

skeeterfeeder
08-13-2004, 02:57
The only age related question I might have is 'Why don't our eyes age the same as the rest of us?' I still have nineteen year old eyes.

Mountain Dew
08-13-2004, 03:54
I hiked behind Wiget for about an hour or more when he informed me that he didn't have his contacts in. Oh yeah...it was night and we had gotten lost several times....and oh YEAH...did i mention it was raining/hailing ? Just Filthy....

Jaybird
08-13-2004, 08:51
I am planning a 2005 NOBO, leaving either February (15th on) or early March from GA. Is there a recommended start date?

Yo SkeeterFeeder:

seems like most folks start between March 1st & April 15th!
just from what i've observed here....that 45 day window still seems the most popular. If you're starting in FEB...be prepared for the ultra-un-predictable weather in the N GA mtns & Smokies. (winter hikin' conditions)

good luck with your hike! :D

Footslogger
08-13-2004, 12:15
The only age related question I might have is 'Why don't our eyes age the same as the rest of us?' I still have nineteen year old eyes.
...and may they stay ever 19 !!

Dew was one year off in his earlier comment. I actually turned 54 on 7/18/2003. But hey ...it's only chronology. True ...this chassis has 55 miles on it now but I'm still going at the pace of someone in their 30's. I do everything I used to do ...it just takes me a tad longer. Then again, I did keep up with several of the younger whipersnappers on my thru last year. Physical age is just a number. It's how you feel inside and the way in which you look at life and the world around you.

As I see it, the only problem with getting old (especially if you're in good shape and have a lot of energy) is that you're hair turns gray, your teeth fall out, your muscles sag a bit and the younger crowd doesn't always want to play with you for fear you can't keep up or that you'll get hurt. To that end ...I think I convinced several younger thru-hikers last year that I may have the proverbial snow on the roof but there's still fire in the chimney !!

'Slogger
AT 2003

Lobo
08-13-2004, 15:16
I began my hike on my 53rd birthday, February 27, 2000. I ran into light snow & sleet in the Smokies in March, and freezing rain & light snow again in April in Virginia. There was also a stretch of several days that I woke up to frozen water bottles & filters in the morning and started the day's hike in frozen boots. Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. Leave all cotton clothing at home except for a ball cap and bandanna. Of the 10 hikers that started hiking about the same time that I started, all completed their thru-hikes! We averaged about 15 miles per day.

Mountain Dew
08-13-2004, 16:20
Footslogger, My ego is still bruised that you climbed up on the K sign with ease and in a position that only looked easy till I tried to duplicate it and couldn't. No wonder your wife is what ??? 12 years younger than you are. And you keep making jokes about being old with no hair but heck....I don't have any and I'm 30 ! My 30 year old ego and ex-semi pro athlete butt was checked in at the desk on many days in 2003 by hikers in their 50's+ !

Bluebearee
08-13-2004, 16:37
I am in the camp that April starts are the way to go. Way back when (I've been an AT lurker since a teenager) that month seemed to be the most popular. I'm not sure if March took over that title as folks tried to spread out the groupings and not be in a crowd. However, by everyone doing that, it has left mid-April wide open. I started April 18 and finished October 13. I had 13 days completely off trail and about 10 zeros on. It was very quiet at the back of the pack for me. I was alone through much of central VA and the Shennies. I spent PA with the same 2 guys, we didn't catch anyone, but a few came up from behind us. I saw no snow the whole way and only wore more than shorts (or my dress) on my legs two days of the whole hike. Course that was a drought year with horrendous heat. Not til CT did the crew start to group up again and then in NH I started catching people almost every day through the Whites and on into the Wilderness. I only had 2 full shelters and that was along the LT in Vermont. I stayed on Springer alone my first night. I realize this can change year by year, but IMO a mid-April start guarantees as much solitude as you want. Who doesn't want to hike Maine during foliage season??

Cedar Tree
08-13-2004, 18:02
Of the 10 hikers that started hiking about the same time that I started, all completed their thru-hikes! We averaged about 15 miles per day.

Lobo, I am so glad you are a member of Whiteblaze. I love your Pictures.
I started Feb. 13th 2000. I remember only 2 significant snow falls, and lots of cold, icy mornings. But as Lobo said, just about everyone I hiked with the first couple months finished. It was a good group: Lobo, Ausable Mike, Medicine Man, DuckXing, Pigpen, Mikey, Shadow, Shaman, Shakedown, Granddad. Hope I'm not forgetting anyone. I averaged 14.6 miles per day with 9 zeros.

CT

Happy
08-13-2004, 18:32
The big day used to be April 1st, but for the past three years the most popular start days are March 1st, March 15th and April 1st.

If you want to miss the crowds start 2 days ahead of those dates. Georgia weather is hard to figure...I have seen spring come in mid February and stay.
But March is usually our biggest snow month. Last year on March 29th was a big snow on the trail.

Peaks
08-16-2004, 08:08
Thanks for all your input. The main reason I wanted to start early was to beat the crowds. I'm not much of a herd animal and prefer quiet to overly enthusiastic groups. See you up the trail. SF

You can also start late and avoid the herd. I started in late April, and was at the back of the pack. I shared shelter the first night with only one other hiker. Most start by April 15.

Generally speaking, fewer people are out there everywhere mid week than on a weekend.