PDA

View Full Version : The Blueberry Patch

The Weasel
09-04-2002, 14:28
Of all of the places that I stayed in my first thruhike attempt (GA->VA '00), the Blueberry Patch has the fondest memories. First of all, it's a spartan place with a lot of heart: Decent bunks, a small common area, a fridge, fuel, and more stuff. Gary and his wife put on a VERY nice breakfast (small additional charge) of blueberry pancakes. But what made it special for me was that Gary and his wife invited me to join them and their family for Easter Sunday "sunrise" services, and made me feel like a part of their family, not just some cleaned-up trail trash that they were being patronizing to or making a few bucks off of. They don't push, or even really mention, their religion, so don't get me wrong; but they live it in the finest way I can imagine, through kindness and fellowship. And pancakes.

The Weasel

"Well a promise made, is a debt unpaid, and the Trail has its own stern code." -- Robert Service

Hammock Hanger
09-05-2002, 09:53
What wonderful christian people.

I was picked up on the side of the road by Gary after he dropped off hikers from the night before, dirty and smelly. There was a nice shower room for me, and Lennie took all my dirty clothes and returned them clean and folded. -- Next morning was a huge pancake breakfast.

I truly enjoyed my stay here. (AGAIN: just a donation is asked for. PLease give.) HH

Jumpstart
09-26-2002, 21:16
Just my opinion, but this I think this is one of those "must stay" places on the trail. Chances are you will be going to Hiawasee anyway, and this will be your first real exposure to the wonders of people that provide services for thru-hikers. Gary and Lennie were amazing people, going out of their way to greet everyone, they do your laundry, and provide comfortable sleeping quarters and an amazing breakfast. I was actaully a bit skittish at the idea of staying here when I found out that they are such devout Chrsitians ( being an atheist), I thought I would be uncomfortable and pressured, but they did anything but, just went out of their way to be wonderful folks. As I said on the trail "Great place to go to restore your faith in humanity..."..this year was donations only and I found myslef wishing I had even more to give them.....

The Weasel
09-27-2002, 01:08
About Gary and his wife being very devout Christians...

Georgia call itself, with a lot of truth, "the buckle of the Bible Belt." And rural Joe-juh (that's how you'd better pronounce it, Yankee trash!) is very emphatically Baptist, among other denominations.

When I got to the Blueberry Patch, I noted that there were a few Bible tracts discreetly placed in a small bowl on the common table in the bunkhouse. And I chatted with Gary briefly about reading the Bible - I raised the topic, not him - and later that evening he mentioned that he was leading Bible Study at - of all places - the local EMS/Ambulance facility for the on-duty rescue staff. (Let's discuss First Amendment separation of church and state later, OK?) Lacking anything better to do, I joined him, although as a pretty liberal Episcopalian, there ain't a lot of dogma that we have in common, and I'm usually not a big one for "let's read these verses and talk about how God makes us better than all them heathens out there."

It was a blast! Gary is just a truly authentically nice person, with a real gift of enjoying the Bible as if it was the religious equivalent to the Thruhiker's Handbook (which makes sense, since both he and his wife have done the whole AT). The section we read was about Moses handing in his resignation to God - yeah, he tried - and Gary and these burly firefighters and I enjoyed the fact - and I'd never thought about it - that the Bible portrays God with a real sense of humor ("You want to fight with me, Moses? Your arms aren't long enough!"). I made several new friends, learned some new viewpoints, and spent an enjoyable evening.

I had to come off the trail for 2 days for a medical problem three days later, and stayed with Gary again and rode into town with him. On the way back, he mentioned that not everyone in his church - one of the larger Baptist congregations - really fully agreed with him taking in these smelly, strange people called "thruhikers". I mentioned to him that it seemed to me that it was his own "mission" in life. He gave me kind of a strange look, and said, "You know...I've always felt that, but you're the first to ever say that."

If you get to the B' Patch, and just want a good bunk, a fine breakfast and companionship, you'll get it, and no one will "push religion" in any way on you. But one of the real kinds of "trail magic" is meeting people and learning about them; Gary and his wife are the best kind of Christians, whose words are few and whose actions are kind, and this is a quiet side of Gary that is a wondrous thing, and not to be avoided. "I was a stranger and you gave me shelter" isn't just a verse in a book read on Sunday to them.

The Weasel

Former Admin
09-27-2002, 01:24
So whats in store for us catholics in the bible belt, ah forget it!

