PDA

View Full Version : Make your own AquaMira drops?

Manwich
10-16-2009, 09:44
Does anybody know the chemicals used in the Mix-for-5-minutes AquaMira drops? Don't you suppose there has to be some release of information for their formula, where one can purchase the chemicals in bulk, and perhaps resell to persons on Whiteblaze?

think0075
10-16-2009, 09:49
just put bleach in empty aqua mira container. three drops to one liter.

Manwich
10-16-2009, 09:55
I meant to mimic AquaMira's chemicals. Bleach doesn't sit well with my throat for some reason. Tried it a bunch of times, even at lower dosages.

Jayboflavin04
10-16-2009, 10:05
Isnt the activating chemical Phosphoric Acid.....If that is the case. That is a very strong acid. Be careful. I do believe phosphoric acid is stronger than Hydrochloric. Also to buy it in bulk you would need to know the correct concentration of the chemicals.....or u dont get a good reaction.

think0075
10-16-2009, 10:05
then go to your local pool supply store and get some chlorine

Spokes
10-16-2009, 10:13
................... Don't you suppose there has to be some release of information for their formula, where one can purchase the chemicals in bulk, and perhaps resell to persons on Whiteblaze?

I'd be afraid my neighbors would report me trying to set up a home meth lab fiddling around with the chemicals needed to do all that.

The question then becomes, would you trust your water treatment method to someone who mixed up some homemade concoction in his bathroom?

Captn
10-16-2009, 10:17
According to the MSDS sheets Part A of Aquamira is 2% stabilized Chlorine Dioxide and Part B is Phosphoric Acid, although I don't know the concentration.

Chlorine Dioxide is not a naturally occurring chemical but you can purchase the chemicals needed to produce it, namely sodium Chlorite and Citric Acid.

Look up chlorine Dioxide on google and I'm sure you can find places to sell you the stuff.

Fiddleback
10-16-2009, 10:32
just put bleach in empty aqua mira container. three drops to one liter.

In general, bleach is near the bottom of the list of chemical water treatments for on the trail. It is far less effective than chlorine dioxide when it comes to giardia and crypto and probably less effective than iodine, too. Bleach does, however, a fair job sterilizing cookware, dishes, etc. and against bacteria in water (although I think it has problems with bacteria found in bio-slime where much of the bacteria resides).

FB

Snowleopard
10-16-2009, 15:49
Basically, if you have to ask the question on WB then you probably don't know enough to do this safely.
MSDS for aquamira: http://aquamira.com/consumer/aquamira-water-treatment-drops/9150-9_msds_aquamira_water_treatment_drops_part_a.pdf
Chlorine in rather low concentrations is a powerful respiratory irritant. So is chlorine dioxide.

From the MSDS for chlorine dioxide:
INHALATION: Harmful if inhaled. Coughing, headaches, labored breathing, nausea, shortness of breath,
pulmonary edema.
CHRONIC HEALTH EFFECTS
May have effects on lungs, resulting in chronic bronchitis and permanent lung damage

peakbagger
10-16-2009, 16:47
We used to make chlorine dioxide at the pulp mill I worked at as a bleach subsitute. It was real unstable stuff. It was stored in a cold solution of water, if it went into a gas phase and pressurized somewhat it would "rapidily decompose" aka a "puff" which to an average person was a controlled explosion. I expect that one of the reasons it works so well for water treatment is that it rapidly breaks down once its done its thing.

NitroSteel
10-16-2009, 19:25
What would be the point of making the stuff instead of buying it? Is it really that expensive to buy?

NitroSteel
10-16-2009, 19:25
Or that hard to find? Don't they have it at Wal-Mart?

MikenSalem
10-16-2009, 20:59
Compared to buying the chems and tinkering with the mix, then guinea pigging the product, wouldn't it be cheeper and healthier to just buy the stuff? After all you can only tell if it made you sick not, that it killed off everything like the Aquamira anyway.. Next we'll be mixing our own isobutane for stoves

El Toro '94
10-16-2009, 23:48
I was thinking along these lines a couple of months ago,so I called up a friend who works as an engineer for a water supply district and asked him about it. He said that they lease a generator to make chlorine dioxide for the primary sanitizing/purification process, and mere mortals couldn't buy the precursor chemicals without the proper documentation/license/permit. Also that it was really unstable stuff and that they only made enough for immediate usage. More trouble, both time and financial than I want to go to instead of buying polarpure for $10 or so, and have that last me my entire thruhike.

