PDA

View Full Version : question is there a way to get on the appalachian trail in boone n.c?

Sugar33
10-15-2009, 22:01
This May Be A Dumb Question But I Never Been On The Appalachian Before I Had Heard That It Does Go Through Boone N.c If So How Do U Get On It In Boone From Were? Also How Do U Get On The Trail In Gatlinburg Tn Im Really Trying To Find Out Whats The Closest Town To Me Were I Can Get On The Trail? I Live In Fayetteville Nc Any Help Would Be Apprecated Thanks

Jack Tarlin
10-15-2009, 22:09
Boone is very close to Hampton TN where the Trail crosses Rt.321.

And from Gatlinburg. take Rt. 441 a few miles to the Trail crossing at Newfound Gap.

Marta
10-15-2009, 22:12
This May Be A Dumb Question But I Never Been On The Appalachian Before I Had Heard That It Does Go Through Boone N.c If So How Do U Get On It In Boone From Were? Also How Do U Get On The Trail In Gatlinburg Tn Im Really Trying To Find Out Whats The Closest Town To Me Were I Can Get On The Trail? I Live In Fayetteville Nc Any Help Would Be Apprecated Thanks

Probably the easiest access from Boone is to go to Damascus, VA. It's a pretty easy drive, maybe half an hour.

If you have the AT map of that section, it'll show you the intersecting state highways.

From Fayetteville, your best bet is probably to drive north, towards VA. The AT angles east about as much as it goes north in TN and SW VA. You're probably closer to Marion, VA, than you are to Boone, because Marion is further east.

Grits
10-15-2009, 22:19
The AT does not go near Boone but you can drive Hwy 421 North into Tenn and catch it at Shady Valley or 321 North to Watauga Lake both about 45 min drive from Boone. You can drive over to Newland and catch 19E and catch it just at the Tenn line outside Roan Mtn. this is about an hour drive. I would mapquest going down to Columbia SC to I26 up to Asheville to I40 West to Exit 451 or just take I26 past Mars Hill to Sams Gap. Hope this is of some help.

Tennessee Viking
10-15-2009, 22:20
This May Be A Dumb Question But I Never Been On The Appalachian Before I Had Heard That It Does Go Through Boone N.c If So How Do U Get On It In Boone From Were? Also How Do U Get On The Trail In Gatlinburg Tn Im Really Trying To Find Out Whats The Closest Town To Me Were I Can Get On The Trail? I Live In Fayetteville Nc Any Help Would Be Apprecated ThanksThere is no AT trailhead in Boone.

Nearest AT trailheads to Boone are 19E (only park at Mtn Harbor B&B), Carvers Gap, and Hughes Gap around Roan Mtn, TN. You can also follow the forest road from Elk River falls

Then Jack's hint of Hampton, you can access the trail at southern end of Watauga Lake at US321, Laurel Falls Blue Blaze on the edge of Hampton, and up at Dennis Cove.

The Mountains to Sea Trail does pass near Boone though. Its mostly road route along the Parkway from Beacon Heights to Devils Overlook. Borders Grandfather Mtn and enters the Parkway Parks until Blowing Rock. To the south of Beacon Heights it enters the Harpers Creek/Upper Creek backcountry, Linville Gorge, and back up to Mt Mitchell.

Grits
10-15-2009, 22:20
Damascus is about an 1 hours drive from Boone hwy 421 North then you catch hwy 91 in Mountain City Tenn. to Damascus.

Sugar33
10-15-2009, 23:42
ok thanks so much for the info i apprecate it. im partally blind i wanna hike it someday

modiyooch
10-16-2009, 09:05
it crosses i40 roughly at the nc/tn line.

From Fayetteville, your closes access points would be VA.