The Weasel
09-27-2002, 13:30
Catholics? Well, actually quite a lot (contrary to the opinion of some, Catholics HAVE been known to read the Bible, and yeah, it's the same Bible, OK?) for them; virtually every trail town has a Catholic Church in or nearby. When desperate, ROMAN Catholics can also hang out at Episcopal Churches (more common), since us Episcopalians are virtually identical to Roman Catholicism in form of worship, and communion is open to all (as is the case with most Protestant churches). And when you get to the B' Patch and tell Gary, "Hey! I'm Catholic!" (if you bother), he's likely to say, "Cool. Here's the basket for your laundry." (Free laundry included in price, dried AND folded!).

Tellico Gap
03-11-2003, 14:19
The Tellico Gap hostel in NC is CLOSED.

Trespassers will be prosecuted.

Please plan accordingly.

To see more details check out the thread under Hostels & Lodging in NC on this site.

Jack Tarlin
03-11-2003, 16:02
There aren't many places to attend Mass near the Trail, at least not until you get further North.

Mass is performed by the Jesuits in Hot Springs, tho I'm not sure if this is done daily. Also, Bob and Pat Peoples of Kincora Hostel will happily take you to Mass if you're there on Sunday. There is also the Catholic Church hostel in Pearisburg.

There is a church in Waynesboro also. And, there's one in Harper's Ferry that is open for prayer, but services are no longer performed.

It gets easier as you head North: Duncannon and Stroudsburg (near Delaware Water Gap) have churches, as do some of the New Jersey and New York communities near the Trail. And after you enter New England, there are Catholic churches all over the place; Cheshire, Mass in particular.

Here in Hanover, St. Dennis, my church, welcomes hikers of all denominations; it sits directly ON the Trail as you head North out of town.

In my experience, thru-hikers have been welcomed at any church they choose to attend, regardless of whether or not they are observers of that particular faith---I've been to Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, Episcopal, Presbyterian, Congregationalist, Church of Christ, Unitarian, you name it, and I've been welcomed at all of them.

Keep an open mind, participate in the services as much as you choose, be respectful of others, and try to clean up as much as possible before going, but by all means go if you feel like going, regardless of what type of church it is.

No, there aren't many places for Catholics to worship on the Trail, at least not down South, but by all means , attend services elsewhere. The phone might appear a bit different at first, but I assure you the calls all go to the same place.

Jack Tarlin
03-11-2003, 16:04
Forgot one thing in my last post. This thread started out as a discussion of the Blueberry Patch.

Weasel's right. Great place, great folks.

smokymtnsteve
03-12-2003, 08:56

Chappy
01-05-2004, 04:27
Of all of the places that I stayed in my first thruhike attempt (GA->VA '00), the Blueberry Patch has the fondest memories. First of all, it's a spartan place with a lot of heart: Decent bunks, a small common area, a fridge, fuel, and more stuff. Gary and his wife put on a VERY nice breakfast (small additional charge) of blueberry pancakes. But what made it special for me was that Gary and his wife invited me to join them and their family for Easter Sunday "sunrise" services, and made me feel like a part of their family, not just some cleaned-up trail trash that they were being patronizing to or making a few bucks off of. They don't push, or even really mention, their religion, so don't get me wrong; but they live it in the finest way I can imagine, through kindness and fellowship. And pancakes.

The Weasel

"Well a promise made, is a debt unpaid, and the Trail has its own stern code." -- Robert Service

This place sounds very interesting. I think this is in Hiawassee? How far from the trail? Directions from the trail?

Lugnut
01-05-2004, 11:29
The Blueberry Patch is on the last road in north Georgia between the trail and Hiawasse. It's only a couple or three miles but Gary makes a lot of trips back and forth during thru-hiker season. If you choose to stay there you will guaranteed fond memories. Gary and Lennie are two of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Red Hat
03-26-2004, 11:23
Since it is a "must see", after a night at the Hiawassee Inn (March 19th), I started to hike down to the Blueberry Patch (8 miles or so out of Hiawassee). Of course I didn't get very far before a gentleman offered me a ride. Hikers have no trouble getting rides and don't usually need your thumbs... Anyway, I was really excited to meet Gary and Lennie Poteet. There were 7 of us that night and we really had a great time. We shuttled into town for dinner, then back. Of course, we had the most amazing breakfast with Lennies fresh homemade blueberry syrup. It was a day I will never forget. They have envelopes for donations, but ask nothing. I felt led to give freely. The register was signed by many folks I had been wanting to meet, but unfortunately did not have time to catch. This was my last night of spring break and it was an amazing adventure.

TickPicker
08-15-2005, 08:20
how do you contact these fine folks?????

