PDA

View Full Version : Trip this weekend canceled :/

88BlueGT
10-15-2009, 15:16
I absolutely hate when this happens. For my new job I have been working every weekend so my time to get out and hit the trail has been extremely limited. I finally had a small weekend trip planned with 2 people who have never been backpacking before (thats a whole entire adventure by itself) and all of the sudden. Here comes the rain! Guaranteed rain & snow all day Saturday and rain on Sunday. I mean, I COULD still go, but I really don't see the point of taking 2 people out who have never been backpacking before so I can hear them complain and cry when they get wet lol.

Anyway, just needed to vent a little bit, theres nothing worse than looking forward to a trip that has to be put aside at the last minute :mad:

mister krabs
10-15-2009, 15:25
Sneak out and go by yourself!

ShoelessWanderer
10-15-2009, 15:27
Depending on who the 2 people are...could be fun anyways! I planned a trip that ended up having 5 people on it who had never backpacked before and myself. I was VERY worried. But, it was still an awesome trip! It just depends on the people's personalities and additudes.

88BlueGT
10-15-2009, 15:41
It's not that I don't like going backpacking with new people, I actually enjoy it. I like introducing something new and fun to people (plus they're potential new hiking partners lol). Its just the fact that they don't have alot of gear so I'm going through hell and back to get them tents, sleeping bags, rain gear, cooksets, etc. etc. etc. and thats not even the worst of it. Its just the weather that really has everything shot.

As far as going by myself. I don't think backpacking in 2 days straight of rain by myself sounds fun lol some people might, but not me. If it were a week trip and it were going to rain 2 of the days thats a different story. But to go out for 2 days and have it rain and snow for them 2 days straight, I'll pass... it just sucks.

Kerosene
10-15-2009, 15:50
On a brighter note, I just negotiated an extension of the enterprise-level product we've been evaluating for the past 4 months, so I can hike the 103 mile section north of the Smokies starting on the 24th, and hopefully in time to catch some good colors! I really hate it when work threatens to get in the way of long-planned vacations.

johnnybgood
10-15-2009, 16:21
Can you ask to work this weekend for another weekend off or make a deal with a co-worker ? :-?

Still might not work with your friends schedules,

Just sayin'

bullseye
10-15-2009, 16:24
I absolutely hate when this happens. For my new job I have been working every weekend so my time to get out and hit the trail has been extremely limited. I finally had a small weekend trip planned with 2 people who have never been backpacking before (thats a whole entire adventure by itself) and all of the sudden. Here comes the rain! Guaranteed rain & snow all day Saturday and rain on Sunday. I mean, I COULD still go, but I really don't see the point of taking 2 people out who have never been backpacking before so I can hear them complain and cry when they get wet lol.

Anyway, just needed to vent a little bit, theres nothing worse than looking forward to a trip that has to be put aside at the last minute :mad:

GO,GO,GO!!!!!!!!!! I just took a group of 13 (never took more than 4 before) of which 8 had never been out before and we did the section from Race brook Falls Trail to Salisbury last weekend. It rained pretty good all day the 1st day, but because I had warned everyone to have raingear they were prepared. Every single person had a blast! The loved walking in the rain, and didn't mind the view on Race Mt being socked in (of course a perfect day on day 2 over Bear Mt and Lion's Head more than made up for it!). Every last one of them said they can't wait to go again. Get your friends out - if you wait for the weather you'll never go.;)

nox
10-15-2009, 18:38
88.. I am in the same position as you. Every year a few of my high school friends get together for a weekend of hiking or rafting and it never fails that it is the weekend consumed by rain. It figures.

wrongway_08
10-15-2009, 18:39
Go damn it, how the heck do think good times and memories are made.

Perfectly planned trips are never as much fun as the get off your arse and learn along the way trips.

GO, have fun, let the newbies learn the hard way and enjoy yourself. You can even take the "Parade of Fools" name and borrow it for this trip. If you do well and bring back good videos and photos, we will skip the usual mandatory rule. Usually you need to do at least one trip out with a current member to use the name but this trip sounds like it will meet our standards with no problem!! Oh yea, we dont have standards.... :D

nox
10-15-2009, 18:55
I'll probably have pictures of my friends soaking wet flipping me off.. haha. I'm gonna try to talk them into still going.

DirtBagger
10-15-2009, 19:24
Sneak out and go by yourself!

Hmmmm, :-?
It sounds like you are due for a trip - call them and ask if they would rather wait for better weather - hopefully they will say yes. Then sneak off by yourself.

I'd rather be in the wood listening to whiners than be at home - at home is where I do my whining.

Blissful
10-15-2009, 19:31
Agree I'd try to switch to another weekend if you can. I don't go if a weekend looks bad. Makes no sense. The only time I go rain or shine is if a longer section is had been planned. Hopefully in five days or more days the weather is good part of the time.

bullseye
10-15-2009, 21:42
I'd rather be in the wood listening to whiners than be at home - at home is where I do my whining.

Funny b/c I can relate:D

I don't go if a weekend looks bad. Makes no sense.

Makes a lot of sense if you need your "trail fix";).

Alligator
10-16-2009, 12:09
NJ-Only the strong survive. Get out there and hike.

88BlueGT
10-16-2009, 14:27
I like all your opinions guys lol I decided that I was going to go out by myself BUT I already picked up an extra shift at work instead.

And for whoever commented and said to try and get a day off and work someone elses shift, I'm definitely going to try that. The thing is, I do catering and its mostly all weekend work (some Thursdays). BUT I'm going to try and make somethin happen. I'm itching REALLY bad to get out there, especially since I now have all my gear scattered around my room that I was getting ready to take. I'm decided I'm going to leave all my ruck out on my floor so it reminds me to get my ass out there and hike! lol

Also, why is it so cold out? I've gone backpacking on the 17th of October every weekend and it never seems to be this cold. I remember hiking in shorts and a t shirt this time last year :/ hopefully it'll warm up.

jmhouse
10-18-2009, 01:28
i had to cancel a trip this weekend as well. where i was going ended up being in the 30s with rain/snow all weekend. i could have dealt with the snow and cold, but the cold with just rain just wasn't going to work. i always have next weekend to get out though. hopefully you get out soon. it's supposed to be up around 70 by this Thursday around here. It was definitely an abnormal cold snap for this time of year.

Jonnycat
10-18-2009, 01:46
I feel your pain, man. I pretty much only go on short trips if it's nice weather, but longer trips (a week or two) are pretty much just "go and deal with whatever happens."