PDA

View Full Version : Gadget Charger

spyderman654
10-15-2009, 17:40
I realize this will subject me to the ridicule of the purists in the group... but, I have a question. I am considering taking my Amazon Kindle on an upcoming section hike. It will need charging every couple of days. Anyone taken one and have some advice? Or, does anyone know of a good USB gadget charger- preferably AA powered or solar?

wrongway_08
10-15-2009, 18:16
Best bet - If you only need to charge it every couple of days - say 4 or 5, just do it in town. Library, store, fast food, book store.....

The double A chargers I have used and have seen use - dont work well and waste more then they charge.

Solar chargers are not worth it either - from my experience. I do have a 3 panel solar charger I will sell you, cost me $105.00 - sell you for $50.00 plus shipping. You can charge this one off a wall socket while in town and run the device off it that way also. But it didnt work so hot on the trail - just a heads up.

If it has a seperate battery, best bet would be to buy a spare battery and take it along.

partinj
10-15-2009, 18:21
Hi spyderman654 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=24070) i got a post in Straight Forward it call AC Adapter and Charger
Should be what you are looking for.
<script type="text/javascript">*vbmenu_register("postmenu_907580", true);Hi***
</script>

wrongway_08
10-15-2009, 18:31
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54878

Link for above mentioned post.

txag
10-15-2009, 18:49
There are a myriad of options for charging anything on Ebay. They do have a "battery powered usb charger" but it looks like too many batteries to carry efficiently. Seems most all of these charging devices come from Hong Kong - so buyer beware they are not monitored by anybody. To free myself from carrying a separate charger for my Nikon Coolpix camera I ordered a usb charger for a ENEL8 battery (with an additional battery to boot). It looks like it works but it is a kludge. So much so that I probably would not want to fall asleep with it charging in my computer. Also got a usb charger for my phone. They are cheap but you might want to try it on someone else's Kindle first.

Rocket Jones
10-15-2009, 21:11
I realize this will subject me to the ridicule of the purists in the group... but, I have a question. I am considering taking my Amazon Kindle on an upcoming section hike. It will need charging every couple of days. Anyone taken one and have some advice? Or, does anyone know of a good USB gadget charger- preferably AA powered or solar?

For a Kindle, if you limit the online connection to once a day and just long enough to download whatever newspaper/magazine/blog updates you're subscribed to, your battery should last for a week or more.

I use mine every day, but seldom connect, and sometimes go two weeks between recharges.

The Weasel
10-15-2009, 21:33
There are some external battery packs available, if you don't mind the additional weight.

TW

Wheeler
10-15-2009, 23:08
I used my Kindle about an hour a night on the PCT and charged it about every 100 miles. I never ran out of juice.

spyderman654
10-16-2009, 09:27
Thanks guys. It sounds like I will not need any sort of additional charger if I turn off the wireless function and recharge at all of my resupply stops. Awesome. One more question for you Kindle users... Any issues with moisture? I have the water resistant Patagonia case, but am not sure how the unit will perform in prolonged wet/cold weather. Any experience?

Rocket Jones
10-16-2009, 11:20
Thanks guys. It sounds like I will not need any sort of additional charger if I turn off the wireless function and recharge at all of my resupply stops. Awesome. One more question for you Kindle users... Any issues with moisture? I have the water resistant Patagonia case, but am not sure how the unit will perform in prolonged wet/cold weather. Any experience?

I have zero experience, mine's still new enough that I baby it. :o Good question though. Ziplocks? Real waterproof bag? Waterproof case? All of the above?

Mine has a heavy leather cover that I got as a gift with the Kindle. Does anyone know of a tough and light protective cover?

BrianLe
10-16-2009, 13:47
I don't have a kindle but had a similar issue last year with my bluetooth folding keyboard --- it came with a stiff and somewhat heavy leather case. I wrapped the unit in bubble wrap and put that inside a ziplock and it protected it very well for substantially less weight. My recollection of the kindle is that it's a larger unit, maybe there's some risk of bending/cracking that my unit didn't have, however --- i.e., in that event perhaps a stiff case of some kind is needed (?).

Ditto with my smartphone, btw. I bought a light neoprene foam carry unit for it and carried it on a pack strap and on wet days put the phone inside a snack-sized ziplock bag. Worked fine inside the ziplock when using it as a GPS, but to use as a camera or make a voice recording (or most other functions) I had to take it out of the ziplock.

Mags
10-16-2009, 14:26
I realize this will subject me to the ridicule of the purists in the group...

It was written for the PCT, but I am going to link to BrianLe's (Gadget) useful FAQ for electronics. It has some nice info in there:
http://postholer.com/faq.php#Gadgets

Now for the statement I quoted....

More people take (what I call) interactive electronics now. If anything, the people who DON'T take interactive electronics will be the odd people out. :sun

Most questions on the various long distance hiking lists are about how to stay connected as much as possible. Connectvity is very important for most people. Making a phone call every 3-5 days is no longer kosher.
Not making a judgment, just an observation on how as a culture we are changing.

So Luddites like myself will be the ones ridiculed. ;)