TickPicker

Lone Wolf
08-15-2005, 08:54
706-896-4893

Skyline
08-15-2005, 09:26
When I was at the BB in '99, the cost was $17 for bunk or tent space, laundry, breakfast, and ride back to the trail. It was well worth it, and I found the Poteets very nice people. The breakfast was AWESOME.

I hope by going donations-only they don't hurt themselves financially. At the time they seemed to partially depend on their Spring hostel income.

Having just gushed about the Blueberry Patch, I'll admit (at the time) I could have done without the hands-around-the-table mini prayer breakfast, but in hindsight that just became one of the great diversities of the AT. So the lesson learned: Celebrate diversity, all of it, even that which you can't really get into.

Spiritual Pillgrim
03-13-2006, 14:46
The Patch was my 1st zero day. Glad it was there. Nuff said.

minnesotasmith
03-06-2008, 22:53
I know it is mostly being bypassed by this year's thruhikers in favor of Cloud 9. That said, has ANYONE staying there this year?

I'm curious in part BC I stayed there when I thrued in 2006, and want some idea if it's going to still be there when/if I thru again in 2009, as I am considering. (The other reason is that I sent them some TM, and was wondering if anyone is getting any use out of it.)

KG4FAM
03-06-2008, 23:12
I am defiantly staying at the blueberry patch this year.

minnesotasmith
03-06-2008, 23:17
I am defiantly staying at the blueberry patch this year.

Kind people running a perfectly fine hostel where you can shower, sleep, and have your clothes washed and folded for you by the lady of the house for no extra charge (!). (She knows how to handle hiker-materials, too.)

There are plenty of donated toiletries in their bathroom, so you don't have to worry about putting soap, shampoo, shaving cream, etc. in a maildrop you send there. Do hit the bathroom a bit sooner than you otherwise might, though, as it is a bit of a distance from the bunkroom.:eek:;)

Skyline
03-06-2008, 23:33
There aren't many places to attend Mass near the Trail, at least not until you get further North.

Mass is performed by the Jesuits in Hot Springs, tho I'm not sure if this is done daily. Also, Bob and Pat Peoples of Kincora Hostel will happily take you to Mass if you're there on Sunday. There is also the Catholic Church hostel in Pearisburg.

There is a church in Waynesboro also. And, there's one in Harper's Ferry that is open for prayer, but services are no longer performed.

It gets easier as you head North: Duncannon and Stroudsburg (near Delaware Water Gap) have churches, as do some of the New Jersey and New York communities near the Trail. And after you enter New England, there are Catholic churches all over the place; Cheshire, Mass in particular.

Here in Hanover, St. Dennis, my church, welcomes hikers of all denominations; it sits directly ON the Trail as you head North out of town.

In my experience, thru-hikers have been welcomed at any church they choose to attend, regardless of whether or not they are observers of that particular faith---I've been to Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, Episcopal, Presbyterian, Congregationalist, Church of Christ, Unitarian, you name it, and I've been welcomed at all of them.

Keep an open mind, participate in the services as much as you choose, be respectful of others, and try to clean up as much as possible before going, but by all means go if you feel like going, regardless of what type of church it is.

No, there aren't many places for Catholics to worship on the Trail, at least not down South, but by all means , attend services elsewhere. The phone might appear a bit different at first, but I assure you the calls all go to the same place.

There are also Catholic churches in:

Elizabethton TN (Sacred Heart), Johnson City TN (St. Mary's), Abingdon VA (Christ The King), Marion VA (St. John's), Elkton VA (Holy Infant), Luray VA (Our Lady of the Valley), Front Royal VA (St. John's), and Waynesboro PA (St. Andrew's). Some of these are not towns immediately adjacent to the AT (though some are) but are next to adjacent towns and not that difficult to hitch to.

KG4FAM
03-06-2008, 23:37
I am defiantly staying at the blueberry patch this year.Not defiantly, but definitely. Damn spell check and public education.

Skidsteer
03-06-2008, 23:39
Not defiantly, but definitely. Damn spell check and public education.

I dunno. 'Defiantly staying' at the Blueberry Patch has a certain zest to it.
:D

Appalachian Tater
03-07-2008, 00:08
There are also Catholic churches in:

Elizabethton TN (Sacred Heart), Johnson City TN (St. Mary's), Abingdon VA (Christ The King), Marion VA (St. John's), Elkton VA (Holy Infant), Luray VA (Our Lady of the Valley), Front Royal VA (St. John's), and Waynesboro PA (St. Andrew's). Some of these are not towns immediately adjacent to the AT (though some are) but are next to adjacent towns and not that difficult to hitch to.

Can't Catholics use Episcopal churches in a pinch?