Manwich
10-16-2009, 23:51
Okay so the answer is a resounding No.

10-4 Rubber ducky

Jofish
10-17-2009, 00:51
I'd say definitely NO, don't do it. It isn't worth the risk to your health. Hell, I work in a lab and with acids all the time and even I wouldn't bother. Its unstable and if you make a small calculation error it could spell real problems. Like lung failure or death.

I don't know whats getting into me tonight, but I'm on a HUGE science kick here on WB.

To clarify something that someone said, pure hydrochloric acid is MUCH more dangerous than pure phosphoric acid. And, if you're curious, the most dangerous acid in the world is hydroflouric acid.

Wise Old Owl
10-17-2009, 02:45
I am going to put in a tiny little vote that this is a bad idea for too many reasons. Don't want to offend anyone but the current company is just fine by me.

harryfred
10-17-2009, 02:51
The trick with house hold bleach (unscented), Is three drops per liter, a few more won't hurt. Shake the container up, then let it set open for 30 min. or so seal it and leave it alone for a couple of hours. Add a small plastic funnel and funnel shaped coffee filters for floaties. This isn't the best water filtration but it is CHEAP, light and available.

fiddlehead
10-17-2009, 03:14
1 drop for litre is what i use (bleach)
Wait 20 minutes. Twice as long if the water is really cold.
No need for overkill.
My opinion.

Tuney
10-17-2009, 06:27
...More trouble, both time and financial than I want to go to instead of buying polarpure for $10 or so, and have that last me my entire thruhike.

I've used Polarpure for years and never had a problem however, I found the following research article from the Aquamira web site pretty interesting:

http://aquamira.com/consumer/aquamira-water-treatment-drops/BPL_2_Efficacy-of-Water.pdf (http://aquamira.com/consumer/aquamira-water-treatment-drops/BPL_2_Efficacy-of-Water.pdf)

Jayboflavin04
10-17-2009, 10:28
I'd say definitely NO, don't do it. It isn't worth the risk to your health. Hell, I work in a lab and with acids all the time and even I wouldn't bother. Its unstable and if you make a small calculation error it could spell real problems. Like lung failure or death.

I don't know whats getting into me tonight, but I'm on a HUGE science kick here on WB.

To clarify something that someone said, pure hydrochloric acid is MUCH more dangerous than pure phosphoric acid. And, if you're curious, the most dangerous acid in the world is hydroflouric acid.

Thanks been a while since I was a Chem major.

Captn
10-19-2009, 18:35
I would disagree with this statement ....

The most dangerous acid in the world is the one you happen to have in front of you. TREAT them ALL as if they are the most dangerous chemical in the world, because, short answer is, they can ALL kill you.

Although Hydrofluoric is a particularly nasty way to die .. a spot about the size of a quarter will do you in ... it has a real affinity for calcium ... so it goes straight to the bone.

BitBucket
10-19-2009, 18:49
Aqua Mira drops aren't that expensive. I'm not sure of who here would want to trust someone else to mixing chemicals to treat their water.

The liability issue alone would be something that would keep me from wanting to do that....when you start distributing the stuff you come under a whole different set of rules and regulations...

Consumption is one thing...distribution is another....

Dances with Mice
10-19-2009, 19:39
To clarify something that someone said, pure hydrochloric acid is MUCH more dangerous than pure phosphoric acid. And, if you're curious, the most dangerous acid in the world is hydroflouric acid.Jay-zus, just buy water treatment chemicals. There are no advantages in going the DIY route.

HCl, H2SO4 and H3PO4 can all ruin your sunny day and good work clothes. But phosphoric is also an oxidizer and it raises the blood pressure of hazmat first responders more than the other two. It can do funny exothermic things with hydrocarbons. Hydrochloric and -sulfuric plus oil or fat make soap even if the fat is under your shiny skin. But they are also great at degreasing floors, an unintended side effect of dumping a tub, and those guys in bunny suits and rubber boots really don't like slippery acidic floors for some reason. But phosphoric can make flaming slippery acidic floors and that ratchets up their level of cussing at careless, newly jobless chemical operators several levels.

Hydrofluoric is a whole different ballgame. Stuff that eats through freakin' glass is sending the world message that the wise should heed.