GGS2
03-07-2008, 00:12

Not according to the current Pope.

KG4FAM
03-07-2008, 00:22
Can't Catholics use Episcopal churches in a pinch?I am Baptist and use Episcopal churches as my second choice. Confuses the heck out of those Episcopalians, but I lived in a Episcopal school gym for a couple of months so it is quite normal for me.

Lilred
03-07-2008, 13:01

Noooooo it's a sin for a catholic to go to any other church :rolleyes:

The Weasel
03-07-2008, 13:30

People of all faiths - Catholics, other Christians, even non-Christians - are always welcome to join us in Episcopal Churches. In many, the service is similar to that in Roman Catholic Churches, and many Catholics feel very comfortable with that. But everyone - every age, every belief, every race - is welcome in our Church. Church rules formally provide that any baptized Christian can join in the communion feast, but many - if not most - Episcopal churches welcome anyone to the communion rail, and no one asks a visitor in advance what their faith is.

Catholics can 'use' our church even when it's not 'in a pinch'. :D

TW

Jan LiteShoe
03-07-2008, 13:36
Gary and his wife are the best kind of Christians, whose words are few and whose actions are kind, and this is a quiet side of Gary that is a wondrous thing, and not to be avoided. "I was a stranger and you gave me shelter" isn't just a verse in a book read on Sunday to them.

The Weasel

I spent my birthday under Gary and Lennie's tender care. I'd had some upsets at that point in my thruhike, and their tender goodness - just their natural way of being - rearranged my thinking about things.
I wrote about that here, although don't read if you are hungry:):
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=27991

Some people try to change you with words; others LIVE their truth, and let the chips fall where they may. To say I was impressed with them is an understatement.
The Peoples at Kincorra are another set of such understated people living their convictions. Inspriations, all.

The Weasel
03-07-2008, 14:12
Of all of the places I stopped in '00, I have the warmest feelings for Gary and Lennie. If you don't mention it, you will never know that it is their way of living Matthew 25:35. I found that out by accident, and it has warmed me ever since.

TW

Cherokee Bill
03-07-2008, 14:17
yOOOO, Jumpstart, think you'll ever do another "Thru-hke?

minnesotasmith
03-07-2008, 15:35
Of all of the places I stopped in '00, I have the warmest feelings for Gary and Lennie. If you don't mention it, you will never know that it is their way of living Matthew 25:35. I found that out by accident, and it has warmed me ever since.

TW

But, I find it hard to put the BP above Pine Ellis in Andover, ME (where they CARED), or Miss Janet's, where when I collapsed from illness, I was HOME when I got back there.

It's so great we have multiple wonderful people like these making up part of the Trail community. People are what make the AT.

Sly
03-07-2008, 16:40
There's all sorts of fine folks on the trail that run hostels, and I don't like choosing one over another as being the best, but if I had to, it would have to be Kincora.

PS No smoking on Blueberry property.

The Weasel
03-07-2008, 18:05
There's all sorts of fine folks on the trail that run hostels, and I don't like choosing one over another as being the best, but if I had to, it would have to be Kincora.

PS No smoking on Blueberry property.

Sly and MS are right, of course. I don't mean to minimize others' kindness. I do note, however, that Gary seemed very surprised when I mentioned to him, after watching what he was like for a couple of days, that it was a 'mission' for them. I think that's something people aren't supposed to notice, and it was warming to see someone living their religion to people they did not know, without mentioning it. I have no doubt there are others the same way, and that's a wondrous thing.

TW

tenn_hiker
04-30-2011, 21:57
i stayed there on Wednesday to ride out the storms.. im glad i did.. it was a great experience, i loved the breakfast.. i just wish i had more to donate to them.. i will definalty stay there again when i thru hike!
thanks for the awesome hospitality Gary!

LittleBearK
01-15-2012, 11:26
I looked on the hikerhostel website and it says donation for cost to stay at blueberry patch, those that have stayed and had breakfast, around how much did you donate?

Thanks!!!

Tinker
01-16-2012, 01:16
Sly and MS are right, of course. I don't mean to minimize others' kindness. I do note, however, that Gary seemed very surprised when I mentioned to him, after watching what he was like for a couple of days, that it was a 'mission' for them. I think that's something people aren't supposed to notice, and it was warming to see someone living their religion to people they did not know, without mentioning it. I have no doubt there are others the same way, and that's a wondrous thing.

TW

I stayed there in '06 specifically because I'd heard that they were Christian. They don't push it on anyone else and really do live their faith. They pray over the food, but that's all the "religion" you'll get out of them unless you ask. Wonderful people. I wish them well. :)